Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default Question about Cream vs milk

The other day I ordered my coffee with cream instead of milk and I noticed something. Usually I am snacky and cravy in the morning but with the coffee with cream I wasn't snacky at all. Has anyone else had this experience?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/159/130

Height: 5'6"

I find my coffee and hot tea is much more satisfying with cream than with milk. I use light cream and even though it is a bit sugary, I still find it curbs my hunger. I don't know, I think it maybe have something to do with the thickness of the cream over the thinness of milk.
inanesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #3  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Hum...cream has more fat which takes longer to digest and milk has more carbs which makes me want more carbs...which makes me want more carbs...etc...etc. Might have something to do with it.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 10-08-2008 at 03:26 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 238.4/238.4/138

Height: 5' 6"

Default and the sugar??

For someone that is "addicted" (in a loving and joking way) to Dunkin Donuts with Cream / half & half - this makes me happy. I haven't had surgery yet, but my one question I asked at a support group meeting was "Am I able to have coffee with cream". I was told to drink decalf. What about the sugar in coffee, does that bother any of you??
mellkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

yeah - no sugar in coffee - if you DRINK your sugar, it'll cause dumping VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY fast. as for the cream - here's the official line from my doc: as long as you don't end up drinking 1/2 cup of the stuff every day [by drinking cup after cup of coffee or tea], it's fine.

if you DO drink tea or coffee all day long [like me!!!!] get used to drinking it black!!!!!! i've worked out a compromise - i have 2-3 cups of English Breakfast tea in the AM, with about 2 tsp of milk in each, and then THAT'S IT!!! i drink tea without milk for the rest of the day [unless i've had a particularly tough day and need some chai, then i add a tablespoon of milk to it]

oh. and there's another school of thought - from the nurse who ran the program - who said that MILK isn't a bad thing if you drink coffee all day - it can give you a much-needed protein boost. but that's MILK, not cream.

she used to take a large cup of dunkin donuts coffee and mix vanilla protein powder into it every single morning. it worked for her!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I had a 20 oz coffee with cream that probably has 1 or 2 oz of cream in it how does that translate to Tbsp?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #7  
Round is a Shape !

S/C/G: 340/188/170

Height: 5 foot 3 inches

Wow...cream !!!
I still cant do Milk ...so Cream is out of the picture for me!
Sasmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

One ounce equals two tablespoons. I talked with a girl named CJ at the Barix clinic during my checkup and she is nine years out. On the eight year she gained 12 unexplained pounds. She went to her NUT and they started logging all her food and she found this.....Every morning she would stop at Starbucks and get her a small flavored coffee with whole milk. They figured out that it was the coffee that she was having the weight gain from. She cut back to skimmed and she soon lost the 12 extra pounds. Do I do cream, no but occasionally I get a chia tea with all skim and sf cinnamon flav. I do use half and half occasionally, but it is fat free. I don't think a couple of tablespoons a day are going to hurt you if you are not drowning yourself the rest of the day in fats. But.....that is me and I don't know how your body will be doing with the cream....Can't give up everything good in life, but here goes, the word I hate the most. MODERATION! LOL!!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote