Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-12-2004, 04:08 PM   #1  

Default I'm so frusterated!!

My mother and father-in-law and my brother and sister-in-law are visiting this week. While I enjoy having them here for the most part, I'm really tired of their negative attitude toward my wls. My sister-in-law just keeps saying, "I don't understand why you did such a thing. I would have just been on a treadmill 12 hours a day to avoid having to do something so drastic." She has said the same thing about 20 times so far. They have all had negative things to say. One of them even said that it was a crazy thing to do. They are a family of very thin people. None of them has had to worry about losing weight ever in their lives. I have explained to them until I'm blue in the face, what my reasons were. It's like it goes in one ear and out the other. Then when we sit down to eat, they make comments like how can you ever have good nutrition eating that way. I'm SOOOOO sick of it. It was my decision, and it's done. I feel better than I have in a number of years. Why can't they just be happy for me. I wish that I could just, once, sit down with them for a meal without feeling self concious about the amount of food that I'm eating. Okay, I'm done. Thanks for letting me vent.
My4Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 06:22 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

one of the biggest issues with WLS is that it affects one's family and friends, even though on some levels that makes absolutely no sense!!!!

there are several key points:

1. we use food for a lot of reasons
2. after the surgery, WE CAN'T so we have to figure out another way to handle emotions and all kinds of other situations
3. we've always been 'the heavy one' and now we're not or we're ALMOST not... and a lot of relationships are set up in that system - changing that is not easy!!!

sooooo monica... we understand. we love you... you're doing great. and just think!!!! you posted here instead of eating or doing something else destructive!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 07:29 PM   #3  

Jiff, you always know the right thing to say. I hadn't thought about it, but you are right. I posted here and didn't eat or punch one of them out (even though the thought did occur to me) . Wow! Talk about an "ah ha" moment! Thanks Jiff.
My4Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote