Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 11:28 AM   #61  

Hello everyone!
I am new to this forum, I am terrified of surgery, and after reading all of the posts about the lapband, I am feeling more hopeful. I figured the lapband was the less risky of the two typpes of weight loss surgeries...... I had some terrible experiences in the past with surgery ( I woke up in the middle of one, and tried to get off the operating table and leave!) I know that was many years ago, but it has been keeping me stuck. Any words of wisdom, and encouragement would be greatly apppreciated!
Old 09-19-2005, 12:41 PM   #62  
LivinNY

Default Hi.. Bandster new to 3fc

Hi.. I am new to the 3FC site... I am a bandster.. banded on April 6, 2005.
I am now 5 months out and have lost 34lbs... looking forward to chatting
Old 04-30-2006, 11:33 PM   #63  

I'm considering lapband surgery but here in Canada it's so expensive! $18,000!
Old 05-15-2006, 11:18 AM   #64  
iwasskinnyonce

Me and my sister in law are both overweight, for the last several years we have both struggled to just maintain a size 16-18. Recently, she went in for what we were all told was gallbladder removal and mysteriously she has been losing weight! I think she ALSO had the laproscopic banding or G.B. during this procedure, everyone has been real secretive in her camp like my husband's brother, friends etc. I don't know why she wouldn't just admit it, it is almost cruel for her to claim that her gallbladder surgery has caused her to loose 20 pounds! SHE knows FIRST hand how my weight bothers me, but we don't have insurance (my hubby is self employed) and we can't take out a loan or take from the business for me to have it done, it has recently been started by a group of doctors in my area. I feel so desperate and upset that she might be lying and secretly had this surgery, can anyone give me some insight before I pull all of my hair out?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #65  
Old Cackler

darlin - at a size 16-18, it's doubtful that she had a gastric bypass. she'd be too thin for that, and unless she had so much money that she didn't need the insurance company, there's almost no way that she could have talked her insurance company into covering it [notice i said ALMOST no way - there may be some exceptions out there].

as for Lapband - i just don't know. which upsets you more? the possibility that she didn't tell you and kept this secret? or that she had the surgery?

you have a couple of choices here. you can take a deep breath and ask her CALMLY. and listen calmly to her answer. OR, you could just congratulate her on her weight loss. OR you could just ask her how she's feeling.

or you could act as if nothing had happened.

no matter what, may i suggest that you focus on yourself and the changes YOU want to make, rather on what someone else may or may not have done? that may sound a bit harsh, but let's face it - who's hurting here - it's YOU, and no one needs that kind of pain.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:23 PM   #66  

First I have to say that I don't see what this post has to do with the Lap-Band (which is afterall the point of this thread).

Second ... You have a serious issue here. And it isn't whether or not your sister-in-law had weight loss surgery.

You're guessing that she had weight loss surgery - but the fact is that you don't know. As to why she didn't tell you, if in fact she did have weight loss surgery ... gee maybe because it isn't really any of your business?

Given your reaction and your obvious jealousy (and accusations of cruelty on her part) ... if she did have WLS that she knows you cannot afford, perhaps she didn't tell you because she didn't want to deal with your baggage.

By the way ... after I had my gall bladder removed several years ago I took very seriously my doctor's admonition to stop eating fatty foods. As a result I lost weight after my surgery.

The reality of the increased surgical risks due to excess weight could have motivated her to make some lifestyle changes.

There are a number of reasons why she may be loosing weight. There are a number of reasons why (if she did indeed have surgery) that she wouldn't have told you she did.

Either way the issues you have with this are your issues and I think before you approach your sister-in-law you should work them out for yourself.

Last edited by VeggyMom; 05-15-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:27 AM   #67  

Default Researching....

Hi. I'm new to this, and am researching whether or not I think a lapband is for me.

My question is.. how did your relationship with food change once you got the band?

In my family, everything is celebrated with food. Everyone eats and eats until they feel about to pop. Everyone LOVES food. (I guess I should be saying "I" and not "everyone" and take some responsibility here too!)

So, once you get the band, how does it change the relationship with food? Do you still love it? Does it become a love/hate thing? Does it stay pretty much the same, but just in smaller quantities?

When you go to family affairs, do you feel deprived? Heck, do you feel deprived on a daily basis? Do you wish you could eat more? When I went on diets, I always felt like I was being punished, especially when I saw my relatives eating and eating. But, I think if I could feel full, I would feel better about it all...

Anyways, just looking for some insights!

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2006, 11:06 AM   #68  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet-tweet
Hi. I'm new to this, and am researching whether or not I think a lapband is for me.

My question is.. how did your relationship with food change once you got the band?

