Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #1  
Loving me some me

S/C/G: 250/200/165

Height: 5'6"

Default My back aches...

I would like you ladies opinions please. My lower back aches almost constantly for some reason. It is hard for me to bend over and touch my toes without bending my knees. I work out about 4-5 times a week (including using 10lb weights) for app. 1 hour at a time. I make sure to do lower back exercises and I used to do them with no problems, in fact when I hurt my back a few years ago, I used these same exercises to make it better. I have not injured myself recently in any way.

Now I am a host greeter for a ballpark and the majority of what I do is repeatedly walking up and down the stairs and standing around on the hard concrete for 5-6 hours at a time. What I would like to know is, do you think my standing on that concrete could be aiding in my back aching? I don't remember my back hurting before starting work. Shouldn't me working my lower back eliminate some of the pain and discomfort? Any advice or opinions would be most appreciated.
Anin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:51 AM   #2  

Are you working your abs, too? Oftentimes back pain can be traced to weak abs. Also, are you keeping up with your stretching? There is the possibility that your hamstrings (back of the thigh) are tight, which will pull the whole posterior chain out of alignment. Both of these issues can be aggravated by standing for lengths of time, but thankfully they're easily addressed.
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:14 AM   #3  
Play that funky music!

S/C/G: 290ish/266/250

Height: 5'4"

My mom always said that a full shift on a concrete floor was bad for the legs and back. That could be "old-wives tale" material though. She also told me that drinking milk with fish was poisonous!

Whether that's true or not, it could also be your body adjusting to the new way your body is moving for 6 hours a day. You might try doing some back stretches in addition to the working out, though.

Good luck!

-Lala
dalai_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:07 AM   #4  
Loving me some me

I'm sorry dalai lala, that "drinking milk with fish" just gave me a fit of giggles but maybe she could have something with the concrete. But I work out my abs each and every time I work out and I KNOW my abs could stand too be stronger. I also do 10 minutes of all-over stretching before and after the workout...maybe this isn't enough?
Old 05-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #5  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Hey, just a thought, Have you looked into orthotics?? it may just be you need proper inserts to align everytthing...?
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #6  

Anin,
I have been in your situation at one point and believe it or not, even though I am heavier now than I was back then, my back is not doing too bad. I had to come up with my own “treatment” though and do some experimenting to figure out what works.
First – I bought a bunch of those “Dr. Shulls” inserts and not the flimsy $5 kinds, but the heavy-duty $15-$20 kinds you find at Target or Rite-Aid. And I put those in to all of my shoes, I mean ALL including my house slippers (I had to buy men’s slippers with a small thing at the heel that makes then stay put.) Then I started taking joint supplements and the one that seems to work the best for me is the “Joint Juice”, but obviously you can pick and choose out of hundreds of supplements out there.
I hope this helps, but then again, if the problem persists, you might want to go see a doctor. Maybe there is a disk herniation or something like that, but I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it’s nothing that serious.
Good luck and take care of your self.

Last edited by NinaV; 05-29-2006 at 12:27 PM.
NinaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:41 AM   #7  
Loving me some me

Thank you all for your support and advice. It never crossed my mind that something may be physically wrong with my back at all. I was still under the immpression that I am still too heavy for my frame and my body was just protesting. Seeing my doctor is a good idea fitgal but before that, I may try your idea NinaV (By the way, I love your name. Mine is Nina also, I just like the way it looks and sounds backwards). Hopefully, that will relieve some of the discomfort so I can continue to exercise.