Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 380/Ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Default First Appointment Re: WLS July 3rd

Good Morning!

I usually post in the 300+ thread, but I think I need to be here right now. I
have decided that I have struggled long enough (I am 46) and really feel that the only way I can acomplish my goals are by having the Lap Band. I have gained back 1/2 of the weight I had originally lost this time (I have to update my ticker, but I am still in denial and can't bring myself to do it right now), and am starting to have leg pain just getting my butt off the couch. I haven't been getting any exercise because I have Plantar Facitis, after 2 weeks of starting any exercise it flairs up again.
I had 2 "AH-HA" moments...when I took my daughter for her dance pictures and sat looking at myself in the dance room mirrors~wondering what the **** happened, and then when I got a WiiFit for my Mother's Day present, and I can't use it because I am over the limit...the damn thing just dismissed me just like the rest of society does.
I work with a woman who had the LB in October and she is doing great. She is so happy I made this decision (originally she tried to talk me into it, but I wasn't ready) and is my biggest supporter besides my DH. I'm honestly a little scared because I lost a friend when she was on the table having Gastric Bypass about 18 years ago, but I really think I am ready.
Thanks for listening and any help and encouragement will be welcome...
Have a great Day!
MamaBplus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Default Welcome!

MamaB, we are so happy to have you here and that you are doing something that will give you a good tool for health and happiness. I don't know much about the lapband, but there are really a lot of good people here who can help you. We will reserve a spot for you over at the loser's bench.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 258/ticker/135

Height: 5'3

Definately go to youtube.com and look up lab band. You'll see so many there doing video diarys and it's so motivating! I'm going to be banded in July at my work (I work at a hospital that has a bariatric clinic inside).

I'm so ready to do this myself! I haven't gotten all the support, and lost a friend a long the way (I can't be her buffet buddy anymore) but this is my life and I've informed myself and I can't be held back if others don't support my decision.

Please do some research, you'll feel better about lap band. You'll discover it doesn't have 1/2 the risks gastric does. You'll also learn no more carbonated beverages, no more using straws, and how you have to get in 60 grams of protein a day. Ah, what a journey you have ahead of you. And it starts today you'll learn, not when you get the actual surgery.

Keep us updated!
Melody2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 316/SD300/254/180 RNY 3-4-08

Height: 5'8

Welcome to the group. Things have really come a long way in the last 18 years. I am not saying there are no risks, but things are a lot better. Read all you can and inform yourself and you will be much better for it. There are a lot of great people here and all the support you could hope for!

Welcome
whitelion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

MamaB, I'm sure we can all identify with your struggle. I remember well the feeling of hopelessness. There's not a doubt in my mind that I would have died obese if not for my surgery. I've never regretted it. I wish you the best in your journey.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #6  

Thanks for the Warm Welcome everyone!!

Melody2006: Wow...youtube doesn't leave anything to the imagination, does it!!! Thanks for the tip~it has been interesting viewing!

Last edited by MamaBplus3; 06-20-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #7  

So tomorrow is my 1st consultation and I am freaking out...I don't know if it is from excitement or nervousness! DH is supposed to come with me, as long as he only works 7pm until 3am instead of 7am. If not, I am on my own. I wasn't sure if I originally wanted him to come, but now I think I really need him there!!
Wish me luck and I will let you all know how it goes!!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:45 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

warm thoughts - hopeful vibes - all coming your way!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #9  

I don't know why I was freaking out...the appointment went well and I LOVE the surgeon. He was so nice as was his staff. I really am ready to do all of this. I came home and I have made appointments for my PCP, Upper GI, and Pulmonary all in the next 3 weeks. All I have left to schedule is Psych,Nutritionist and Cardiologist...I really want to do this before School starts (I am the Greeter at our Middle School) and they said if I got all the appts done, it could happen.
We shall see...

PS-I lost a lb...probably anxiety!! LOL!

