Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #1  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Default Someone Kick My Butt!!!

I'm so mad at myself, yet can't seem to change my habits! The past week I've eaten really badly, and it's shown with a 3 Lb's GAIN! I find that during the winter months I get too "comfortable". Last DH and I had a movie night, and he brought home a bunch of junk...and I sat down and ate most of it, not because I was really hungry, but because it was there. My meals aren't portioned at all I just put stuff on my plate and eat it. I seem to always find an "excuse" not to weigh or measure my food, count the calories, etc...

The whole counting calories thing is really driving me crazy!!! I hate cooking, because if I make something, I have to count the calories that are in each ingredient, then get a grand total, then divide that by the number of servings, and it is such a pain in the butt! I never do it! I can't get into that habit! Maybe this way of doing things isn't for me after all. The problem is, what is the way I should do it? I have no idea what I'm doing anymore....
Old 10-23-2006, 10:03 AM   #2  
It's working this time!

S/C/G: 235/212/175

Height: 5' 1.5"

I'm sorry you're having a rough time. I don't really have any words of wisdom. I just thought you could probably use a hug.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #3  
Each step gets me closer

S/C/G: 307/289/150

Height: 5'10

Sorry you have had a bad week.

I don't count calories. It drives me nuts too. I just make sure I am eating healthy foods and decent portion sizes. I don't really measure anything, just eye ball it. You have to do something that you know you can stick to for a lifetime. If I had to count every calorie that I ate for the rest of my life, I would shoot myself!
What I am doing seems to be working, I've lost 12 lbs already this month!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:41 AM   #4  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 207.5/179/140

Height: 5'6

I will only kick yours if you will kick mine. I am in the same boat as you and it is really frustrating. I have been losing and gaining the same 2 1/2 pounds for weeks now. I don't know why things changed all of a sudden for me but that is what it seems like they did. I also count calories and the thought of writing down one more meal was making me go insane. I have counted for about two weeks now and although the freedom from that feels nice when I step on the scale for weigh-in it feels not so great. I don't know what advice to give you since I have yet to figure it out for myself but do know that you are not alone in this. I really want to get a grip though before the holidays hit. I want to get these last pounds off and make goal but for me right now I am just trying to maintain until I figure out what my deal is. I hope things get better for you. Give yourself some time to think about if things are going on that are affecting your progress. Just know though this is just one of the many bumps in life and you will get over it so hang in there. Have a great day!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #5  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Ooooohhhh...can I add myself here? I'm rapidly gaining what I lost and I know it's winter time fat. I can't seem to get myself to do anything but eat, eat and eat some more. I'm planning on staying at work late this week so that as soon as I go home, I can have dinner and it won't be at a crazy time like 4:00 pm where I'm hungry by 8:00 pm and then have to make another dinner and pack on the cals. UGH. I was so proud when I got to 161 and now I'm back to 167.

Someone out there help us!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:35 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I know for me that I can absolutely not have any junk in our home, because I will eat it. My family has been very supportive and that is a true blessing. You have to keep healthy snacks in the house like apples and pears and nonfat yogurt, multi-grain rice cakes with a little peanut butter or low-fat cheese. I like to put red or green grapes in the freezer. They're yummy and they take a long time to eat. I also make healthy meals and if for some reason I overeat them, it's not a deal breaker. I eat grilled chicken cutlets for dinner with salad or veggies, steamed cauliflower, zuchini and sugar snap peas.

Now granted this food takes some planning, you need to shop about once a week and you do need some preparation time, but it is so worth it.
I also have been drinking lots of water and I use a smaller plate then a dinner plate. This is a conscious choice I make to eat healthy and once the deciscion was made it has become easier, although not easy. And since I started this about 7 weeks ago I have dropped somewhere around 28 pounds, I weigh-in next Monday so it does work. For me it was purely the deciscion aspect of it that made it click, I just decided I don't want to be fat anymore and like they say "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" and I look forward to putting that phrase into motion.

Please hang in there and perhaps rethink your past methods for weightloss. Lose the calorie counting thing by eating only healthy foods and see if you are indeed ready to make the deciscion to lose weight.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 205/199/150

Height: 5'8"

Kick me too!!! I have been losing and gaining the same 2 pounds for a month. Sometimes I tend to wonder if I need to up my calories a little. 2 weeks ago I started doing Slim in 6 workouts and I really enjoy them, but I'm not losing weight, just inches. Why is the number on the scale so important?
Old 10-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #8  
Fat-be-gone

can someone kick me too, please??
Old 10-23-2006, 12:00 PM   #9  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

How about I just come kick all of you?!? *KICK*

Cal counting: Have you tried fitday? It is really convenient to log everything in and see fat/carb/protein ercentages for the day etc. If you are like most people and eat similiar meals regularily then you only have to make a custom food once. Then after it is saved in your fitday. Like if I do chicken enchiladas it is tedious putting all the ingredients in but then I don't ever have to do it again!

