Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-09-2006, 11:16 PM   #1  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Red face Hi Everybody!

Hi Everybody!

I am taking Ellis advice and posting an intro. I like all the forums, but this one is probably the one I "hang out" in the most!

So here goes. My name is Sassy,I'm 31, married, I have PCOS and Type II Diabetes, I am on medication (Fortamet & Avandia) and diet and exercise for my Diabetes. Although I will admit I am struggling a lot with it because my husband is NOT a diabetic and has a sweet tooth. I know that isn't a very good excuse. But I'm being honest.

Also we work 3rd shift so it makes it difficult at times to eat healthy and exercise. We are currently looking into joining a 24 hr. fitness club that is across the st. from our work. We recently purchased a Food Saver (system that vaccuum seals your food) so we can portion out our food and keep it fresher longer. (sound like a commerical now don't I?) lol.

I have struggled all my life with my weight and this is the heaviest I have been. I am probably around 300 lbs or maybe even 310 by now. I wasn't weighed last time at the drs since I was VERY sick then. I will ask to be weighed at my next appt. (working with my dr to lose weight)

My weakest point is with our shift and all we don't cook a whole lot. So I'm looking for quick, easy, healthy meals that don't taste like cardboard to eat and take to work to eat. Also healthy snacks for work. I'm not much of a veggie or fruit eater either. My hubby loves fruit however. I am a fast food junkie.

I have found a new love. Fish. So I'm looking for healthy fish recipes. I had Salmon lastnight and it was great! I wanna try more fish cuz I know it's good for you (IF cooked right) and very lean!

What else? Ummmm. Also I was in a car accident like 10 yrs or so ago which caused a spinal injury and my back goes out once in a while from that and I also have arthritis from it. My dr. recommended me starting out walking back and forth in a pool so it's easier on my joints.

PM me if you'd like my email addy! Just please let me know your from here.

I think that is about it. Feel free to ask me any questions you want. I'm completely open.

I just recently changed my User ID from Fatt_Lady to Sassy_Chick and "came out of hiding". I feel much better about myself!

Thanks so much!

Sassy_Chick

Last edited by Sassy_Chick; 06-14-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:40 PM   #2  
No description available.

Hi Flady!! I am so impressed with the plans you have made and the choices you are making! It is hard working an odd schedule...but look at it this way--you will have the gym mostly to yourselves! It will be almost like a date!!

Great choices with fish. One way that is fun to cook it is to wrap it in parchment paper or foil with a little cooking spray and some veggies and either toss it in the oven or on the grill. I know you will find success with the choices you are making!

Best wishes!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:58 PM   #3  
~Believe~

Aw thanks!
I so want this weight off! I'm tired of "carrying" it around. It really does take a lot out of you and takes a toll on your body. I'm glad I went to my dr. I think he was very impressed too that I came to him. I wanted to do this the "right" way. Esp. since I'm a diabetic and all.
I so want to "experiment" more with fish. I was just so impressed with how good the Salmon tasted! I was like WOW! This is what I've been missing? WOW! lol.
Amazing what "little" things can do!
I figure baby steps. It took a long time to "gain" this weight and it's gonna take a while to lose it! (well at least healthy anyways)
Old 05-10-2006, 12:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'7

Hello Lady! I'm new here as well, love the place!

It's great to hear that you're doing this the right way. We can do alot of damage by not doing it the right way! Specially with your diabetes and stuff. Hopefully your hubby will prove to be supportive of your new eating ways, that's so important! I understand...I have a hubby that can eat anything and not gain an ounce, the butthead! LOL.

Have you thought of getting an elliptical machine? Or if not, the gym you were talking about probably has one. It's extremely low impact and you can get some great cardio on it! It's like a stair climber, but your feet never leave the pedals! I have a bad knee and I can tell the difference in regular walking and the elliptical! Might work out better for you than a treadmill, or lap walking or something. Mine tells calories burned and if that isn't a motivator I don't know what is...lol.

Good luck with your plan! Sounds like a great one! All of us can do this together!!!

Kim
OneKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:50 AM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Hi Lady, your enthusiam is infectious!

Quote:
I just know myself and if I said my real name and all, I'd be embarrassed and wouldn't be completely honest with what I eat and my weight. Does that make sense?
Makes perfect sense to me -- just call me Tyler
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:08 AM   #6  
Aleecia

Welcome TFL,

Great post. You sound very sincere. You will find a great deal of support and motivation here.
By all means we all know that it isn't easy but it sounds like you have a good plan to do things right.
I would experiment with different foods. I was like you, not a big veggie and fruit eater however I continue to try new foods and I also try to prepart them in different ways. I have found that I do like a lot more healthy things then I thought.
I know also working a screwing schedule doesn't help either. Have you considered doing you cooking on your day off and freezing the meals so that you know what you're going to eat all week.
Just a few suggestions.

I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey.

As for using your real name, I completly understand. Thank you for being so honest.

Leec
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:43 AM   #7  
Beth

S/C/G: 200/147/130

Welcom I have read your post about 3 times already. I understand about not wanting people to know who you are so you can be open and honest about yourself. Why is it that we are so affraid to talk about our weight?

I just got into a car accident last thrusday Still in a ton of pain and unable to go to the gym or even do much of anything. However when we went to the ER my husband was there and they asked how much I weighted. I lied, I lied to the medical person. I just do not want my DH to know how much I weighted. I was so upset. Why do we do this. My husband is a diabetic and so is my sister. The are both complete opposits in what they each can eat. ONe thing my sister can eat fine but my DH wll that will raise his levels thru the roof. All I can say is look at labels see if the sugar section is high or not. Fish is great but don't forget to watch how much protien you are taking in. You do not want to much becuase of your kidneys, but I think you already know that. I am a vegan so I can not help you on the different food to eat, but I can suggest this. Make your DH enjoy the same foods you have. It will be better for him in the long run too.

Take care and can't wait to hear from you more.
azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:53 PM   #8  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Congratulations on starting your new lifestyle. Good luck and well wishes. I understand having difficulty talking about your weight issues. I never admitted to no one (not even husband) what my starting weight was until I had got below 200 lbs. Then, I wasn't ashamed anymore, instead just proud of how much I had lost. With the diabetes, keep a close eye on your blood sugar and how your body is responding. I'd recommend journaling how you are feeling and what you are eating. Good luck and best wishes.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/275/170

Height: 5'10"

Hi There and Welcome!

Here is a recipe for salmon that I made for a special evening with my DH. We loved it and it was pretty simple to make. I'm sure you could find other fabulous recipes online like this one.

http://www.salmonoftheamericas.com/fav_tuscan.html
kristine724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #10  
~Believe~

Wanna say THANKS to EVERYBODY!
Kim - I will definately check out that machine when we join the gym. Low Impact definately is a good thing for me right now.
Thanks Tyler!
Leec- Yes that is why we bought the Food Saver. So we can prepare foods in advance and freeze them so we can take them to work. Sometimes its tough trying to get everything done on our days off. But we're tryin and yes I do want to try different foods and prepare them different ways. You never know until you try, right?
Azul - Yeah I know. Its like an epidemic. Even still on my Driver's License it still has me down as 180! LMAO! I haven't weighed that since HS! lol. It does seem very stupid doesn't it? But I think society has created this. With all the skinny minnie's on tv and what not. I don't lie to the medical field about my weight. My husband does know how much I weigh, he and my dr are about the only ones! lol. But I do understand. You know once I went to the ER and the nurse asked me what I weighed. I told her. She didn't beleive me so she made me parade out in the hall way in my lovely gown with everything hanging out (why oh why can't they give us gowns that fit?) and weighed me out in the hall because she didn't beleive me! When she weighed me it was exactly what I told her what it was!!!!!!! Unfreaking believable!
So trust me I do understand. I am glad you are okay after your accident and I totally understand about being sore!
Lilliebelle-thanks for the well wishes. I am watching my bs and so is my dr. I had to get a new glucometer and asked my dr about my medication because I wasn't happy with the one I was taking. He is adjusting my meds so it works better. I saw your pics, You look Great! Gives us all hope!
Kristine-Thanks so much for the recipe! It looks YUMMY! and we will definately have to try it out! THANKS!

*Flady*