In my family, everything is celebrated with food. Everyone eats and eats until they feel about to pop. Everyone LOVES food. (I guess I should be saying "I" and not "everyone" and take some responsibility here too!)

So, once you get the band, how does it change the relationship with food? Do you still love it? Does it become a love/hate thing? Does it stay pretty much the same, but just in smaller quantities?

When you go to family affairs, do you feel deprived? Heck, do you feel deprived on a daily basis? Do you wish you could eat more? When I went on diets, I always felt like I was being punished, especially when I saw my relatives eating and eating. But, I think if I could feel full, I would feel better about it all...

Anyways, just looking for some insights!

Thanks!

Tweet,

Let me tell you ... I love to cook. I love to try new foods. I love to eat out. I love food. Period. My family loves food. They love my cooking, the love to try new things. We're a food family.

And I have to say that I love it more now that I have my Lap-Band.

Sounds crazy, right? It isn't I promise.

I have enough of a fill in my band to limit my food intake but not so much that I have food intolerances. I am able to eat anything I want to eat for the most part. Really soft, spongy white bread doesn't sit well - but I figure I can live without that.

I used to have two stages. Starving and So-Stuffed-I-Can-Barely-Breathe. There was very little in between for me. I ate fast, I ate a lot and I rarely enjoyed the sensation of being satisfied with my meal.

Now that I eat slower I get to truly enjoy the smells, tastes, textures and appearance of my food. Now that I get full and feel satisfied without feeling like I am about to burst I get to really enjoy the satisfaction of a good meal.

I had more of a love/hate relationship with food before my band. I loved food. I hated knowing that my love affair with food was making me fat. I loved eating. I hated how fat my overeating made me. I loved everything to do with food; buying it, shopping for the tools to prepare it, preparing it, eating it. I hated how out of control food could make me feel.

Now I am in control. I still love cooking (and everything that goes into cooking). I still love eating. But now I am no longer a slave to the food. I have a level of control that I haven't had in years.

Do I feel deprived? Nope. But that's because I don't deprive myself. But now if I want some desert I have desert. Of course I have a couple of bites of key lime pie instead of a whole slice. If I want a food that is rich I have it. But I eat it in moderation.

Yes, there may be some things I find I have to give up. I may, at some point, find a food I cannot tolerate. But you know what ... there is a whole world of delicious food out there. I need not feel deprived just because I can't have one or two of the several million foods out there.

I have taken up this challenge to find new and exciting ways to prepare my favourite foods so that they are leaner and healthier. I have taken up the challenge to find new favourites.

But that doesn't mean that I will give up everything I loved for a life of deprivation. I already know that doesn't work. I never has. It never will.

I have found though, that there is a huge difference between having fresh steamed vegetables in a bechamel sauce and only eating 3/4 of a cup of the dish and eating 2 cups.

All things in moderation.

My Lap-Band makes moderation an attainable goal for me. I couldn't have done it before. But I am amazed at what I can walk away from now. Not because I 'have to' but becasue I 'want to' or because I couldn't care less if I tried.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:46 AM   #69  

Smile Finding a doc?

Hello everyone. I have been thinking of having a lap band or the ballloon procedure in Mexico. I am unsure of how to choose a doc. I have studied many websites and spoken to many of their assistants but I have yet to make a decision. How does one go about checking a doc out? Can anyone offer some advice or give a doc referal?
Old 05-20-2006, 12:51 AM   #70  

Hi Marea! I can't really help you about Mexico doctors... but I was wondering how much money the Lap bands cost in Mexico. I saw something that said to expect to pay about $10K in Mexico, which is what the clinic here charges (in Phx, AZ).... if that really is what it costs in Mexico, then I'm not sure why people go there. I'm guessing that the article I read was incorrect or out of date?
Old 05-21-2006, 01:24 AM   #71  

Yes, In Mexico I have seen it from about 8500 - 10,000.
I am in GA. and the cost here is around 18 - 25,000.
Have you heard of the balloon surgery?
Old 05-21-2006, 09:00 AM   #72  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marea
Yes, In Mexico I have seen it from about 8500 - 10,000.
I am in GA. and the cost here is around 18 - 25,000.
Have you heard of the balloon surgery?
If you are considering having surgery in Mexico there are a couple very important things to keep in mind.

#1 - After care with the band is extremely important. Without proper adjustments there is no way the Band will work for you. Make sure you have local after care lined up before you have the surgery.

Many surgeons are hesitant to accept patients for after care if they did not do the surgery themselves. This is for two primary reasons. A) Their schedules are full with their own surgical patients. Taking on patients from other doctors can take away from the time they have to care for their own patients. B) Liability/malpractice issues.