Last edited by MamaBplus3; 07-05-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #10  
ShrinkingPamelalala

S/C/G: 271/179/155ish

Height: 5'7'

Woohoo! You're on your way to a better, more healthy life! Congrats and I hope it all works out for you.
Pamela (I gotta get to 25 posts soon so I can get a ticker! LOL)
tropigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 497/349/250

Hi All
I also am seriously thinking of having the lapband and my first consultation in July 22nd. MamaBplus3 If you manage to complete all the tests, get insurance approval and have surgery before school starts I will be very impressed. I have waited over 6 weeks just to see the Dr for the first time. I filled out an on line application Memorial Weekend, they called me within 2 days, sent me 5 videos to watch and now I'm waiting, and waiting and waiting. In the mean time I joined WW again for the umpteenth time and also started a modified exercise program at Curves. I know from past experience I can lose weight on diets but I can't maintain the weight loss. With this WLS I should be able to do it. I don't know if this site lets you list other sites so email me if you like. I am on 2 other lapband sites that have message boards and they are also willing to answer all kinds of questions.
ssflbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 375/375/200

Height: 5'9"

I am so happy to have found this site! I am having RNY on Aug 15th, and I'm so nervous. My husband in back in Iraq, but my Mom will be here to help. The approval process was simple compared to the horror stories I have read online. I guess it's just the fear of the unknown. I am worried about being in the hospital and away from my kids (3 daughters), but I'm excited, too. I am prepared for the life change, but part of me (the crazy part) thinks of oreos and fried chicken as friends that will be missed-especially while my husband is deployed! I would love to hear the real deal from some of you who have had the surgery. You know, what to really expect. Even if it is gross or awful-I'd really rather know and be prepared. I've been fat for about 14 yrs, and I am ready to jump back into life. I miss sports and all the outdoor activities I have not been able to participate in for yrs. I hope to meet some people on here who can support me through this, and some I can help after I have my surgery. I am excited/scared/nervous all at once, and I can't get enough information. So, if you have any advise or tips or anything....please let me know!
Thanks,
M~
5LemonDrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:32 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 375/375/200

Height: 5'9"

I almost forgot~Congrats, MamaB, on a great 1st appointment and a surgeon that you love!
Best of luck!,
M~
5LemonDrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #14  

5LemonDrops: Yes, I too am feeling conflicted reguarding all the foods that I will "miss"!!! But I realize it's all for the greater good and I am tired of being 46 and feeling like I am 76!!! I think that is why one of the appointments is for a Psych consult!!! LOL!

ssfbelle: I waited over a month for my 1st appt. I think the only thing that will probably hold me up will be the insurance company...but this Dr. has been doing this for so long and know all the ins and outs...I just hope all the other Dr. offices are as reliable! (but I doubt it!) Worst case scenario is I have to wait longer and then I will wait until Oct, when all I will have to take off is 1 day from work. I too had joined WW for the bazillionth time and got to within 6lbs of 10% loss and started gaining again. It happens every time. Plus I have plantar facitis which made me stop exercising. I am doing the lapband so this all can stop.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #15  
Old Cackler

wow!!!! A person misses a lot if she doesn't have internet access for a few days. congrats, mamab!!!!! all those ducks are sure lining up nicely for you -

and lemondrops - welcome welcome welcome! and big hugs to you, your family, and your husband. we will absolutely be here for you throughout this. my two cents: the first three months after gastric bypass ARE NOT EASY. but it's only 3 months, and it gets better [keep reminding yourself of that as food after food after food disagrees with your system, and you're battling head hunger because you only THINK that you should eat - but you really don't need to, and you try to eat carbs!!]

welcome aboard BELLE!!! many of us have had experiences like the one you described - and MORE. but then again, there have been others [not many, but SOME] who have sailed through the process from initial consultation to surgery in less than 6 weeks. it's hard to predict who will have trouble and who won't.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote