Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-03-2007, 09:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 385/238/145

Height: 5'11"

Default Overeating after band?

How do you know if you are eating enough or eating too much after the band? My doctor (and his nurses) kept saying "pay attention to your body" and "eat what is right for you." Well, obviously, I don't know what is right portion-ally for me. I've been concerned that I won't get enough water - but then I've also been hungry. But then I'm also afraid of throwing up. I will do anything, ANYTHING to stop from throwing up. I hate it! and now with the extra worry about the band slipping, I really don't want to.
This morning is the first time I've gone #2. And now I can't stop going. Have I done something wrong? Have others been hungry after the band? (it's a weird sensation - I feel kinda full - but then my stomach is growling - and I know that is because the bottom portion of my stomach is empty and everything else is sitting on the top) Have others had this feeling? How long til it all feels full and no growling stomach?
I know this is all jumbled - but I don't know which way is up. I stop eating when I feel gas-y - but that still leaves my stomach growl-ly and me short of temper (like I'm really hungry) and then with the bottom half of me doing it's own thing - I feel like a freak! pLEASE HELP!!
Thank you.
jaxnlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 262/218/145

Height: 5'4'

I'm now familiar about what you can eat with lapband, but have you tried eating the broths and jello? Just eat a little, real slow and wait for a few minutes and see what your stomach says. After I wait a few minutes, I realize I'm really full. I'm like you, I don't want to throw up. As for #2, I began that the first time I went to the bathroom in the hospital. Now I'm having trouble going. So I have the opposite problem and don't know what to take since I'm on all liquids, including pain medication.
It's not easy, but we can do it.

Blessings.
Lolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #3  

In the above not, I meant, I'm not familiar with what you can eat with lapband. Just thought I'd clear that up. LOL.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hey Jax.... first thing, your not a freak, all these feelings are quite normal.

Let me try to answer your questions. But remember the band does not work unless you have a few fills. I could eat an entire hero sandwich about 6 weeks after surgery.......until I had about 3 fills THEN it kicked in....so be very very patient okay. I know its hard but you must.

How do you know if you are eating enough - You eat when your hungry and you stop when your full, there's no set measurement. IMHO make sure your getting at LEAST 1000 calories at this point in your surgery. If your not getting that much add a protein shake or two in your diet.

or eating too much after the band? - You'll know if your eating to much, your tummy / pouch will feel tight/full.... but you need fills in order to feel full in the pouch.

My doctor (and his nurses) kept saying "pay attention to your body" and "eat what is right for you." Well, obviously, I don't know what is right portion-ally for me.- True, portion control is hard, thats why we had surgery....but you will learn what is right. You'll take one meal at a time and you need to really pay attention to how your stomach is feeling. Don't watch TV and eat... sit in the kitchen and concentrate. Your doc is right...you'll learn.

I've been concerned that I won't get enough water - Don't panic, water is .... believe it or not..the easiest thing to get down and you WILL get enuf. Just sip sip sip all day long...after a while you'll be glugging down like normal but at this stage of the game you are newly out, so GO GENTLE, don't irritate your innards....GENTLE is the key. How much water are you drinking per day at this point? be careful you don't dehydrate.

but then I've also been hungry. Me too, the minute I opened my eyes after surgery I wanted a cheese burger. Eat when your hungry...there's nothing else anyone can say. What are you allowed to eat at this stage? what did the doctors say? What your eating can make a big difference...protien last longer.

But then I'm also afraid of throwing up. I will do anything, ANYTHING to stop from throwing up. I hate it! and now with the extra worry about the band slipping, I really don't want to. Eat SLOW and take tiny bites, pay attention and you shouldn't throw up. Paying attention is so critical. Also if you put big bites into your mouth your more likely to forget and swallow...leading to a PB (productive burp aka throwing up). Your band is sewn to your belly...taking it easy these next few weeks (6) is critical...don't exercise or lift anything until your doctor says your in the clear...only he can tell you this.

This morning is the first time I've gone #2. And now I can't stop going. Have I done something wrong? Nope this is VERY normal, you've done nothing wrong...with the meds and your system going "HUH WHATS HAPPENING HERE" its gonna be out of sorts. Just remember if you have diarreah.... make sure you are getting ALOT of fluids so you don't dehyrdate.

Have others been hungry after the band? (it's a weird sensation - I feel kinda full - but then my stomach is growling - and I know that is because the bottom portion of my stomach is empty and everything else is sitting on the top) Have others had this feeling? How long til it all feels full and no growling stomach? I have to giggle because yes, it is a weird feeling...we have two belly's and they don't cooperate LOL. Just listen to the TOP part and you'll be fine. The way to help the growlies is to have some broth or something with substance so it runs down and calms the 2nd belly. I don't know how long it will last but I do know that once you start getting the fills thats when it starts to get easier / less confusing.

