Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-25-2006, 09:22 PM   #1  

Default Teaching Ideas....

Okie...at the high school level many teachers in my school have an honor system candy jar that the kids are allowed to take a piece from at the beginning or end of class without asking....IT works very well and teaches them an important skill about the real world....Last year, I had several kids with diabetes so....I kept the following things on my desk that the kids could take as needed and THEY LOVED IT....I'd like some more ideas for this year to keep us away from the candy.....Last year I had:

1 - A Variety of Bath and Body Works Lotions for them to use
2- Sugar Free Gum and Mints
3 - Neon Cap Erasers for their pencils
4 - Stress Balls (they could use and return as needed)

What else would be good especially for the MALE students as the girls ABSOLUTELY go NUTS with the Lotion....and they are very respectful about the amount they use....All suggestions appreciated...
cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

If I were a parent, I would ask the candy jars be removed be completely. Isn't there enough temptation without free candy at the beginning or end of every class (how many classes are there a day? 6? 8?) High school me would have been in the candy at every class (and I would have abused the honor system completely for candy, just the same way I ate the frosting straight from the container at home without asking Mom).

I think your suggestions are great. What about novelty pens (write in fun colors) or wacky little stickers (I mean, it's not like kids RETURN the candy, stuff to keep should be okay).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:24 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

I agree with Glory! I don't "get" how letting kids take candy from a jar twice during class is teaching them anything good.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:20 AM   #4  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I am really pleased that you are looking for alternatives to food treats. I get upset with our staff (I teach in an elementary school) who offer kids food treats, when we are trying to focus on healthy eating and making good choices. Seems to send mixed messages to me. I allow my kids to have water and healthy treats on their desks. They have been really good about this and I see a great variety of vegetables and fruit. I like to offer this because we don't have morning tea/recess until 10:40 and some kids eat breakfast REALLY early, so this keeps them going.

I give out similar things to you (minus the gum - our cleaning staff would shoot me if I gave out gum) for prizes. I have fancy pens, sparkly pencils, stickers, notebooks, erasers, sharpeners, pens with fancy erasers on the end, all sorts of bits and pieces. I also have other things in the prize box that they can use to replenish their supplies, such as glue sticks and highlighters. The kids never comment about not food being offered, although this does only seem to come in at the later grades, so I don't think they are used to it yet.

I know that it must be harder with the older kids, and I don't give these out on a daily basis, so it is easier to choose things with a higher monetary value. I'm not really clear on what the motivation is for giving something every day before and after a lesson. I don't have any suggestions for what you could offer older boys, except perhaps to contact some sporting organisations and see if they have stickers, posters etc. But the supplies would run out fairly quickly I would imagine.

I hope that the other teachers at your school start to follow your example.

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:42 AM   #5  
bep
Certifiable CHOCOHOLIC!!!

S/C/G: 255/211/150

Height: 5'5"

You are doing a great thing! I don't know if I can post this or not, so I will...if it gets deleted, then I will understand.

I have used this website to order small inexpensive things for kids: orientaltrading.com/
There are lots of really cheap items in bulk. You might find it worth checking out.
bep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:44 AM   #6  
bep
Certifiable CHOCOHOLIC!!!

S/C/G: 255/211/150

Height: 5'5"

PS....check out the "Novelties" items.
bep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #7  

The kids don't take from the jars every period and some hardly EVER...You would be surprised...every once in awhile...a kid needs a pick me up and they can take a piece of candy...The kids are told this at the beginning of the year and it doesn't seem to get abused...In my opinion...at the ages of 14-19, kids need to realize that moderation is a good thing as well as the fact that they are trusted....to only take occasionally....Our teachers are VERY good about nipping repeat offenders, but lord knows with the stresses on kids today...every one needs a treat once in awhile....
cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

We are surrounded, absolutely bombarded with "treats" everywhere. I don't think that kids should get indoctrinated with the idea that candy is a treat that everybody needs to feel good. I used to tell myself this all the time - work was hard, I need ice cream. I'm traveling and it's hard to be away from home, I need to order 2 appetizers, just to try them AND dessert with dinner (it's an expense account, might as well treat myself!). I think the idea of "I DESERVE a treat" is a very dangerous idea, because I was really really good at rationalizing anything.

I think you have great ideas for non food pick me ups, I hope other teachers follow suit.

I would have abused the candy as a kid. I was a chronic food thief. I'm not sure if I was just good at it or if no one called me on it, but I would have helped myself to candy at every opportunity. Just an example of my food obsessions as a child: I distinctly remember leftover birthday cake in the refrigerator in the garage (family had an extra frig out there). I remember stealthily sneaking out, cutting a piece, eating it in secret. Repeating the process. Going back for cake, frosting, even if the cake was old and hard, it didn't matter.

I really can't believe that no one in my family could figure out what happened to packages of brown sugar that I would eat by the secret spoonful, containers of frosting that I would sneak out of the cabinets, hide in the bathroom and scoop out bits with my finger, pans of brownies where I would eat them all night long. Bread that I would roll into little balls, sprinkle with sugar and eat. I remember babysitting, looking through cupboards and finding a package of sugared dates (for baking?) and eating most of the package. I just have a 100 memories of sneaking around, stealing food.

Free bowls of candy in class would not have been doing me any favors. Of course, why punish all kids because there are a few like me that couldn't keep my hands out of sweet things? Still, I think kids are exposed to way too much junk already, I don't understand adding more junk, especially at school.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #9  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

We never had anything like that in my high school. On a very rare occasion a teacher might hand something out.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I would take away the candy jar entirely and have only the "diabetic" treats which are far healthier (mentally and physically) for everyone.

My biggest food issue (one for which I'm considering treatment) is responding to stress with food--i.e. exerting control where I can when I can't exert control over the other parts of my life. You aren't doing them any favors in trying to bandaid their stress with sugar. Just my .02
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote