Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 06:24 PM   #1  
For my HEALTH...

Default WLS or not?

I am brand new to these boards and notice that you seem to know a lot about WLS. I am thinking about WLS. I live in NYC. I have had previous abdominal surgery so I am not sure if I would be a LAP Candidate. I was worried when I saw the posts about AMY came to an abrupt end. Is she is OK? I hope so. I have heard both very positive things about WLS on the internet but also some horror stories. I am very confused at this point.
Pookie88
Old 10-07-2003, 08:47 PM   #2  

I have no idea about Amy, and have not had my surgery yet, but I can tell you that with all operations, there are complications and some risks. It's the same with WLS. But in most cases, the benefits outway the risks. And from the people I have talked to, even the ones that have had bad stories, they usually would do it all again to accomplish what they have done.

I hope that helps (I'm sure you will get many answers to this from people way more experienced then me!!)
Old 10-07-2003, 11:49 PM   #3  
For my HEALTH...

Thanks for your reply Bella23. I hope I also get more. I am just learning about these Boards and I now have figured out about going to the next pages and I see there were additional updates on Amy.
I do have an appointment to see Dr Flancbaum in NYC later this month. I was very hopeful about the whole thing but then I came across a website with horror stories about WLS that have gone badly and I got scared. But now I think I have to take the risk because I am even more scared of continuing to be so heavy.
Anyone else have any experiences with WLS (either good or bad).
Old 10-07-2003, 11:50 PM   #4  
For my HEALTH...

Thanks to Jiffypop for your reply also. --POOKIE88
Old 10-08-2003, 12:09 AM   #5  
For my HEALTH...

Default TEST

TEST
Old 10-08-2003, 08:54 AM   #6  

I had my RNY on June 10th and was also very scared. I'm a single mom of a 14 year old daughter and I support my sister and her three kids. I have a lot of responsibility and as the only bread winner in the family it was a big decision. I'm 35 and my blood pressure was more then stroke level, I couldn't walk down the hall or upstairs anymore without getting short of breath. My ankles would swell way over my shoes every day and I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. My weight was impacting my life in everyway and I felt I was to young to feel that old. My surgery was a huge success and it was the best thing that I've ever done for myself. It was hard and it was uncomfortable but it was worth it and I would have my surgery again in a minute. I was discharged from the hostipal on a Friday and on Sunday I went shopping with my mother (mind you it wasn't a long trip but I was up and out and feeling great). I was back to work in 3 weeks. I've had absolutly no complications and have no problems eating or absorbing the nutrients from what I do eat. I just saw my surgeon on Thursday and all of my blood levels were great and my Pulmonologist has DC'd my CPAP (THANK GOD!!!!!). There are always horror stories and there is always the chance that something terrible could go wrong, and things do go wrong everyday. The most important thing for you to do is to find a very very good surgeon and support group. Every aspect of your life is going to change and the research that you do before your surgery can make it or break it. Read everything and go to the support group meetings, know what your getting into and make sure its the right decision for you. For me, I"ve never made a better decision. In 4 months I've gone from 287 pounds to 218 and have gone from a size 24/26 to an 18. It was the right decision for me and I thank god everyday for the results that I've had and for giving me the strength to make the decision that I did.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:13 PM   #7  

Wink

just a few words from someone who will be 3 weeks post op
thursday

i can't stop praising GOD it was a huge sucess

my doctors say that of what could go wrong is 90% over
the only things left is blood clots so i keep walking
the other is scar tissue closing the holes up but this can be fixed
by going in with a balloon to reopen

i was driving first week because i was not on any pain meds
the only limits i have is to lift anything heavy

i am having problems with certain foods but that is expected

group sessions is the biggest help before operation
heard about alot of complications but everyone said they would
do it again

but the decision has to be for yourself and once you make the
decision i know you will have family support that is impt also

later
bevmel
Old 10-08-2003, 03:20 PM   #8  
it's always something

Amy is doing great, Pookie, thanks for your concern I saw her last week and she looked great! I felt very relieved, as I had been apprehensive about the whole thing.

Bevmel and Chris, it sounds like you guys are on the right track, but you do bring up a lot of important issues. WLS can be very dangerous and it is a last resort option. However, I've not heard from one person that says they regretted making that choice.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:11 PM   #9  
For my HEALTH...

Default So glad Amy is doing well

Thanks Suzanne -- I am so glad that Amy is doing well after her WLS.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:11 PM   #10  

Hi Pookie,
I think you need to read as much as you can find. There are so many sites on the internet. It boggles the mind! I was so amazed at all the different types of WLS available. I had no idea. Of course, everyone has their favorite and there are lots of good reasons for each kind of surgery. Your research will help you know what questions to ask the doctor and if necessary, help you fight a good fight with the insurance company. Hopefully, I'm going to have Lap-band surgery in January, which is WLS, but a different type. So read, read, read and click, click, click. You will help yourself immensely.
Chickadee
Old 10-08-2003, 11:04 PM   #11  

Pookie, I am also looking at having WLS within the next 3 months. I have read, and read, and read. I know accepting the fact that the first weeks my be not so good, and plan on the improvement that comes with each week of healing. A few weeks of being miserable is worth the results of weight loss and much brighter extended years to follow.
MarG
Old 10-09-2003, 01:03 PM   #12  
For my HEALTH...

Smile Thanks for replies

Thanks for the replies -- I am learning so much on these boards.

There seems to be so many wonderful supportive people on these boards from so many interesting cities and towns. I am glad I found this site!

Thanks
Pookie in Queens NYC

P. S. Thanks to the 3 "chicks" who started this site too.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:24 AM   #13  

Unhappy SCARED

Is really waht I am feeling about having WLS. It is a last option but that is what it has come down to. I love reading everyones opions and support. Can anyone tell me how to start the process? Is there things I should be doing? I have research the procedures and really would like to have the Lapbelt. As anyone had this procedure, if so what are your thoughts. I am so excited to find such a wonderful site. Hope to here from you all soon.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:02 PM   #14  

Hey Turtle,

If you're talking about Lap Band surgery (which is what I'm hoping to get) here's a good site with lots of discussion going on -
LapBandtalk.com

There are lots of people there with lots to say. There are also quite a few Yahoo groups dedicated to the surgery.

I think to start the process, you need to talk to your Primary Care Physician and also check into what your insurance will and won't cover. Quite a few companies seem to cover bypass surgeries, but not Lapbanding, so you need to know what you're dealing with. I have found that a lot of doctors and other health care professionals have absolutely no idea what LapBand surgery is. I have educated more than a few! From my experience so far, you absolutely must have patience and perseverance and more patience.

Obesityhelp.com is a great resource to help figure out where you stand with insurance, but most people over there have had or are looking into RNY surgery (not that there's anything wrong with that - to quote from an old Seinfeld episode) so that's what they're reporting on.

I hope this was somewhat helpful. I'm in this process myself and have learned more than I ever thought possible.
Good Luck to you!
Chickadee
Old 10-10-2003, 03:09 PM   #15  

Default Thank you

I did mean Lap Band. I have talked with my PCP and my endocrinlogist and both have suggested surgery. I would move from doc to doc because all stated surgery and I wanted to try everything else first. So now that I have reached this point I started to do research. So I wanted to say thank you for your insight and keep me posted on your journey
Closed Thread