Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #16  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30and300 View Post
That's a good point Jill. =) Hmm, I probably should figure out which surgery I want first... I have some good options in hospital choices due to my insurance, but I have a time limit since my insurance ends when I graduate from school (~August). I'll be in the DC area in summer, so I should probably check out the hospitals here while I'm visiting for the holidays, see if I can figure out what they offer.
Oh cool - I LIVE in the DC area! I can tell you the band and RNY are easy to come by just about anywhere. The VSG is readily available in the DC area as well. The DS is available in northern Virginia, but that particular surgeon in out-of-network for ALL DSes he performs no matter what insurance you have, so it ends up being about $5-8k out of pocket.

For research, I recommend going to a site such as PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/) for actual studies and results on each procedure. I would also recommend having a consultation with a surgeon who performs ALL the procedures so you have a better chance at getting accurate info on each (even if that's not the surgeon you end up having for your surgery, it's okay to consult with multiple). So, maybe one time while you're in the DC area, you can consult with Dr. Elariny (the one in northern VA) even though you might get surgery elsewhere.

If you want, let me know when else you'll be around DC, and I can get a group of WLS patients together for you to meet and ask questions - we're always looking for an excuse to get together for lunch or dinner!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #17  
Old Cackler

another good resource is the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery www.asbs.org

this is the organization that has set up the surgical accreditation and centers of excellence program
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:54 AM   #18  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Height: 5'2"

Well, hmm, did some browsing around on those sites between last minute gift shopping & family arriving... but it's sort of overwhelming there, honestly. So, I read up on the ones that I am aware of (RNY, Lapband & Vertical Sleeve, I haven't looked into the malabsortive stuff yet, so no idea about those.)

So far I have to say that the Lapband is most appealing right now because of the short time in the hospital and the ability to adjust it later, plus from what I read, it has fewer side effects. (I don't mean to start any wars over these procedures or anything like that, just repeating what I've read )

Oh and a side thing. So I was talking to friends and family about the whole idea of surgery. I had a few different reactions:

Some were very supportive and agreed that it would be great for me.

One relative said, "Surgery just makes you eat an ounce only. Why can't you just do that without surgery?" (etc) I was like... "dude, can YOU do that? Every day...?" That was kinda hurtful imo.

A few other relatives said they will support me even if they don't support my decision, and I guess that's ok.

In the end, I am doing what I need to do. They don't have to live in my body and be in pain all the time, and I think this will help me in addition to sticking with Weight Watchers. BTW do other people do WW (not points wise but going to meetings & eating healthy etc) while adjusting to life with surgery? I like the meetings at WW, or just being held accountable every week, and i still learn good stuff from them, emotionally, etc.

Sorry, kind of long... maybe I should have made a new thread. =P
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #19  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30and300 View Post
Well, hmm, did some browsing around on those sites between last minute gift shopping & family arriving... but it's sort of overwhelming there, honestly. So, I read up on the ones that I am aware of (RNY, Lapband & Vertical Sleeve, I haven't looked into the malabsortive stuff yet, so no idea about those.)
psst...the RNY includes some malabsorption.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #20  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

My RYN didn't bypass as much of the small intestine as DS would have. Making a bit safer concerning the complications due to malabsorption. Read about "bypassing" part of both surgeries. It's the reason we have to focus on eating proteins and take extra vitamins and minerals for life. It also seems to be the key factor on relieving symptoms of Diabetes. They are doing some extensive research in that direction. I walked out of the hospital after my RNY without the need for my diabetes meds. And Jill, from her experience and research, will be the first to tell you that DS has a higher rate of recovery numbers for diabetes then any other surgery.

It’s worth looking into!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 12-24-2009 at 02:18 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #21  
Old Cackler

yes, DS is has better numbers with the diabetes - like 85% or more. but the number of people whose diabetes resolves with RNY is more than 70%. there's a lot of other STUFF that has to go into the decision.

as for your relative who said 'just eat like you've already had the surgery' - that person just doesn't understand. don't spend any time trying to discuss it with him/her.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #22  
So tired

That's great for Diabetics, thankfully I do not have diabetes or high blood pressure at all. It has surprised my doctor that I have "such good blood work" when it comes to that. My main problems are the gallbladder and back pain (which may be connected to the gallbladder issues). I just want to be able to move around well again without all the back issues.

Yeah Jiffypop - you're right, she doesn't understand. I think she is worried that if i lose my weight, she will be the "only fat person" in the family. I don't mean that in a cruel way, but that's my perception of the situation, tbh.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #23  

You have found the right place for WLS musings! Do your research, talk to people who have had WLS, learn the pros, cons, ups & downs. But always keep in mind (whatever you may decide) YOU are worth it! You deserve to be happy & healthy.

Oh yes... and have a very happy birthday!!!

blakkDuchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #24  
So tired

Thank you blakkDuchess!! =)
Old 12-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #25  

Welcome to the board If I can be of any help please let me know.

Dawn
*stefani* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:56 PM   #26  

welcome to the board and with whatever board you chose will not regert this one bit i had the vertical sleeve over 4 months ago and would do it again and again. there are some days when i think i may nee the ds to kepp me at goal or get me clsoer but i'm down 80 pounds and just 93 more to go. anyway good luck sweetie!

xoxo,
nikki

Last edited by bloodroses; 12-29-2009 at 11:56 PM.
bloodroses is offline   Reply With Quote