Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-18-2014, 02:35 AM   #1  

Default Ontario chick - thinking about lapband

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I think I have a reason why. I'm a fat chick with around 242 lb weight on me. I'm fed up doing so many exercises and tried all sort of dieting; Dieting is the worst. I'm now thinking of WLS as a last resort and I'm thinking lap-band. There is a reputed WLS clinic in our area (Mississauga), Credit Valley Clinic, where I'm thinking of going for a session regarding it. But before I need to know the personal experiences and forums such as this is the only way I think I'll be able to get a trusted view.
LindaSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

Good morning, Linda!

As you see, I made your post its own thread - it should get more comments this way. WHAT were you doing up at 2 AM???????

and you're right - surgery IS the last resort... why did you choose the lapband? ya gotta choose the right one FOR YOU, and be sure to discuss all the options with your surgeon...

which brings me to another point. go to the session. the doc will review all the options, and discuss why the choice isn't a one size fits all. You'll probably also get the chance to talk to post-ops and ask them Qs about their life afterwards. And, of course, we're happy to give you our experience as well.

welcome aboard!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #3  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

I would say ditto to jiffypop's post. The lap band was not an option for me as I am allergic to the materials the band is made from. I ended up having a surgery which was not one I was originally considering. It is definitely a good idea to discuss all the options with your surgeon. My advice, keep looking if you do not feel comfortable with the surgeon or their practice.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 311/270/170

Height: 5'9"

I went in to my appt thinking lapband, and came out with a plan for Gastric Bypass. I travel for work, and my doctor was concerned that if the band was uncomfortable or if I was having issues, I'd be out of state and unable to come in and get it fixed.

One of the struggles I've had personally with the idea of the band was that it is reversible. THAT is why I chose it. I was still i love with the idea that I could eat like this, if I wanted to, again in the future. It took me a while to realize that I don't want it to be reversible. Me and food are in an abusive relationship, and even though sometimes it makes me feel SO GOOD, I don't want to ever be able to go back to it. (And I know people can stretch out their pouch on bypass too and return to their previous way of eating. I'm going to try my hardest to not let that happen to me!)

Several friends and family members, when they heard about me and my WLS, tried to talk me out of bypass and into band. I know it's less invasive and there are less side effects, but I feel very confident in my doctor and my procedure. Make sure you do your research, and you will make the best decision for you!
gnoff886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I echo the sentiments of everyone else. Go in with an open mind and really look at the choices your particular surgeon offers. Mine, for example, doesn't do lap-bands at all, but he was able to guide me to make a choice between bypass and gastric sleeve. Do a lot of research, go to the information session and make the best choice possible for you, long-term.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote