Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #1  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Almost 2 weeks post op!

Hi guys,

I made it through surgery just fine. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks. I still can't believe I did this. I feel great. No issues, no complications. I'm eating well, pretty much no restrictions at this point. Last night I had meatloaf. I could only eat half a slice and I was full, but it was gooood.

I'm down 17 lbs so far . The DS is the best thing I could have done for myself. Why did I wait so long?
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

so glad things are going great for you!!!! we don't know much about DS around here, except that it's different than the roux en y, and the lapband. SOOOO, what's your postsurgery food plan like? if you're eating meatloaf after 2 weeks, it doesn't seem like you're very restricted - congratulations!

how much pain was there?? come on - tell us all!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #3  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

Smile

Yes, the Duodenal Switch is different. Instead of a pouch, my stomach is shaped like a banana and I can eat about 4oz initially. I don't have a stoma (the hole at the bottom of the pouch). I still have the normal valve. So no dumping. I still have to avoid sweets though.

My intestines are rearranged a little differently than RNY. I malabsorb more, which means less calories but also less nutrients and a bit more vitamins. I'm taking a multi, iron, calcium, and vitamins A, D, E.

Pain was pretty much non-existent. In the hospital I had the morphine pump. I came home on oxycodone and I was done with those after a few days. I thought it would be worse than it was.

So my post op food plan was liquids for a week and then pureed/soft foods for 3 weeks. It hasn't been so bad. I'm not very restricted. I can eat about a 1/2 cup of food at this point.

After soft foods, I'll have to focus on high protein / low carb. Fats are free since DSers only absorb 20% of the fats we eat. So bacon is a health food for me (still can't believe that one).

Eat my protein, take my vites, drink my water, and lose this weight for good. I'm so looking forward to this ride.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

That's awesome that you had the DS--I've been researching a lot lately, and I'm down to the DS and the mini gastric bypass as my main contenders still standing. I am leaning toward the DS, though, at this moment (though that could change 5 minutes from now ).

What was it that made you choose the DS over the RNY? I'm sorry if you've discussed this in earlier threads, but I'm pretty new to the WLS area
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #5  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
That's awesome that you had the DS--I've been researching a lot lately, and I'm down to the DS and the mini gastric bypass as my main contenders still standing. I am leaning toward the DS, though, at this moment (though that could change 5 minutes from now ).

What was it that made you choose the DS over the RNY? I'm sorry if you've discussed this in earlier threads, but I'm pretty new to the WLS area
Hey! I think I remember you from the 100 lb club. How've you been?

I researched the RNY and DS extensively. I chose the DS for a few reasons. Quality of eating post op is one. Not saying RNYers don't eat, but DSers eat better. RNYers have to watch fat intake. DSers don't. Plus, the DS stomach is larger.

Also, the risk of RNY complications and/or regain compared to the DS. I participate in another forum (Obesity Help) and I've never seen or heard of a DS revision. I know several people who've gotten revised from RNY to DS. This is the only WLS that I want.

Another is success in losing the weight. The chances of success with the DS are greater than anything else out there. I want this weight gone for good.

Finally, in hanging around that other forum, the people who had the DS just seemed happier. Not knocking RNY folks, because I know MANY people who are happy and successful with their surgery. But going by the posts on the boards, I'd say there are far less issues on the DS side.

I don't know too much about the MGB, but what I've heard wasn't too good. Please research thoroughly if you do go that route.

If you have any more questions, send me a PM. I can probably point you to some other resources. Good luck on your journey!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

haha, I just joined Obesity Help yesterday!

I have read all the same things you mentioned about DS versus GB. I think the appeal of the MGB for me was the shorter hospital stay with similar results as the RNYGB, but the more I read, the more I think DS is likely a better fit. However, it is generally reserved for heavier people than me (since insurance companies like to think they know anything about which surgery is right for someone based solely on BMI ), so I'll have to check the specific requirements with my insurance provider. I think since I am both obese and have a co-morbidity (type 2 diabetes, which comes with elevated triglycerides and blood pressure), I might qualify.

And you're right--I used to post in the 100 lb club section a lot. Now I'm a wanderer
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyRevealed View Post
Fats are free since DSers only absorb 20% of the fats we eat.
Congratulations, I"m so glad things are going well for you. I'm a little lost with that statement above. I would think you would have to be careful of fats since you only absorb 20% ... what happens to the other 80% ?

You see I'm thinking along the lines of of those pills people take where they can't eat to much fat b/c they don't absorb it and it gives them the runs. See... I told you I was lost

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #8  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
Congratulations, I"m so glad things are going well for you. I'm a little lost with that statement above. I would think you would have to be careful of fats since you only absorb 20% ... what happens to the other 80% ?

You see I'm thinking along the lines of of those pills people take where they can't eat to much fat b/c they don't absorb it and it gives them the runs. See... I told you I was lost

Yes, you are right. The 80% is undigested and comes out the "other" end. But no runs like Alli. Why, I don't know. Magic, I guess. I'm sure there's a scientific explanation though.

I do know that the intestines are rerouted so that bile (the stuff that breaks down fat) only reaches the food at the very end of the intestine, as opposed to the entire length beforehand. So less fat is absorbed into the body.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Thats like a dream come true

This is really interesting, thanks for all this info

When can you go to solid foods?

Last edited by Leenie; 07-09-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Hey Sexy!

I'm glad things are going so well for you. I'm excited to have a DSer because you can help educate those who come after you and come here for support and questions. Do what the doctor tells you and keep us informed. I'm really ignorant about the DS. It wasn't an option that my insurance would approve!!! So I didn't do much research on it. WOOT TO YOU!!!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:05 AM   #11  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I am so happy for you!

Do everything by the book and all will be well.

I know two parents here in town that have had the DS...one of them, last I heard anyway, was very, very anemic and was in and out of the hospital...and the other is doing fabulously, has lost more then 200lbs.
I think that I am lucky to say that I, as a RNYer, have not had any complications in the last 5+ months and I know that some here have...I think it's something to think about with ANY WLS.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 07-10-2008 at 02:07 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:16 AM   #12  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
Thats like a dream come true

This is really interesting, thanks for all this info

When can you go to solid foods?

I'm pretty much on solids now. Soft solids anyway. I've had meatloaf, meatballs, a cheeseburger without the bun. All moist and chewed really well.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:17 AM   #13  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanj View Post
I'm glad things are going so well for you. I'm excited to have a DSer because you can help educate those who come after you and come here for support and questions. Do what the doctor tells you and keep us informed. I'm really ignorant about the DS. It wasn't an option that my insurance would approve!!! So I didn't do much research on it. WOOT TO YOU!!!
Thank you! Congrats on your success!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:20 AM   #14  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by missangelaks View Post
I am so happy for you!

Do everything by the book and all will be well.

I know two parents here in town that have had the DS...one of them, last I heard anyway, was very, very anemic and was in and out of the hospital...and the other is doing fabulously, has lost more then 200lbs.
I think that I am lucky to say that I, as a RNYer, have not had any complications in the last 5+ months and I know that some here have...I think it's something to think about with ANY WLS.

Angela
Thanks Angela! I agree, with any surgery there can be serious complications and we all have to be diligent about whatever is required to be successful. Good luck to you!
Old 07-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #15  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

you are doing really good. thanks for the info. i also had never heard of it. my ins only covered band and gb
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote