Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

The chest pains are probably from not taking your meds for your diabetes, it effects the heart. Check to see if there is a clinic within a reasonable distance as they do a sliding scale according to your income for treatment and drugs. Plus check all the other things people have suggested. Good Luck
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #17  
Old Cackler

wow - quite a story!!! and kaplods has lots of good information for you. about food ideas for a budget - did you know that we have a forum for budget friendly meals and tips? neither did i. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/shoestring-meals-235/ !! there were some good ideas in there. for me - and i live alone, so my experience is probably a bit weird - i realized that if i shopped every week, i spent 100. if i shopped every other week, i spent 100 - and didn't need to come back to the store if i stuck to my list. So, as long as i buy 2 weeks worth of cat food, i only go to the store every other week. BIG savings! [and BTW, that 100 per week is the total grocery bill and includes cat food, toiletries, paper goods, cleaners, and so on]

about your son's medical bills [oh my!]. in NJ, we have the Children's catastrophic illness fund - for just such issues. now, i KNOW you're not in NJ because there's no way you would have to drive 4 hours in the state to get to medical care - we're just not that big a state! but maybe there's something else in your state. there MIGHT be an insurance program that covers only children in families without much money, but a lot of those programs are being/have been cut.

now - about the surgery. most of the people on this forum have had one form of surgery or another. Kaplods considered it, and decided against it [a perfectly reasonable choice]. your best bet would be to explore the pages of threads and see what the issues are that we've faced and that we're actively dealing with.

and i also gotta be honest with you - as gently as i can, so please don't be annoyed with me. you have A LOT on your plate - I'm not sure it's a good idea to add such a major life change as weight loss surgery into the mix. if you decide to have the surgery, you will HAVE TO FOCUS ON YOURSELF, and darlin, with what you have going on in your life, i'm not sure you need to add another big pile of stress to cope with.

now, that doesn't mean you should just walk away from the idea, of course. this is a good time to gather information, work on getting an income [etsy is a great idea], take care of your little boy, get the budget under control, clean up your eating habits [see the list? it's a LONG one - and i'm only putting in the ones you mentioned in your posts!!!].

also, can you freelance? i think there's freelancers union, and other resources out there. but many graphic designers [and writers for that matter!] work with clients all over the country. voice of experience here!

you're doing SO much better than you think you are. i promise you - i can see it.

Last edited by jiffypop; 07-06-2011 at 09:33 PM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfAKing View Post
oh wow i am the same way. it takes for ever to lose it. im starting to feel pumped with energy from you girls. all the great feedback's etc is helpful. i want to do the lap band or gastric if there is a way to pay monthly but i was wondering if there were any girls out here who has experienced these two and if they have before and after pics or how faST did they lose it. or how much monthly it would be to see if i can even pay it. i know if i lose the weight my diabetes etc will be gone. when i had medi and found out i had all these problems my doc said if i lost the weight it would all go away. i just dont want to keep this fat and have these things get worst.
I am not trying to discourage you. I think you should explore your options. Read some of the wls books (I searched for amazon.com and I ended up ordering a few books from my library's interlibrary loan service. I deliberately chose one book because many of the amazon reviewers saw the book as "too scary" because it went into (the reviewers thought) too much detail about the risks.

I didn't want only books that essentially said "wls is awesome, do it no matter what and don't even ask about the risks, because being dead is better than being fat." I also wanted to hear the risks, side effects, and possible bad outcomes, because I didn't believe that beind dead was better than being fat. I also learned that some of the possible risks made being fat AND being dead seem like a picnic (that's why you, or at least I need to know not only the risks, but what the odds are of each. The death rate didn't scare me as much as some of the vitamin absorption problems and those associated with my particular health problems).

I initially decided against wls because of the general risks, and my risk factors specifically. My main concern initially was my autoimmune/inflammatory disease risks, and the risk of vitamin and electrolyte issues after surgery. Even though I eat a very healthy diet, with lots of fruits and vegetables, I've had issues with vitamin, mineral, and electrolyte imbalances. Gastric bypass would make me even more prone to these issues. And because of my autoimmune and inflammatory issues, the lap band would also be a problem.

I did have a rheumatologist tell me I could find a doctor willing to perform the surgery anyway, but my gp and I decided the risks weren't worth it, and I was ok with that, until recently when I began rethinking wls and other possible options, because I've been having a lot of trouble getting past my current weight. So, at my last doctor's appointment, I did bring up weight loss surgery again (and plans like Medifast and Ideal Protein), and unfortunately what I found out about wls was even more depressing. Even if I'm willing to take the added risks, there's no way we could afford the surgery. Medicare DOES cover weight loss surgery, but it does NOT cover any of the requirements and tests that are required before surgery will be approved (and my doctor said the approximate time it takes to complete the requirements, is a year to 18-months).

For medicare to cover the surgery, my doctor said I would need to have a psych evaluation (not covered). Have to prove that I tried a medically supervised diet plan and had poor results (If I have no success they can disqualify me because it would indicate lack of compliance, but if I have too much success they can disqualify me on the grounds that my success in the program is proof I can lose withough surgery). Local qualifying programs started at about $3,000 and up (again, not covered). I'd also need a battery of tests (also none of which are covered) to rule out conditions such as a stress test for heart disease. I already know that the heart stress test costs several thousand dollars, because I had to have one about nine or ten years ago when I was still working and had great insurance (I don't remember what it cost, but I remember being absolutely shocked at our deductable abount. So if I was shocked at the 10% that we had to pay, it had to have been a very expensive test).

If you have private insurance, many have similar requirements, which may or may not be covered. Ten years ago, when I was on my hubby's insurance (an awesome plan that covered 90% of medical expenses and medication costs. If I were going to have wls, that would definitely have been the time to do it). I was looking into gastric bypass then (before I was aware of my health problems), and it also required similar tests and requirements (some were covered, some weren't. One that wasn't covered having tried and failed at a medically supervised weight loss program of at least 6 months).

Again, I'm not saying any of this to discourage you, but you'll have to do your research, not only on the costs and requirements, but to answer questions specific to your situation. For example, you'll have to ask about how long you'll need to recover, and what you can and can't do during that time.

This would be important for anyone, but especially for you with your son's special needs. Can you take the time off? Who will care for you during your recovery, and who will care for your son?

By no means do I think your situation (with or without wls) is hopeless. Seven years ago (and several years prior), I had given up entirely on weight loss. In my experience, dieting only resulted in weight gain (eventually). I'd sworn off dieting, altogether and only stepped on a scale at the doctor's office (and was even tempted to tell the nurse/doctor they could weigh me, but I didn't want to know).

I had to learn a new way to get the weight off, and for me the learning curve has been a tremendous challenge. I'm not stupid, but four decades of habits are very hard to break. I had to do as much unlearning as learning.

In addition to 3FC , TOPS really is my best suggestion though, because the support is like the support here (and the more support you can get, the better). Being surrounded online and in real life with people who know what it's like, and who are cheering you on, every step of the way is so amazing. In your situation, I believe the added benefits of an in-person group like TOPS may be especially helpful, because of the real-life support and resources that are possible. The ladies (and men) in your nearest TOPS groups may be especially helpful in finding resources in your area, that you may not have thought of.

I've been in at least a dozen different TOPS groups in the last 25 years, and have seen how generous members are with their time and resources to help out other members. Members have chipped in to pay another member's joining fee (the national dues) and monthly dues. Members have taken turns taking a member with cancer to her chemotherapy. Members have sent cards and have traveled across the state to visit a member in the hospital. And small acts of generosity too - members calling members or sending cards to cheer someone up, help motivate someone, and just for the fun of doing so. Members bringing in their old Weight Watcher's materials, weight loss and diet magazines and cookbooks to give to anyone who might want them or someone who mentioned an interest in the program. A members giving another member a case of protein shakes, because she mentioned being interested in them. Members offering to provide transportation to and from meetings (sometimes even going way out of their way to do it).

A plus and to some a minus, TOPS groups tend to be much closer knit than Weight Watcher's meetings (some people may prefer the anonymity of WW).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #19  
Old Cackler

kaplods - what do you think about the vertical gastrectomy? there've been some great results with it, and there's no malabsorption. and no fills/rings involved. surgical restriction. i know medicare covers gastric bypass [with assorted hoops, as you've noted], but i don't know about the vertical gastrectomy

Last edited by jiffypop; 07-07-2011 at 08:32 AM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #20  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Though my info is a few years old, Medicare covered GBP and DS...maybe lapband....the sleeve is a newer proceedure, so I am not 100% it's covered.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote