Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 08:54 PM   #1  

Default i'm another new one....

Hi everyone,
my name is anne-maree and i live in Melbourne Australia with a wonderfull husband and 4 sons aged 12, 9, 5, and 3.
i have been over weight all my life and hate it...i make excusses why i cant go out and things like that. i weigh (last time i was game enough to look) 107 killo i think thats about 235 pounds. my surgry is set for the 17th of october i'm having my stomach stapled....any advice you can give me would be wonderfull..anything you think i should take to hospital that they dont tell you..what to have in the cupboard for when i gdet home...just anything you can think of that will help me become a Loser...

take care
anne-maree
Old 09-23-2003, 11:11 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

oh my.. so few questions... so many answers!! but first.l it's nice to see you here. and everyone else will be by sooner or later.

you must be on the short side.. like grammy. you are relatively light for the surgery!!!!

but what does your doc tell you about the postop diet? most folks are on clear liquids and protein shakes right afterwards, and then gradually add things like cottage cheese, and then other foods. it's a progression.

but you have to be guided by your doc. and if he's not providing this support. hmmm. well. then i guess we'll all have to do!!!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 02:17 AM   #3  

Angry hi anne-maree!

Anne-maree, I'm also in Melbourne, and I'm just at the starting point of surgery. Who are you seeing? I don't know anything to help your question, but I'd love to hear your story so far.

Mish.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:47 AM   #4  

Hi anne-marie, The best advice I can tell you is to learn everything you can about what you need to eat after the surgery. When I went I made sure that my husband knew what I was allowed and what i wasn't. Some of the nurses mean well but the surgery is new to them and some of the things that they recomend is harmful. I was told I could have a coke after surgery. Had I not know that could have hurt me. Thank god that my husband new that too. Surgar free and fat free jello was a good choice. Sugar free popcycles right after surgery when you come home are also a good choice. Crystal light helps the water go down. I used a lot of chicken broth. I fortified it by adding more chicken to the broth and cooked it in the broth but did not eat it. They family had a lot of chicken salad in the begining.

Don't stock up to much for you won't know what you will be able to tolerate. I stocked up on Dry milk and evaporated skim milk and was not able to tolerate any of that for High Protien. I have not yet found a high protien shake that I like. But I am still trying. Good luck and keep posting. We are alll willing to help. Grammy
Old 09-24-2003, 09:34 AM   #5  

Hi Anne Maree, for me the best thing that I had brought to the hospital were my own pillows. I went out and bought new nightgowns that buttoned down the front and didn't wear them once. Slide on slippers were a god send because you can't bend over or pick your feet up to pull up the backs of the slippers. Bring some SF candies or popcycles they were great and helped kill the dry mouth and the urge to snack (not that you'll want anything to do with food!) LOL I hope your surgery goes smoothly and it'll be here before you know it. Best of luck!!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 11:35 AM   #6  
Slowly going crazy!

Anne-Maree! ! ! I've been waiting for you to show up ((HUGS))

Welcome to this little corner! ! !
Old 09-25-2003, 09:31 PM   #7  

Hey! Anne Maree!!! Welcome!!!!

people told me to bring chapstick...I did, I didn't need it....but I think some people get very dry lips.

I brought my sneakers and I was glad I did because I was up walking pretty quickly and my slippers are not to good to walk in. Also, I hate the hospital gowns and much to the dismay of the nursing staff, I wore my own clothes. I brought some extra t shirts and sweat pants.

good luck to you...post often so we can get to know you!

peach
Old 09-26-2003, 12:08 AM   #8  

Default hello

Hi peach, thanks for your reply.
i would love to post more but tomorow (sat) i'm heading of to queensland for 3 -4 weeks with my family. i will be flying back on the 16th of october and a friend is taking me to the hospital on friday the 17th for my operation. i forgot to mention i have a friend having the same operation..... on the same day... in the same hospital so thats pretty exciting for me
as we only live 3 houses apart ...we are going to be great suport for each other.I will check all messages and post for the last time before the op on the 16th.

take care
everyone.
Closed Thread