Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 313/215/175

Height: 5'7"

I had the sleeve on 5/27/13 and was 313 pounds. By January 2014 I was 189. Since January I have been through a divorce and custody issues and now weigh 215. This is my 2nd day of being back on track....no cola, no sugar, no carbs except what comes in the meal replacement shakes. I'm also doing the Piyo program by Beachbody. My goal weight is 175.
GinnyCarinhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #17  
Old Cackler

good job for catching it early! and good grief you've been through a lot - those little ones in your avatar are beyond cute!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #18  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Hello everyone,

Well, I am on liquids now..Decided to go onto liquids for 40 days because I desperately need to clean out my body of all the crap I have put into it this past year. So far so good..onto Day 5. For the past 5 days ,I have been drinking hot water with lemon and honey as well as unsweetened almond milk. Now that I have gotten over the hunger factor and have adjusted to drinking just liquids, I have decided to switch over to just drinking protein shakes for the next 35 days.

I will be drinking the RTD premier protein shakes-30g protein -2 Carbs-160 cals

After that, I will transition onto eating more solid food. But I think its back to basics for awhile. I am hoping through drinking liquids for awhile, my stomach will shrink back a bit and I will feel more restriction when I do add in foods again.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 302/268/200

Height: 5'7"

coming up on my 2 year anniversary of my sleeve surgery. I have gained 15-20 pounds back. Never did get below 200. Knees have really been acting up so haven't been exercising. I know it is no excuse but after 8hours working on cement floors I just want to go sit and read. Also sugar craving is rearing its ugly head. When I jumped on the scales this morning I could have cried. Then I got mad and asked why I am giving food such power over my life? I won't give people that power, why food. Anyway, I talk to myself alot at work. Like others have said..back to the basics..protein first..then non-starch veggies. Jen, I understand about starting to hate cooking. Maybe I will try a spell of protein shakes. Still have some Unjury from my pre/post surgery days.
sueBhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:38 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 418/369/220

Height: 5ft 3in

Default I feel like i wrote this

I too had gastric bypass in 2005 and have gained almost all of the weight back. And my big problem is soda. I have really bad arthritis in my knees and need replacement surgery but the doctor won't do it until I lose 140 pounds. So I'm really mad at myself for regaining. But I have spent this last year working on the mental and emotional parts of it and I do feel a lot better about my chances to lose the weight. One of the big things I've learned is to be kind to yourself and not beat yourself up. I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who didn't get skinny with the surgery, but I think we are all just hiding in shame while the successful people are ready to shout it from the roof tops. So maybe it is something we should talk about more so we all don't feel so alone.
mustymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #21  
Old Cackler

I think we are all just hiding in shame while the successful people are ready to shout it from the roof tops. So maybe it is something we should talk about more so we all don't feel so alone.

Amen sister! most people have had some weight gain - but the real key is to catch it before it gets too out of hand. and based on your stats, you did that! you're still 50 pounds under your highest weight, and you're regaining control.

And you've actually hit on a really important point - most 'success' with WLS is defined as losing HALF of your EXCESS weight, and to keep it off for a year. So, if you're 100 pounds overweight, and you lose 50, TAA DAAAAAA!!!! you're a success. And frankly, I've met very very few people who've lost every single pound and kept it off. These folks tend to be the ones who had 'only' 100 pounds to lose - the relative lightweights.

so stop beating yourself up - and get on with what you need to be doing. we're all struggling in one way or another.

so how's the soda going? you're not drinking soda with sugar, are you?
Old 11-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 418/369/220

Height: 5ft 3in

Jiffypop, unfortunately it is soda with sugar. I've always had a big sugar problem, so naturally I really didn't get much dumping....which I thought would save me. But oddly enough as I have reduced my sugar intake over the last year I've found that when I eat too much I get a stomach ache a couple hours later. I would prefer to get deathly Ill at the first bite, but hey I'll take what I can get.
mustymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #23  
In It to Win It!

S/C/G: 263/ticker/160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
[I]And frankly, I've met very very few people who've lost every single pound and kept it off. These folks tend to be the ones who had 'only' 100 pounds to lose - the relative lightweights.
I have to chime in a little, and I have to say that this is very reassuring to me. I have 100-120 lbs to lose (really, I'd like to lose 125 lbs and weigh 135, but my goal is to lose all of the weight I gained in college and afterwards, which is almost exactly 100 lbs). It makes me feel a lot more confident about choosing this.

So, thanks for that
banditbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #24  
Old Cackler

just remember, bandit. it's up to you! it's more of a head game than anything else. you MUST MUST MUST MUST re-learn everything. right down to learning what hunger actually feels like
Old 01-04-2015, 10:20 PM   #25  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

No joke, Jiffy! I was sleeved in December and the head part is even harder than I thought. And that's AFTER copious amounts of therapy to deal with all the head stuff!! I'm re-learning everything I ever thought I knew about food and the way my body operates.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #26  
carvinmom

S/C/G: 359/254/150

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
Hi Deb! I lost about 285 pounds, then regained about 90 because i caved into unbelievable unrelenting stress, and have been working on getting it off. i have about 15 pounds to go... thank goodness.

yes - it's about back to basics, for me. but the kicker is that I'm now used to eating FOOD - and protein shakes don't always cut it. we'll figure it out.... i promise.

and while it IS hard to go back to square one, we were there before - we can do it again.
thank you jiffy for reminding me of this, that is possible to start over again.
carvinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:24 PM   #27  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Grasshopper View Post
Well, I'm going to go back to basics. Had a REALITY check this week in a major way. My endo doc wants me to try diabetic medication to lose weight and today I found out that I've got a partial ligament tear in my foot. If the boot I'm wearing doesn't help I'm looking at a cast and walker or possible surg. This is on top of a ligament tear in my shoulder and one of my knees.
Frankly, I'm scared to death I'm going to end up in a wheel chair and I'm so damned angry at myself right now.

I'm going to get back to the basics that I started after the GBS. 90 grms in protein shakes a day and less than 20 grams of carbs (have to look up the exact amount there). No soda. No drinking a half hour before, during, or an hour after eating.

The doctors keep urging me to go back to my GBS but I'm ashamed. Plus, what can he do? I'd eat/drink through a band and I'm too afraid to let them do another surg. on me.

Not that I'd wish this on anyone but I'd like to chat with others in the same boat. I'll try and post how I am just to try and keep on track.
Just wondering, how does one end up with that many injuries! I grew up in an ag environment, cows, sheep, pigs, horses, chickens, tractors, etc. I had kids, natural, I've been bucked off, run over, bit, and so on. I'm 55, I've worked for a veterinarian for the last 10 years, and live and work a farm to this day. And I don't have that many injuries/ailments.

Could you explain why you have all of these issues?

I'm not trying to be disrespectful of you and your issues, I'm asking, because it may help me, help someone else in the future!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #28  

Hello..I am returning after long abscense. I had gbs in 2006 and got down to 229 ponds from 368 I have been slowly creeping back up over past couple years. But Fri morning I was 300.7 pounds and that got me motivated and reconnected. I am healthy for most part. I am very happily married. But want to get the scale going . Right dirrection . looking for some people to motivate me and to stay accountable. Have an awesome day!
doitforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #29  
GmaTo8

Doitfirme, good for you, committing to lose what you have regained. Please jump in the "Touching Base" thread here, for ongoing encouragement. See you there!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #30  

Default Thanks !

I will do that !
doitforme is offline   Reply With Quote