Anyhow if the cal counting is too much effort, have you tried Weight watchers points?

Also I wanted to say I think if you are not aware of true portion sizes it is worth it to measure sometimes. Like how much is a cup of rice or mashed potatos or beans? This way at least you will know. Sometimes a cup is alot bigger or smaller than you would imagine. I know my red meat nite(once a week) I eat about half as much as I used to since now I weigh it first!
Old 10-23-2006, 12:29 PM   #10  
Workin' My *** Off!

Tisha Thank you so much for that hug! Much needed and appreciated!

Andie I am so glad that is working for you! I wish I had that kind of good fortune!

Tina I hear your frustration! You've done so well!! They say the last few pounds is the hardest... man they weren't kidding! I just can't get into the calorie counting jazz though. It drives me batty!!! Glad to know I'm not alone....

Sunnigummi I totally know the whole eating and eating and more eating feeling....I feel like a Squirrel storing food for the winter! LOL! I don't know what it is...or what causes it, but I wish it would stop!!! ARGH! Good luck to you!

"fed" up I wish I had the luxery of shopping once a week, but I don't have the money to do that...at all! Finances are really tight. And I find that if I shop once a week, I end up spending more money then we have! I'm glad your family is so supportive of your weightloss...I wish my hubby was.

jasmine I've tried fitday, nutri diary, but just never stick to it. I can't seem to find time to sit and write everything out, or even type everything out... I've never tried weight watchers at all. You're right about the measuring food...I'm sure I would shock myself with how much I eat...maybe I'll try that for a bit...just measuring and not counting.... see what that does...

Thanks all.... I hope I get over this sillyness!!! I don't want to pack on the pounds I've lost...even if it's not many!
Old 10-23-2006, 02:36 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh my gosh Canadian mickey - you are truly making me soo sad. I wish I knew what to say to you - obviously I said all the wrong things earlier. It sounds like you really have a tough situation on your hands. I'm gonna follow Tisha's lead and send you a big hug since that seems to be what you need most.Heck we could all use a big hug every now and then, more now than then.

The only thing I can say is I really truly will be thinking of you often and I hope your situation takes a positive turn real soon. You definitely have a place to turn and that's here. We will be here to support you in whatever way you need.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:54 PM   #12  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Amanda, Hi and Hugs. This too will pass. Best wishes for your continued success. I'm one of the few on here that does not have the patience to count calories either. I do count carbs, but only about 20 a day, so not much work in counting that. I'm sure you will get straightened back out and on the right track.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Hey Mickey -

I swear to you, I've given up dieting about five times now because Fitday was driving me insane!! It is because I am a perfectionist - and I would freak out about not knowing whether I'd had 250 g of shrimp, or 300 g, or a cup - and I'd end up scrapping the whole thing!

I am back using Fitday as of last Mon. (this may be my longest stretch "on" so far), and I had to seriously make a deal with myself that it is OKAY to ballpark it, to go for the closest thing, to take my best guess, and to not mess with that stupid custom food thingie! I am using it as a GUIDELINE, and as long as I am CLOSE, it is GOOD ENOUGH.

At least, that's what I'm telling myself for now. But it does seem to be working this time.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #14  
I restore Teeth.

Canadian Mickey,

I had that problem a long time ago. I decided to stop counting, and it worked for me. Eventually I was able to adjust my intuition to a "frugal" mode and just eat whatever I need to make myself satisfied (that of course, is based on your judgement). I'm now less paranoid about calories and just about portions/moderations/frequency.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:21 AM   #15  
Workin' My *** Off!

"fed" up: Don't worry! I do appreciate your take on things, and hearing what works for people! Don't feel bad at all! by the way...thanks for the hug! (((Hugs back!)))

lilybelle That's a great idea!!! Counting only carbs! Maybe I'll give that a try! Thanks for the tip!

Su-Bee: My fellow Canadian!!! I'm glad I'm not the oly one to find fitday so frustrating! LOL! You're right it is a guideline. I just hate entering all the foods if I make muffins or something... drives me mental!!! Lug out all the ingredients, and put that all in there... :P Not a fan! Maybe I'll try it again or come up with my own method that works better for me.

Veggie If you don't count, do you focus more on portion control?? Oops, you said that in your post! LOL! Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement! Calorie counting is gone bye-bye! It just drove me insane! I'm going to watch my portions, because that is also half the battle, and is another one of my nemesis these days. I think if I tackle one thing at a time...then it might seem a little less overwhelming. That's what I'm hoping anyway! Here's to hoping it works!

Closed Thread