Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 07:14 PM   #16  
Old Cackler

derby... great to see you again!!! and wonderful advice!!! The dietician at the center i go to is urging all of us more than a year postop to eat more carbs. high quality grains, that is. we're skeptical.

she wants us to eat 4 servings a day. i'm shooting for 2 [that seems to be about my limit]. and lo and behold!!! I LOST 5 POUNDS LAST WEEK!!!

but i'm still not convinced she's right. and i refuse to go up to 4 servings!!! What do you think? you're our resident expert here...
Old 05-26-2003, 08:08 PM   #17  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

JIFFY

I'm around..mostly on the SUGAR BUSTERS end of the board.
I always check here. Don't like to see disapointed people..I know how it feels!
BOB
Old 05-26-2003, 09:01 PM   #18  
New Mommy!!

Jiffy,
I can understand why they want you to eat more carbs. They want you to have a normal life style without feeling deprived. Be "Choosie" with your carb selections. Whole grain breads/crackers, whole grain rice.....rice gives me trouble, fruits and veggies. I would stay away from lots of pasta or empty carbs. Maybe look at the Protein Bars that have some Carbs in them. I eat cereal sometimes at breakfast. I watch the amt I eat and how often I eat cereal, but it makes a good change.

If you are doing an excercise program the Carbs won't effect you. But I would keep a Food Diary, then if you notice a weight gain or any other problem you will be able to pin point it easier. I would also only add one new thing at a time. Kinda like a Baby, to see how it effects you. Rice is hit or miss with me, but most people have no problems with it. Different food works differently from person to person. Also once you try different things you will now what works well for you, then you can mix your selections up for a good variety.

Variety is important to give you lasting results. Be careful but enjoy. Watch the serving size and the number you eat per day.

And I will get on my soap box
STAY AWAY from Carbonated Beverages! This is my number 1 rule. They will mess you up..... Did you know that they are finding Carbonated Beverages are one of the leading causes of Childhood Obesity. They will stretch your stomach and allow you to eat more food. This can be a temporary stretch or a permanent enlargement of your stomach. If it is a temorary stretch your Doctor will not see it if they do a scope to check the size of your stomach. They also can give you ulcers and damage the incision in your stomach..... Ok enough said.

Let me know if you have any other questions and keep me updated.

Derby

Old 05-27-2003, 07:29 PM   #19  

Bob and Derby,

Thanks a lot for your support. I won't answer all the questions in order to protect the guilty.

While I will state that the habits need to be in place I thought I wouldn't have to be as drastic with the food/drink situation because of going through the surgery. Why did we even go through the surgery if we end up having to do the "dieting" anyway? Couldn't we have lost it by counting carbs, avoiding sugar, banning sodas, etc... without the surgery. I know that surgery is to help control the amount and initially, decrease absorption. But I'm very scared that my body has finally realized it's in a slight starvation mode and won't let me lose anymore weight. That is VERY frightening. I'm getting to the point to looking up "fat acceptance" websites again.

Am I the only one that thinks this. I had the surgery to lose weight. I still don't feel I was as prepared for this situation as I could have been..and I even researched it on the Internet and bought books!!

And the mext million dollar question is why can't I "stick" to a diet/weight loss/new eating habit program but I can get a college degree, pay my bills, etc... AAUUUGGHHH!

Traci
Old 05-27-2003, 08:54 PM   #20  
Old Cackler

derby... thanks so much for the info.. from what you've said, and the dietician, and the scale, i'm doing the right thing. so far, at least. and i haven't touched a soda since the surgery!!! and i've turned into a gym rat. it almost feels good to exercise [please notice, i said ALMOST!!!!]

and traci... i'm not quite sure what to say. they told me before the surgery that if i followed 'the rules' i'd lose as much weight as i could and i'd keep it off. i guess i figured that i'd have to pick a way of eating no matter what i did, and if this set of rules worked, then i'd do it. after all, how often had i stuck to things that didn['t work?

but i've also met people who were angry with the restrictions, and felt so deprived. i just don[t know what the answer is!!! we're all so different with different reactions to food and with different ways of coping....
Old 05-27-2003, 09:23 PM   #21  
New Mommy!!

Jiffy,
I think you and I should start an antisoda campaign. But I am afraid Pepsi & Coke might put a "Hit" on us....lol
I am proud of you for staying away from Soft Drinks!!

I haven't had one since surgery either. I felt tempted last month when I saw an old A&W that served the Frosty Glass Mugs of Root Beer...... It was hard.

Derby
Old 05-29-2003, 06:22 PM   #22  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

TRACI,

I can totally feel for you.. I'm the same way..I couldn't lose before the surgery, lost with the surgery, gained it back and still can't seem to get below 245lbs! I stay frustrated...it doesn't matter what I eat or don't eat....I CAN'T LOSE!

I look at these people who do so amazingly well and never gain anything back...I want to cry!

Why don't you talk to you Dr about maybe doing some protein drinks that you mix youself...not those ina can..it might help you detox some and get back on track.

Just know that we're all here for you not matter!

BOB
Old 05-29-2003, 08:52 PM   #23  

Thank you Bob very, very much. It can be depressing sometimes.

I just thank all of you for your support. I get more here than I do everywhere else!

Traci
Closed Thread