As a result it can be difficult to line up competent and knowledgeable after care. Be sure you have this in place before hand. Patients whose doctors are less experienced with placing the band can have higher complication rates and patients whose doctors are less experienced with band after care do not lose weight at the same rate as patients of more experienced doctors.

#2 - Make sure you carefully research the surgeon in Mexico and their facilities. There is no option for suing for malpractice if you have surgery in Mexico. So make sure that you choose a surgeon who has modern, clean facilities and who is experienced in doing peforming Lap-Band surgery.

On the balloon surgery ... the only thing that I have read about it is that its primary use (and what it was designed for) was intended to be as a temporary measure to help super-morbidly obese patients lose weight before having another type of WLS in an effort to reduce surgical risks. If you do a Google search on "weight loss balloon" or "gastric balloon" you'll find some information about it. I found an article at CBC news (out of Canada) and the article clearly states that this device is "designed to help people lose weight temporarily before they undergo gastric bypass surgery, or stomach stapling"

I also found an abstract with the results of a clinical trial for the gastric balloon which stated:

Quote:
Department of Medicine, St Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital, Columbia University, New York, NY 10025.

A study was conducted to test the efficacy and safety of a 300 ml silicone-rubber gastric balloon for weight reduction. Eighty-six obese subjects were distributed into four groups: (1) gastric balloon only, (2) gastric balloon and prescribed 1000 kcal/day (239 kJ) diet, (3) 1000 kcal/day diet only, and (4) no treatment. The intervention period was 3 months. The balloon only group lost 3.2 kg +/- 0.9 (s.e.), the balloon and diet group lost 5.1 +/- 1.0 kg, the diet group lost 6.9 +/- 1.4 kg and the control group gained 0.6 +/- 0.5 kg. The three intervention groups each lost significantly more weight than the control group. The diet only group lost significantly more weight than the balloon only group. Body densitometry showed that the treatment groups lost a significant amount of body fat. Gastroscopy revealed three ulcers and two superficial erosions at balloon removal. The gastric balloons were well tolerated despite gastric spasms and nausea which abated after the initial 24-48 hours. Gastric capacity was determined in a subset of 19 subjects from the two balloon groups before the intervention by distending the stomach with a balloon and calculating the volume required to produce an increase in intragastric pressure of 5 cm H2O. Subjects with a smaller gastric capacity lost more weight with the balloon than subjects with a large capacity (r = 0.45, P less than 0.05). These results suggest that for improved efficacy, balloon volume may need to be larger than 300 ml or adjusted to the individual's gastric capacity.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)
At an estimated cost of $4,000 this doesn't sound like a "solution" that would be of interest to me.

One common thread in each article or medical journal abstract that I have located is that the gastric balloon is temporary. It is not designed or intended to remain in place for life, unlilke the Lap-Band and other weight loss surgeries which permanently alter internal physiology.

Keep searching for information on both the Lap-Band and the gastric ballon.

Best wishes and warmes regards,

Last edited by VeggyMom; 05-21-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:21 PM   #73  

I am looking at Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Rumbart. they both seem to be reputable Docs. However I am very concerned about the fills. Still researching. Thanks for all your help. The article helped a lot.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:29 AM   #74  
iwasskinnyonce

First of all VeggyMOM, it is not about jealousy in the slightest! I am dismayed that you would even suggest that. IT is about the FACT that we have ALWAYS shared our struggles with weight so why the change now? From your posts it is obvious that you are probably not close to your family by taking the non of your business tone, and I am just the opposite we are very close. I really don't mind if she had the surgery or not, but why play a Star Jones and act as if the weight is just magically falling off? HER problem is alcohol, she loves to drink and that has nothing to do with fatty food, she is now not drinking and yet the doctor gave her no restrictions, I was really looking for people who had the banding or lap gastric surgery, as according to the internet you have to have your gallbladder removed for these procedures, it is not about her affording it, and me not, it is really about why she would allow everyone to think that having gallbladder surgery caused a 40 pound weight loss in 4 weeks. I can't imagine that being the result or people would just have their gallbladders removed. It is relevant because I was wondering about the procedure being done at the same time as the gallbladder surgery. I think I will do like the other poster and just ask her flat out, hopefully she would share her insight, and IF I decided to have it done I could get a loan or do a payout which is not unheard of, I would like to know more first though...
Old 05-22-2006, 10:38 AM   #75  
Old Cackler

actually, iwasskinny, there is no rule that says that you have to have your gallbladder out at the same time you have some form of weight loss surgery. many doctors do it, many doctors recommend it, but it's not a REQUIREMENT. i still have my gallbladder. and, of course, many people have their gallbladders removed without the wls. the only person who knows the truth is your sister in law, and probably her husband.

and, based on this last post, it does sound as if you've calmed down considerably from your first post. that's a good sign. good luck to you!
Closed Thread