Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-28-2006, 01:11 AM   #1  
Believe and Achieve

S/C/G: 365/311/180

Default Punishment and Reward

Some of you ever "reward" yourself with unhealthy foods? Ever eat something that you weren't supposed to? Yeah, I think we've all done that. Well, that "reward" isn't really a reward for your hard work. It's an actually punishment for your hard work! Think about it. Your body really does not like to take in unhealthy foods. Sure it tastes good to your tongue but what is your body "tasteing?" A lot of fat and calories and God knows what else. So that means that eating those healthy and nutritious foods are the actual reward for you and your body. Next time you reach for that candy bar think twice about taking in that "reward."

Christina
butterfly_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:34 AM   #2  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I used to do that in the beginning, yeah - but then it also struck me that those foods were precisely what had made me fat to start with, so why should I make them a "reward"?? I won't deny that I'm not always "good". At times, I also eat pizza or stuff like that (in lesser quantities than before, of course). However, I don't do it as a reward, it's more a kind of... "it's happened, ok, now let's move on to something else" (like when the boss orders pizza during a work reunion going on during lunch, and doesn't add salad to it). I'm afraid that if I make it a reward, my mind will end up associating it with something positive, and that I'll make use of it for everything I do well (work stuff, exams, a nice drawing, etc). Which would send me gaining weight again, and ruin my efforts to adopt a healthier lifestyle, I'm sure.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:02 AM   #3  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Everything is good in moderation.

I love cheesecake. I can't eat it on a regular basis, and while I won't use it as a 'reward,' I will treat myself with it if my husband and I go to a restaurant with particularly good stuff.

I just can't jump on the bandwagon that it's so terrible for my body to indulge every now and again. It's all a matter of balance.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:32 AM   #4  
Believe and Achieve

You two are exactly right. Moderation is ok. (Moderation-not having it in your house) LOL.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:43 AM   #5  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

LoLz!!! If I had cheesecake in my house I'd be waaaayyyyy worse off than I am now!!!!
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:01 AM   #6  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Oh yes, I don't have these in my house! Never! It's only for restaurants and other similar circumstances. Commitment is what we need, but voluntary self-torture by keeping foods I' better touch in my cupboards is crazy.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:52 AM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I try to never use food as a reward. I do occasionally plan for a treat on holidays and birthdays and such. Even this planned treat, sends me heading for extra exercise. Having lost this much weight before, this is one of the biggest differences for me. Last time, each week after weigh-in, I would go through a drive-through and get a cheeseburger, fries and regular coke and shovel it down on the way home. I haven't done this not once this time.

I know what you mean about cheesecake, I could eat a whole one. I don't have this type of food in my house either.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:08 AM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

"Rewards" of bad food are like an addict celebrating being drug-free with a shot of heroine!

It really is a punishment, like you said, butterfly_dreams.

I can't have ice cream in the house. Cheesecake, I don't care one way or another--lucky me!

I do plan ahead for going out to eat--I also try to eat at restaurants where there are some weight-loss friendly choices, like Applebees.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 259/140/140

I am pretty much the opposite. I punish myself with food. If I get on the scales and see no loss or I gain instead, I punish myself by eating something very bad for me. I try to tell myself it is just a scale and as long as I have been doing everything right that the scales do not matter. I still cannot get over the feeling of failure when I do not lose. This is the story of my life and the reason I am fat in the first place.
When I lose I reward myself with a new kind of protein drink, movie, shopping trip, the things normal skinny people do. Things that are good.
Terrie
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I reward myself with non-food items (new clothes!!!).

Interestingly, it isn't the cheesecake (which I adore) that bothers me when I have it in the house--it's the more "convenient" things like cookies and crackers. I'm the type that will grab a couple things from the pantry and eat them and go back for more. With things like cakes and ice cream, you have to get out a plate (or at the very least a fork or spoon!!!) and that defeats the purpose of the snack for me. (Weird, huh?)
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 AM   #11  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

I have specific reward days. Oct 14, Dec 14, and Feb 14 Each day is 2 months from the day I started my new lifestyle. For Oct 14 I will get my hair done. Dec 14 I will get a new pair of jeans and Feb 14 I am going to get ne lingerie. Only if I keep it up, and I know that I will because I am so happy with this new exercise/eating lifestyle.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I reward myself with new clothes...although I have been known to say "Gee, you're doing so good, that pizza won't hurt!" And though I have indulged, I just up my exercise or something and everything works out. I do also plan calories for treats like that, so I never go over my calorie count (except very rarely)

Allison - I am with you, before I would go back and forth to the pantry and get crackers or cookies or chips or whatever, or even slices of bread, but to get a dish out and put ice cream in it or slice a piece of pie just seems like too much work! LOL
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #13  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_dreams View Post
You two are exactly right. Moderation is ok. (Moderation-not having it in your house) LOL.
SO TRUE, SO TRUE....
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:36 PM   #14  
Believe and Achieve

So glad ya'll are doing the right kind of rewards. I too reward myself with clothes or going to the amusement park. I can't get enough of those roller coasters. lol.