I know this is all jumbled - but I don't know which way is up. I stop eating when I feel gas-y - but that still leaves my stomach growl-ly and me short of temper (like I'm really hungry) and then with the bottom half of me doing it's own thing - I feel like a freak! pLEASE HELP!! Your not a freak...your just not used to it. ... you WILL get the hang of it....just be patient. Keeping a sense of humor thru it helps as well. Like I said have some protein shakes to calm the growling belly and the most important thing is pay attention to the pouch/band.

Hope this helps some.

Please tell me what your doctor told you to eat in the next few weeks.... what is your diet like and then maybe I can help you more. I ask because every doctor has different guidelines.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #5  

Thank you sooo much!!! <I'm all teary> everyone I talked to kept saying they were full: they never felt hungry. And I kinda felt full - but with my stomach loudly growling - and me wanting to scream at everyone - i knew I wasn't full-I was starving. I'm still on clear liquids. I went and purchased some isopure drink thingee. It's not too bad, but I can't drink that much. AND I'm still having terrible gas pain. The gas-x is not helping. the only thing that helps is walking. - So I guess, I shouldn't be sitting here, I should go walk.
The water: I was drinking at least a gallon and a half before the surgery. I can't even seem to get down more than 2 - 20 oz bottles in a day (yesterday was the first time that I got down 2 - before that it was only 1). I get really bad gas pains. I am attempting to sip. (Today I can say honestly that I am sipping.) The gas pains are with whatever I consume. Jello- popsicles- water- protein drink- broth. I guess the popsicles cause the least amount of pain - so I should stick to those, ya think? Maybe just suck on ice?
I don't think I'm getting 1000 calories. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm not. But today is another day. And I'm feeling more hopeful. You lovely ladies are a blessing to me.
I'm just afraid I've done something really stupid to my body. One of my friends (you know the type-doomsayer) told me that to have the surgery was an act of a desperate person, and our karma would get back at us for acting like that. I basically knew that I was desperate - and I would have to take any lumps that came. I'm afraid that she might have been right. But I only had surgery on Saturday - and I can't even have full liquids for another week.
Do you just sip all day? And never stop? Did you have crazy gas pain rumbling around in your body? Is it still the gas from the surgery? Thank you so much for all of your help and advice. I really look forward to coming here.
-jax
Old 07-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Okay you are on clear liquids, so I highly doubt that you'll get in 1000 calories. More than likely 500 at max... according to my doctor this is okay. I was 2 weeks on clear liquids and there was no way I got in 1000 calories during that time. My third week was thicker liquids, my 4th week was mushies and then my 5th week was regular food. I think in my 5th week I got up to 1000 calories and then 1200.

What ever your doctor says do... I know it sucks but its so critical. I remember wanting to chew the walls I was sooooooooooooooo hungry OMG. I often wondered about people who said they weren't hungry LOLOL. When you start to go to thicker liquids you'll start to feel some what human again.

For gas pains did you try a heating pad? I know that has helped some folks. For me, I walked and used gasx... plus I slept upright. Laying flat can make the pains worse. Yep walk walk walk. I know some people have gas for up to 2 weeks but it should get better each day. I had it for about 5 days.

For the first couple of weeks after surgery yes, I sipped, I was afraid of hurting myself. NOW!!! its a whole nuther story lol, I drink just like before I was banded.

Sounds like to me your doing wonderful !!!!! Oh and your friend... can you say NINCOWPOOP !!!!! People like to mock what they don't understand...so take it with a grain of salt.

Just take it one day at a time and you'll be fine..... RELAX !!!

Last edited by Leenie; 07-04-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:29 AM   #7  

Thanks soo much!! I had a much better day! The gas pain is subsiding. Still painful, but I walked quite a bit. Got to take in some fireworks and feel a little hopeful again. I feel better knowing that you were hungry too. Everyone I heard from kept saying they weren't - and I felt like asking if they were deaf, because you can hear my stomach! I was able to drink an entire Isopure protein drink and so I think it might've helped a bit with the hunger. Plus I had visitors come today, so it probably helped take my mind off of it - I've been alone a lot these past days.
Again: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Have a wonderful night!!
Old 07-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

leenie - it's been a long time since i've told you how WONDERFUL you are!!! so much information! i never guessed that lapbanders had the sensation of TWO stomachs! my goodness - how weird that must be!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Yeah...imagine me having TWO stomachs ROFLMFAO and they even talk to each other at times.

Jax, glad I could help

Jiffy I love you too darling
Old 07-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Jax how are you feeling dolly ??? is today any better?
Old 07-08-2007, 06:05 AM   #11  

Default Better

Yes, thank you. I am feeling much better.
I still have bad gas pains.. but they are soo much better than they were.
This evening I had my first taste of feeling sick. I ate 3 ounces of jello-and I must have eaten too fast or too much or both because I felt sick- like I might throw up. It felt like my gag reflex was kicking in. On jello. Jello. 3 ounces. I've really got to watch it. I didn't really think it was possible on Jello. Jello. 3 ounces of jello. I know it was 3 ounces because I bought 5 ounce cups and divide a regular box with 4 servings of 4 ounces by 5. And this cup wasn't as full as some of them.
I'm still a little worried about water and such - but my mother bought me a sno-cone maker!! So I crunch on the snow as much as possible. It's yummy.
3 more days until I can have full solids - milk and yogurt (with no bits).
My weight loss has been phenomenal to me - but I feel I'm paying dearly. I am still very hungry. Today, I tried a different protein drink and I didn't feel hungry the entire day, so that's definately an improvement.

