Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-22-2006, 03:22 PM   #1  

Default Pant size?????

I know this is probably different for everyone but I am going to ask anyway. How much weight did you have to lose before you went down a pant size?
GoingGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

There was a long, long thread about this same subject a while back. Basically-at your current weight, you are going to have to lose more to lose a pants size than someone who is going from say, 140 to 130 pounds.

There was a great analogy that was mentioned about a roll of paper towels. If you take 7-8 paper towels off of a full roll-it isn't that noticeable...but if you take the same amount off of a roll that is over halfway gone-then you are going to see the difference more readily.

There are also other things that come into play-such as your body shape (apple, hourglass, pear, etc.) as well as your height, and your level of fitness/how much you exercise. If you have two women who both lose 20 pounds...and one is 5'1" and the other 5'11", the weight loss is going to look more dramatic on the shorter woman-because that weight is taken off of a shorter body.

There are a lot of variables here...anywhere from 7 pounds to 35 to lose a pants size-depending on the myriad of factors.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:10 PM   #3  
hara hachi bu

I have to lose a good 30 pounds to drop a pants size.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:44 PM   #4  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Yeah, that was an interesting thread. It really is amazing how two people of similar weight and height can wear such different sizes! I had to lose a good 30 - 35 (205 to about 170) to get from a 16/18 to a 14 (sometimes a 12 in dress/skirts). It differs widely.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:58 PM   #5  

Aphil is absolutely right! It all depends... the body type played a huge roll for me. I have lost from 154 lb to 145 lb now, but I am only 5'1". My pant size is still 14 P (pear shaped bdy). But my shirt size has gone from L to S ! (my 34 B size has gone to 134 A).

And it wasnt like I was exersicing my upper body. I did running which I thought would help my lower body more.

Also I think (from my past weight loss experience of 30 lb) once you start coming off your sizes, its alwys faster from there. But that initial start always takes time.
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/128/138

Height: 5'7

Do you guys know where I might find that other post? I did a search but am not seeing anything pop out at me. I'd be interested in reading it.
TIA!
amynbebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:46 PM   #7  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

I never knew this!

I've been estimating my pants sizes/weight loss based on previous weight loss but this is great to keep in mind.

I would definitely love to read that thread if anyone knows where it is!

what a great question!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:51 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Yup, what they said--I had lost almost 50 pounds (from 310.5 to about 263). I started in size 22 pants and went all the way down to (drumroll please...) size 22 pants Sure, they fit a little better, as there was not as much of what I like to call "hangover" on top, but it was still quite frustrating that I never got to buy any new smaller clothes

Everyone loses weight from different parts of their body in a different order--obviously, I lose VERY slowly from my middle, while I can almost immediately tell a difference in my ankles, wrists, outter thighs, and butt (which I hate, since I don't have much of a butt to start with ). I've seen other women around my same starting weight (or even higher) who only had to lose 10-20 pounds to fit into a smaller size, so it is a very highly individual thing.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:28 AM   #9  

I'm glad to read this thread. I thought it was just me I've lost 44 lbs already (252 high) and am just now starting to ditch my size 20's for 18's.

The paper towel roll analogy is a good one!
nonames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:29 AM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I had to lose at least 20 lbs. to drop from a size 20 to a size 18, but then once I got closer to goal, I went down a pant size every 8 to 10 lbs. My sis is 5'4 and weighs the exact same amount as me. I am 5'7 and I wear 4 sizes smaller than her in pants, and she wears a medium shirt and I wear a large. So, it all depends on how tall you are and what your body type is.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:54 PM   #11  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Interesting. I haven't lost a pound but my 20s are already getting baggy - I'm dropping inches. I wonder why that is. It really is getting under my skin that the scale won't budge an millimeter!
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:06 PM   #12  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

This is interesting! I am 5'4 and in size 18/16 on my way down. Last month for my husbands class reunion I bought a new outfit, shorts and shirt, the shorts were size 20 (I had never wore that size before) a week after I started exercising I put the shorts on and took two steps and they fell off. I have approx. 3 inches in my belly to lose before I can zip up my big 14s. (I have sm, md, lg. size 14s depending on the brand) After the 14s I am going to buy my 10/12 at the salvation army(I don't want to spend alot of $$ on clothes I hope to only be in for a couple of months) . I hope to be a size 7-9 by valentines day.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #13  

I can relate that it most definatly depends on your body, its shape and what kind of excercise you do. I started at 305lbs and a snug size 24 I am 215 now I am a snug size 14. I am 5'9" and I guess an hourglass figure. I do 3 miles on the treadmill everyday and 100 sit ups on a stability ball. Its really depends on your own body. Like I have lots tons on my legs, hips and butt and around my waist but not really much in the front like where my belly button is and my stomache is still fatty, but we will get there. Also the closer I get to my goal the harder it seems to lose that next dress size or even that next lbs.
Glasgowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #14  
mostly harmless

I've gone from a snug 18 to a 12/soon to be 10 with just 36 lbs. Most of my weight is in my hips, butt and thighs, so the change is most dramatic there.
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #15  

Thanks for all the info. I really like the paper towel theory too!! I am 5'5" and wear a size 24 pant and 2x top. I am large boned. I have large hands. When I buy gloves I always have to get men's because women's are always too tight. I carry most of my weight in the tummy area, I call my front butt. I hate it!! I am determined to get rid of it! I am GoingGoal !!!!
GoingGoal is offline   Reply With Quote