Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 12:24 PM   #1  

Default Having trouble with full liquids

Was wondering if anyone esle had trouble starting on full liquids. Started them on Friday with a high protien instant breakfast then had some pudding for mid morning snack and some blended soup with extra protien for lunch by now I have GAS and WATER diaharea that continues for 3 hours. Called the Dr office and they said to go back to clear liquids and start smaller the next day. For mid morning snack I thought that I would try some yougart just 2 teas. stomach still feels funny a little gassey but no explosions. Any thoughts? Love Marsha

1 week and 1 day post op lap runy surgery other than this I feel great
Old 09-06-2003, 09:38 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

marsha.. carnation instant breakfast is NOT a good choice, and i don't care what your doctor says about it!!! it's too full of carbs.

AND unless you take these things very very slowly, even with a spoon, we often get way too much gas in our tiny sensitive tummies, with uncomfortable results.

and, if you mix these drinks with a blender and then drink them, waayyyyy too much gas intake!!!! very very unpleasant., and if you blend ice in to make them thicker, it's even worse. my suggestion: blend them, then pour them over ice to make them really cold., and then eat them with a spoon..

it's also possible that you're reacting to milk. lots of people do. and many people who were lactose-tolerant before surgery become lactose INTOLERANT afterwards. these folks have switched to lact-aid milk with much better results.

you mentioned blended soup with extra protein. what did you use for the extra protein?

be careful with yogurt. some of it is very high carb. there are some that have less than 20 grams per container and they're generally ok. ya gotta read the labels.

try a soft boiled egg. there's also an egg beater based protein shake that would be better than the instant breakfast.

3/4 c [3 servings] of egg beater type liquid eggs
6 oz milk
4 packets sweetener
dab of vanilla or brandy or rum extract
dash of cinnamon and nutmeg

blend and pour over ice.

glad you're doing well... this is really temporary,. i promise.

oh. and you can also use baby food. i preferred cottage cheese.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:26 AM   #3  

Thanks Jiff for the response. This whole way of learning to eat is very hard. I am plugging away. Could be the milk. yesterday I had no problems. I am able to drink water without sipping tiny gulps with no problems. I am also under the impression that you need to heal inside before you put any food that is why the full liquid stage. I need to stay on that for 2 weeks so I need to know what foods that are full liquid that I can tolerate. Liquid egg substitue doesn't get it in my book nor does the designer protien. I have been boosting the protien intake with dry powdered milk and using skim milk to mix the pudding. this I seem to tolerate. Also I am a all or nothing type of person so maybe I did too much too soon. I am slowing down and this is much better. I am very happy that I did this and have no regrets. Just trying too learn the correct way for me. thanks Marsha
Old 09-07-2003, 06:03 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

that's what it's all about!!! Finding your own way. all the rest of us can do is offer suggestions. have you tried isopure? some folks like that. i found GNC pro performance whey worked ok too. and i love the nectar.

did you know you can mix things into the protein shakes to make them taste better? the pudding powder, extracts, unsweetened cocoa, SF cocoa mix, SF syrups, instant coffee. i know one woman who mixes vanilla powder into hot coffee.

ya just gotta experiment.

keep plugging!!! it'll get better..
Old 09-07-2003, 07:02 PM   #5  

I will keep on experimenting. and trying things. How long did it take you to get up to the 70-80grams of protien a day? Thanks for the post. Marsha
Old 09-07-2003, 09:10 PM   #6  

Hey Marsha!

Just want to say, Hang in there!!! The only milk I have had is when I have made the sf pudding. To drink a whole cup of it would kill me. I will say that adding a tablespoon of instant pudding mix to the protein drinks saved me. I couldn't stomach (like I have one?) them with out it.

Do what works for you. I feel that my doctor really was pushing me food wise more quickly than most.....and NO I haven't eaten salad yet.

again, hang in there...just wanted you to know that I am thinking of ya!

hugs,
peach
Old 09-08-2003, 08:46 AM   #7  

tHANKS for the imput. I had som cream of chicken soup for breakfast made with milk we will see if that bothers me. It didn't use too. will have to try another protien drink. I go to the Dr today will see what he has to say. He is also pushing the food. I think too soon. Marsha
Old 09-08-2003, 01:50 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

marsha... i had to consume 100 grams of protein a day. and i did it after the first week, after i was off clear liquids.

2-3 protein shakes a day, and i just tried one different thing every day, and stuck with what worked. if it worked one day and not the next, i just tried something else.

i had to have so much protein for two reasons: first, i weighed more than 400 pounds at surgery, and they've found that people with SOOOO much to lose do it better with higher protein intakes. AND i had a serious problem with edema in one of my legs, and the higher protein intake helps clear out the fluid.

and watch the cream soups... sometimes they're way too high in fat for some of us. but they do indeed taste yummy. have you tried melting some non-stringy cheese into it? NOT mozzarella or jack cheese... something very melty.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:48 AM   #9  

Thanks I will try some of that.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:38 AM   #10  
she who must be obeyed

Marsha, I just wanted to give you my support in this..........I'm useless when it comes to new post-op issues no protein served in ICU

Hang in there, listen to Jiff, she is a wealth of information. And you and peachie are so close in your recovery, you can compare notes.
Closed Thread