I was wondering, do you know when we go have our adjustments - I understand that you have to start all over on the food phases (clear liquids, full liquids, mushies, etc) but do you have to do it exactly the same as after the surgery? Does it mean an entire month of not eating for each fill?

As always, you are an inspiration - and such a wonderful comfort to me.. THANK YOU!! Many hugs to you!!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:09 AM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Good Morning

Jax...are you taking vitamins? I think you should be or at least ready to get some vitamins in your system. If you don't have liquid vitamins (ick ick ick) get centrum chewables (any chewables) you can chew them to a powder like consistency and wash them down with sips of water. They should be very easy to take and its very important to get them in as soon as possible since you are not eating right. What does your doc say about vitamins???? I waited 2 weeks and then took them regardless, I just felt like my body needed something b/c I was feeling weak and out of sorts...you know the feeling.

You go for your adjustments prob 6 - 8 weeks after surgery. The doctors want everything inside to heal so you should not get adjustments OR exercise before that time. Last thing you want to do is rip anything inside. A few weeks of babying yourself is a small price to pay for troubles later on so take it easy. After each of my adjustments my doc tells me to stay on liquids (which includes protein drinks) for two days and then I can eat what I want but I personally go slow my first day of eating food after a fill. Some doctors will tell you to wait one day and then you can eat solids. Its really up to the doc.

Jello (ICK) LLOLOL I ate it once.... only because I hate hello LOL. Eat one oz every few hours if it goes down easier. You don't need to have the full 3 oz at once and yes... GO SLOW!!! One little bite every few minutes. Its like learning how to eat all over again. Just remember your swollen inside. In a few weeks 3 oz of jello will be very easy to eat.

Your prob allowed to drink broth so get some soup (any brand you like, Campbell's, progresso, etc) and strain it so there are no pieces in it....or some bouillon and drink that warm, it will sooth your tummy....drink some warm tea with skim milk or coffee with skim milk. I was on clear liquids for two weeks and tea, coffee with skim milk was allowed. Boy the coffee helped coat and sooth the hungries in the AM.

For the Gas....keep walking and try not to lay flat.

Your weight loss is GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ohhh just wait until you go shopping for new clothes...it'll all be so worth it. Your gonna feel SOOOO GOOD !!!!!!

Hang in there

Old 07-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #13  

Way to go, Jax. I also am having trouble eating very slowly........
That word is even hard for me to type. LOL. My doctor said a bite every 3 minutes and have you ever waited 3 minutes on something? That's a long, long time. I have begun eating just 1/2 of my 3 oz cups and that seems to be enough jello for me. Soup, strained, is the easiest thing for me to get down and feel as if I've sort of had a meal.

Blessings.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #14  

Thanks. I'm getting at least 1 serving of liquid vitamins a day. I know what you mean by "ick." When I went to the store, I was looking for LV that didn't have sugar or sugar substitute, etc. I found one that had good vitamin content and had juice in it.. and then didn't notice that it was "all natural mango flavor." Smells awful. Getting used to the taste, but it's taking some doing. Kinda funny since I don't think mango was on the ingredients list. HA!
I've been mixing it with apple juice and freezing it for popsicles.

You've put my mind at ease about the adjustments. I was afraid that I would have to basically fast again for ever.
Have you found that your metabolism has really slowed down? I'm worried that mine is just going to go to shut down. I want it to speed up not slow down.

I found that the broth my mother made me, made me kinda ill. I don't know but I think it might be because of the "liver shrinking" diet, in which all I ate was meat. Gross. I think I will try the tea, tho'. I had forgotten I could have it. All good suggestions!

Eating slow. What is that? haha. I will really have to pay attention. I've been eating such small quantities that I kinda figured it wasn't a big deal (just like I've decided I can have some sugar-it won't kill me. ah haahahaha <evil laugh>)

The gas is getting better every day. But again - I guess if I eat too quickly, it's no one's fault but mine if I get extra. Except: even tee-tiny sips of water (or anything) can give me gas (pains). I was thinking it might be because I am swallowing air with every small sip. Is there a way not to do this, like drink from a straw? Has anyone had this sensation as well?

Last edited by jaxnlula; 07-08-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #15  

One more thing - EXERCISE??

Really ?? Six to Eight WEEKs?

I have pilates and dance class.... And I've put off the pilates, because he said no "bending at the waist" (and that one actually can hurt) but the dance class, too?

I'm going crazy and I'm soo bored!!! Just ask Lolow - I confessed to her that I was doing housework!