Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #1  
Waiting for summer

S/C/G: 255.5/248.5/190

Height: 5'10

Cool Being hungry

I am currently looking into WLS...have a consultation in a couple of weeks...I have been reading the posts and it seems like the surgery really does make you feel full. I was wondering...do you still get shaky from being hungry or get hunger headaches?
aaneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Have you mentioned these shakes and headaches to your doctor? It sounds to me like you may be experiencing hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) as a result of going too long between meals. RNY can sometimes cause or worsen hypoglycemia, so I would discuss this with your PCP and surgeon before surgery.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

If I don't eat at all I get sick. . .I had to fast for hours for blood work and a glucose test. . .by the last hour I was dizzy and sick
I do get hungry
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #4  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

if I understand your question correctly, you are asking if after surgery you get shaky and/or get a headache instead of hungry? I would say though I don't get headaches, I do get shaky. Especially true in the first 6 months but even now...if I miss a meal (hehehe never thought I would be the kind of person to miss a meal!) I do get shaky. I've learned to schedule my meals so I don't get to that point.

Good Question! Keep them coming!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 10-04-2009 at 09:37 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

i found that, after the RNY, if i didn't eat about 15 grams of protein every 3 hours, i felt woozy and weak-kneed. so yes, you CAN get hypoglycemic episodes [after all, immediately post-op, you're consuming a grand total of about 400-500 calories a day!], BUT, these episodes are generally easy to manage, as long as you pay attention and make sure to tell your doc that they're happening

Last edited by jiffypop; 10-05-2009 at 09:51 AM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #6  
Waiting for summer

S/C/G: 255.5/248.5/190

Height: 5'10

Thanks for your responses...consultation tomorrow with doctor...I will mention it to her.

I tend to get shaky about 3-4 hours after eating...from what I am readings, it seems like after surgery I shoul be eating 6 small meals a day about 3-4 hours apart.

2 more questions...

Where do you get your protein from?

I am a smoker...I read that I shoul quit a month before the surgery...anyone also a smoker?
aaneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

Thank you asking the question about getting shaky. It was on my mind as well.
After the surgery (I am thinking about RNY or the sleeve), do you get shaky if you eat your meals? I am terribly afraid of becoming malnourished on just 500-600 cals a day. How does that work?
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #8  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

smoking makes it harder to heal. Quit as soon as you can, the longer you have the raised oxygen levels the better...that and after surgery, any coughing can cause problems...I quit 11 years ago and am soooooo glad I did for so many reasons. Be good to yourself with good food, exercise and not smoking...you deserve it WLS or not!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 10-05-2009 at 08:21 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWuv View Post
I am terribly afraid of becoming malnourished on just 500-600 cals a day. How does that work?
You make sure you get the good stuff first! Protein should be your primary focus after surgery when it comes to food (different recommended daily protein goals depending on which procedure you have, but I believe all recommend at least 60g protein daily). To ensure you're getting proper nutrition, you should also take vitamins, even if you don't have a malabsorptive procedure. Those with restriction only (such as bands and VSGs) should take a good multivitamin and calcium citrate, at a minimum.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

You've hit the nail on the head - we HAVE TO eat high quality foods. we HAVE TO make each calorie count. and vitamins. and always - with most of the surgeries - protein first!

and we HAVE TO get regular blood work to make sure that we're not deficient. it's the way we have to live in order to be happy and healthy.

also, the 500 or so calories only lasts for a couple of months - after than, you actually start eating a little more. it's a chance to re-learn everything you ever knew, or thought you knew, about feeling hungry, food, eating, how you eat, what you eat, when you eat, etc. it's literally back to the beginning. a new chance!

and this is where attitude comes in. if you view this as a punishment, you're pretty much doomed to be miserable with it. if you view it as an opportunity, a new beginning, you'll be much happier and able to cope.

Last edited by jiffypop; 10-06-2009 at 09:46 AM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote