Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Default Odd worry

My surgery is on Tuesday (1/6). I'm not nervous about the surgery but I am nervous about the healing. Due to severe neck pain, I have been sleeping in a recliner for the past 7 months. To get out of the chair, I have to bend my abdomen. I'm worried about popping a staple. I'm sure they are good and sturdy, but for some reason this is my fear.
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #2  
In It to Win It!

S/C/G: 263/ticker/160

Height: 5'4

I haven't had WLS (yet, still going through the prelims) and it depends on if they do it lapriscopscly. I think most doctors do it that way. It's a legitimate concern, absolutely. I for one had surgery on my abdomen, on my right side going from my hip to my bikini area, and it was like a 5 inch incision. And I was out for 6 weeks. I had to get help getting out of bed.

If you have a recliner, sounds like you have it better than I did. I don't think you'll pop a staple, I am not sure if they even do staples any more.

Definitely address this with your surgeon!
banditbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

KAYLEY!!!!! you'll be fine. i PROMISE. you can even bend over and tie your shoes. your surgeon will put those staples in to STAY. But go ahead and ask him just before he puts you under. honest! it's ok.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #4  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Kayley -

After my RNY surgery, I had to bend over to pet my dog and put on his leash, and to tie shoes, put on socks. As Jiffy said, those staples are in there well. That being said, it may not be comfortable to bend at the abdomen so you don't want to do it over and over or stay in a bent over position for an extended time, but I'm 99% sure you won't stress the staples.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 309/194/145

Kayley how are you feeling post op? I hope your surgery went well.
SnowAngel72 is offline   Reply With Quote