Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-15-2006, 10:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/180/130

Default How much weight...

Is it true that the average weight loss per week is only 2 lbs?!! Or, is there a good diet that will eleminate the fat faster, yet safe? I'm 182 lbs and 5'4" and struggling with my breathing when I lay down again. I had gone down to 174 but then I lost my job and, boom, on piled the weight in such a short time. I really need help!!

Is there a new goal group starting? I would love to join one. It seems that the companionship and common goal would be incredibly supportive.
Arenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:58 AM   #2  
South Beach Life Style

I am averaging about 3.5 at this time..And I have had my check up and all is well with me. I really dont know if there is a certain weight per week to lose healthy. I am doing everything I am supposed to be doing and getting these results.
MsCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #3  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

Of course only your doctor can tell you was is healthy for you, but I've always gone with 1% of body weight per week.

In reality, though, few people get a nice, even loss that can be tracked so smoothly. You'll probably find that some weeks you can lose quite a lot of weight and some weeks none, even though you are doing the same thing all of the time.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #4  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I would be thrilled to lose 2 lbs. a week! I usually lose half a pound per week (if I'm lucky). I've lost weight quickly before on low calorie diets and promptly gained it all back.

This time I'm going for slow but sure. If you "train" you body to survive on a very low calorie diet then your fat cells will just fill up again as soon as you eat "normally".

I know it's hard to be patient when you want to see quick results but I think slow but sure is the way to go if you really want to keep the pounds off for good. This is just my opinion, but it's what works for me.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:10 PM   #5  

Height: 5'3"

I can only wish I lost an average of 2 lbs a week! I average out to about 1/2 - 1 lb a week. At first it was frustrating but I have came to accept this is the way my body works. Losing slow and steady has been shown to keep the weight off.

Good luck!
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

For most people, a healthy range of weight loss is 1/2 to 2 pounds per week. For those who lose more than that per week-it is usually because it is in the first week or two of their plan-or because someone is starting out with a very large amount of weight to lose-and they will generally have quicker results AT FIRST. It WILL slow down.

So, someone who starts out at 300 pounds may lose 3-5 pounds a week at first, but then it will slow down after a few weeks. Someone who starts out at say, 160, may only lose 1/2 or so a week-because they are much smaller, and much closer already to their goal weight.

At your current weight, a healthy weight loss for you would be at the 2 pounds per week mark or lower.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/180/130

Thank you so much for your responses. Ahhh, discouragement, I know thee well. Sounds like I was being optomistic!! Okay, well, I guess the bikini won't come until next summer!! LOL
Arenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #8  
LLV

When I first started, I lost an average of 8-10 pounds per month. Then it slowed and during a good portion of my weight loss journey, I was losing about 1-2 pounds per week. Now I'm lucky to lose 1-2 pounds per month.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:46 PM   #9  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I have lost on average, a little over a pound a week. But I don't lose everyweek. In fact, for the first 5 weeks I was working on my new lifestyle I saw no change at all. Some weeks I might lose 2-3 pounds, others I lose nothing. I am starting to get used to it now, so don't panic if the scale doesn't change.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:31 PM   #10  

I would be happy with a good consistent 1.5 lb. a week. I will have a week once in a blue moon when I will lose 2 lbs, but most weeks I go nowhere. This on about 900 calories a day. It's getting tough to stick to it, believe me.
mudbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:37 PM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

For the first 6 months , I lost about 2lbs. a week. Now, I only lose 3-4 lbs. a month. Good luck on your journey and know that some weeks the weight loss will stall and other weeks you might lose more than or less than that 2 lbs.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:41 PM   #12  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbugs
I would be happy with a good consistent 1.5 lb. a week. I will have a week once in a blue moon when I will lose 2 lbs, but most weeks I go nowhere. This on about 900 calories a day. It's getting tough to stick to it, believe me.
900 calories a day isn't enough for you. Try upping the cals to 1200 and you should lose weight.
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #13  

I totally agree. 900 calories a day is starvation for someone 120 or 130 pounds, especially so in someone who weighs more than that!

I agree that you should be eating more along the lines of 1200-1400 a day-and upping the exercise to lose weight-NOT dropping the calories so low. Your body is now conserving every calorie you give it, because it knows it isn't getting enough to eat.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:51 AM   #14  

I think the main reason I can never stick with a diet is if I don't lose like 3-4 poubnds every week I feel like it's not working. :-(
geekess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:00 AM   #15  

The key is not to go on a diet. Do small things-such as fitting in more activity, and making better eating choices-and do it for life. A diet has a beginning and an end, and what is the point of losing 10 or 20 or 30 pounds, if you are just going to be back at that weight next year when you gain it back from "stopping" the diet?
Making lifestyle changes is the only way to go. It may be discouraging-but I would rather lose 1 pound a MONTH and keep it off for life, then to lose 5 in a week and have them back next month.