Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-17-2014, 11:18 PM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default My annual warning!

And i apologize for the fact that it's LATE this year!!!!

For you new folks, especially. Your surgeon may have told you to peel your fruits and veggies. You may or may not be doing this. BUT, from personal experience, it's a good idea - especially with some items.

The summer after my surgery [about 6 months postop] i was so proud of myself for doing so well that i decided I didn't have to do this. Peaches and nectarines were in season - my FAVORITES.

I ate a peach. YUMMMMMM. didn't peel it. And for the next 36 hours, i threw up. coudln't even keep water down. couldn't sleep, not even sitting up. no protein shakes. Called the surgeon the next day, who told me to go to the ER, where i was found to be VERY dehydrated [duh!].

And he scheduled me for an endoscopy the next morning. I woke up in time to hear the gastro guy proudly say 'a vegetable matter bezoar!!! i've never seen one before!!! i gotta go tell everyone!' and out he went.

Bottom line - take a look at the peach/nectarine skin. see how it folds over on itself and sort of sticks together? yeah. it formed a perfect little ball that stuffed itself into the outlet from my tiny tummy [gastric bypass], and wouldn't let ANYTHING pass.

Gastro guy popped it out. no probs ever since. BUT PEEL YOUR FRUIT!!!!!!

And i'm going to add another warning, especially for those of us who've had the gastric bypass. We can no longer eat clams, mussels, oysters, because we can't chew them finely enough to swallow them safely. I have to admit that i miss these items, but i can force my self to 'suffer' with crab and lobster.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Yikes! Thanks for the warning. We have a huge number of peaches at home and it wouldn't have occured to me to peel one. Funny my surgeon didn't mean it.

So glad to hear you're ok and doing better
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

I love peaches and was actually looking for them yesterday but decided I would wait until Friday to get some. Whew......

I actually have problems with shrimp......I guess I don't chew those fine enough either. I do struggle with chicken as well, I guess because I eat the breast meat which has a tendency to be stringy.
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #4  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Does all fruit need to be peeled? Even apples?

Thanks for the warning, Jiffy!
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

check with your surgeon. mine told me to peel everything, and to take seeds out, as well, especially in the first 6-8 months.

I promise you - it DOES get easier, but i STILL peel peaches [but not nectarines]. I no longer de-seed cucumbers, though.

but the most important thing is to go by what's working or not working for you: if you're not peeling, and things are getting stuck, then try peeling the stuff, at least for awhile. or peel some/not others just to reduce the amount you're trying to eat

eating fruit like apples is much easier if it's cut and cored. My instinct is to just grab and bite. But, the bites are generally larger than i can deal with, and it can get pretty darned uncomfortable. So, coring and cutting it is. I don't usually peel, though. BTW, dipping in a little peanut butter gives an added protein boost! LOL! and we ALL need a little protein boost, right?

Last edited by jiffypop; 08-18-2014 at 02:44 PM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #6  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Thanks, Jiffy! I always cut and core my apples (and actually do the same with peaches too). It just makes them easier to eat. I've heard dipping in peanut butter is good...one of these days I'll have to try it.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote