Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-23-2011, 11:15 PM   #1  
The Story Re-Written

S/C/G: 384/227/180-235

Height: 6ft 4in

Default What Is Wrong With Me?

I have a question for you folks. I am ten months out from a revision and I have been experiencing lightheadedness and more recently white spots in my vision when I get up or am moving around a lot (for example cooking dinner). I have seen my surgeon about it and he said it was dehydration. Increased water intake, but didn't feel much better. Saw my primary doctor and after blood work, turned out my potassium level was low. On a potassium supplement, problem solved for a bit. Went back in December and was complaining about it still and she thinks it's my sinuses. I wonder if that could be the issue.

The problem is, I am still having the same problem and as the weeks go by, it seems to be getting so much more worse. I thought it could be my heart as I have MVP. Brought that up to my cardiologist and he brushed it off as a cause, but has scheduled tests for later this week.

My question is, have any of you experienced something like this? I never had the problems I am having now when I had the lap-band, so it's leading me to think that, besides the obvious, there might be something else going on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
TheStorySoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

are those white spots 'floating' around your eyes? and do they sort of disappear after a few minutes? my suggestion: go see an ophthalmologist. many people get floaters, and they often mean NOTHING. but only an eye doc can tell for certain. and now that you've added a malabsorption component with your revision, it's REALLY important that you get enough vitamins.

and even though I'm sure you're following your doc's instructions [right?] some of us need MORE than that.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #3  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Sounds like the potassium crisises I have. Are you getting enough sodium? I have that problem, too. If I don't get enough salt in my diet, I can't retain any of the potassium I take...doesn't matter how many pills I take, it goes right through me without enough sodium to retain it.

Could be something else, like Jiff said, but if your potassium has already shown up low, that might still be the problem. Try drinking a boullion cube a day along with your potassium suppliments and then have your dr. check your potassium levels again.

This is only my opinion of course, the potassium thing has been my only complication after GBP.

Hope you feel better soon!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 01-24-2011 at 01:16 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #4  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Oh and adding diluted Gateraid helped me, too!
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #5  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Potassium probs caused me the same issues.

My XH had that issue, no surgery, and the doc told him it was a migraine headache without the headache.

Then again it could be the dehydration problem too!!
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #6  
The Story Re-Written

S/C/G: 384/227/180-235

Height: 6ft 4in

jiffypop ~ No, they are not floaters. I have had that issue and have had my eyes checked, so I know it's not that. The best way to describe the white spots is like camouflage. It literally blocks out pieces in my field of vision. I'm following everything both my surgeon and primary doctor have told me to do, but the issue doesn't seem to be getting much better.

missangelsks ~ All my blood tests have come back fine as far as potassium and such. I am on a potassium chloride supplement (powdered) that I take in the morning mixed in juice. The pills made me sick as a dog for the longest time. The only anomaly is my thyroid at the moment. T3 was normal, but T4 was high. I think that was the right order. I have to go for more bloodwork in a few weeks and go from there as far as changes in meds and whatnot.

annie175 ~ I'm thinking it might be a combination of dehydration and allergies. Thinking back on the days I felt the worst, I hadn't gotten even half of my minimum water requirement in when I started feeling blah.

I started the allergy medication regiment my doctor prescribed (Flonase and Claritin) and I was feeling a little better yesterday. Increased my water/fluid intake as well, so I am thinking it might be a combination of dehydration and allergies. Never in my life did I think allergies could be a culprit in all this. Granted, it's only been a couple days since I started the meds and if I don't notice anymore of a change or if I get back to feeling like crud, I'm planning on going back to see my primary doctor again about the issue. Maybe the squeaky wheel will get the oil?

Thank you all for the advice.
TheStorySoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

I just happened to see your post, don't regularly come into this forum. When I was using Flonase I started having visual hallucinations. For example if I was looking at a picture frame on the wall, I would also see the same shape right next to it but all in "white". I don't think they always tell all the side effects that can happen from medications. Just thought I would throw that out there. I was on Restasis for dry eye and had to get off that too because it was causing words on the computer and in print to be very crooked, I thought I had macular degeneration.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote