Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/194/120

Height: 5"6'

Default How do you get past the plateau?

I can not seem to get passed the plateau. I have been at the same weight for about a week and not getting passed it. I have pretty much stayed on program. It is bringing me down and making me feel like why be on this if I can not lose the weight. I know it does not happen over night, but over a few nights would be nice. I have been on program for 68 days and have only lost 23 pounds. Any advise?
daj3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Can I have a bit more information? What program are you following?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #3  

I have been doing WW.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #4  

And exercise? walking?
Old 06-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #5  

I walk 10 hours a day at my job. When I get home I try and walk a bit more 2 or three times a week. I know that is not much, but that is about how much time I have.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:13 PM   #6  

Anything you do is wonderful! Remember that it's eat less and move more ... and that looks like what you're doing. So ... yer off to the races. Seriously you've had a terrific start.

In the latest book I'm reading (I love books about fitness) Tom Venuto talks about four things.
Eat less
Eat good food
Exercise like cardio ...
And weights.

If you keep those in mind, I'm sure you'll continue to do as fabulously as you've already done!
Old 06-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

23 lbs. in just over 2 months is great weight loss. It does take time for your internal organs to adjust to a smaller frame. A one week stall is not a plateau. A plateau lasts for more than a month. I know, I know, no weight loss for a week is frustrating and it happens to all of us. I have had 3 stalls that lasted a month during the 11 months that I have been losing weight. Each time the stall ended, I went back to losing 1 -2 lbs. a week. Be patient and don't give up. The weight will catch up.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #8  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

You are doing fantastic! 23 lbs. in a little over 2 months is very good progress. Your body is just taking a 'breather' to adjust. You'll start losing again soon if you stay on plan.

I have had several stalls lasting a couple of months and it has taken me two years to lose 36 lbs.! I've adjusted my thinking from wanting to lose a lot of weight quickly (which I've done in the past and then regained it all back just as quickly) to where I'm happy with 'slow but sure'. It may take me another two years to reach my goal, but I figure it's taken me many, many, years to put the weight on, so I need to be patient if I want it to stay off!

I hope you start losing again soon. Good luck
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #9  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

Wow 1 week isnt long at all for a plateau...although it can still be annoying. Also 23 pounds in 68 days is a very good job. Keep your chin up. Your doing great!
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 205.2/204.6/140

23 lbs in 68 days means you're losing an average of 2.5 lbs per week -- a very respectable loss. I know it doesn't feel like it's moving quickly, but please remember you didn't put the weight on overnight, and it won't go away overnight either. Just keep doing what you're doing, drink your water, get exercise in when you can (do you weight train at all?) and it'll come off.
Christine33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Gosh, it's taken me over 6 months to lose 26 pounds! I have had two really long plateaus--one at about 10 pounds loss and another just recently. I really watch my calories and kept away from the fat this week and was rewarded with a 3 pound loss (I actually expect to gain a pound back--we're going out for a very nice dinner tonight!).
I read (I think it was mel's) goal thread and heard about the 14 super foods. I decided to do this myself (I was already eating most of these foods, but will incorporate more of them). I think that change is what spurred my body to get off the plateau.
I agree--move it to lose it! If the moving isn't working, cut the calories a tad for a couple of days and see what happens.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #12  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by daj3333
I can not seem to get passed the plateau. I have been at the same weight for about a week and not getting passed it.
It's not considered a true plateau until you're at the same weight for three weeks or more.

You didn't gain it in a week, you won't lose it in a week.

Have patience
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:22 PM   #13  

Oh my gosh -- I remember "195". I was stuck there FOREVER. For like a month and a half!

But I'll tell ya what, 23 lbs. in 68 days....girl, you should be thanking your lucky stars.

Go measure yourself, you probably lost inches, just not pounds.

wow. 23 lbs in 68 days? amazing.
mudbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:24 PM   #14  
banned

try shaking things up a bit. or eat higher cals for a week thats what they tell ppl at curves when they plateau
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:22 PM   #15  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaphilip3
try shaking things up a bit. or eat higher cals for a week thats what they tell ppl at curves when they plateau
It's only been a week. Sometimes your body take 'a break' and slows down the weight loss for a while. This may possibly last another week as well. She's not plateauing yet.

Like others have mentioned, I've been stuck at the same weight for a couple of months or more.

These 'stalls' in weight loss are the primary reason people give up. Case/point, her comment here....

"It is bringing me down and making me feel like why be on this if I can not lose the weight."

Sometimes we expect to see the scale go down every week or even every few days. That's not gonna happen. You don't gain the weight in a week and you're not gonna lose it in a week, either. These stalls are a necessary process your body goes through to adapt to new calorie and activity levels. Your body knows what it's doing. So let it do what it needs to do.

Now, after a few weeks if you still haven't lost anything, 'shake it up' like others have suggested or maybe take a look at your calories. If you're not actually keeping track of what you're eating, it's possible you're taking in more calories than your body needs. But I'd give it a couple more weeks before even considering changing anything.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote