Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-09-2006, 10:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/174/165

Default should i rejoin?

Hello ladies. I have been trying to lose this weight on my own and since about March I haven't lost any weight. I just lose a couple then the next week i'll be back where I started, due to being off plan. I've been thinking about rejoining ww because I think maybe the accountibility will keep me going. I have a rather ambitious goal to lose 30 pounds by July 4th. I really dont know what else to do. I am going on vacation to New Orleans and really want to look good, and wear skinner clothes because it will be hot. Do you think my goal is too ambitious or do you think it is possible? Help please.
mommyof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

If you like WW, then do it, it's a good program (which I've tried in the past).

As for the goal, I try not to set goals to lose weight by a certain date. It would depress and frustrate me if I didn't make it, especially as it is hard to control how fast the weight actually comes off.

Why not set a goal to do so much exercise, or eat better? Those are goals you can control. And yes, the weight will come off too, but you might do better if you don't make it the only goal...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:38 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn
As for the goal, I try not to set goals to lose weight by a certain date. It would depress and frustrate me if I didn't make it, especially as it is hard to control how fast the weight actually comes off.
I am the same way! I want to have goals that are up to ME as to whether or not I make them and that I have control over. I too would be discouraged if I didn't make them... but by setting goals I have a choice over, if I really work hard and get off my butt, I can make them.

I agree it is good to set goals about eating and exercise. If we do those the weight will come off eventually, although not as fast as we would like LOL.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

I rejoined WW in January. It may seem silly, but the cheesy meeting and clapping really help. That and having to weigh in on a scale where someone else is writing down the numbers makes me stay motivated.

As for goals. I am not the greatest person to respond, considering I have never actually reached my goal weight, and I have gained and lost 50-80 lbs 3 times since 1993. Here, however, is my 2 cents.

In the past when I counted calories and lost weight or joined WW and lost weight, my goal was always to lose X number of lbs by such and such date for ________ event or party. I would get to goal - or near, and then slowly, but surely the weight would creep back up.

This time dieting feels really different. My goal is to do WW for the rest of my life. I am not worried about the weight. No matter what I do, my body will never look like it did when I was 17 and althletic, with perky breasts. I am losing a weight on a 35 year old bod that has been 100 lbs overweight and spent 3 years nursing. But by making my goal a lifelong goal I feel that this time I am doing it for real and forever.

This is not to say, I don't do short term goals to motivate me and keep me on track. I do that all the time. I have lots of little goals like
1) go to the gym every time DH has a day off
2) never exceed 29 point during a given day this week
3) drink 3 bottles of water tomorrow
4) be under 180 lbs by Memorial Day weekend

The little goals help me along the way, but the commitment is for life.
morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:10 AM   #5  

I would be bold and say you won't lose 30lbs by July 4th. 9 weeks or so means a weight loss of 3lbs a week plus a bit more, and I just can't see that as being possible.

However, no one is going to weigh you on holiday With a good diet and exercise regime I bet you can *look* like someone who has lost 30lbs!!!! For example, this year I have been exercising and eating healthily, and have lost 4lbs (having lost 60lbs last year) however, in the last 6 months I've dropped from a size 18 (US14) to a 16 (US12) and have had countless comments about how well I am doing this year Which is cool, sometimes the scales don't really reflect what we are doing to help our bodies.

For me, going it alone is fine, I use support here, and at my gym, and I find systems like weight watchers not very good for me, because I get caught up in comparisons, competitiveness, and basically not feeling good enough. It doesn't happen to me with online support, because we are so honest here.......and there are so many of us with different experiences.

But the whole thing with weight loss is you gotta find what works for you, if that is weight watchers, go for it!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I think 30 pounds in less than 2 months is a little much, unless you are starting out very large (over 250) where your initial weight losses will me larger the first few weeks.

I agree that it is good to set a goal (I want to look better July 4th, or I want to lose 30 pounds total) but you don't want to really put a date on it-especially since your goal is close to 3 pounds a week-and a healthy rate of weight loss is 1/2 to 2 pounds per week. (And the 2 pounds per week usually is only the first couple of weeks for most people...)

I say that if you are serious about losing weight PERMANENTLY, and not just for the holiday...then start working on your eating and exercise right now. In a healthy way, you could lose anywhere from 7-8 pounds by then...or even 20 by then. Would you feel and look better 10, 15, or 20 pounds thinner? I bet you would. Success does not have to mean a certain number by a certain date.

When you put a date with the weight goal...you are going to feel as if you have "failed" if you have not achieved that goal by your set date-but is losing 10 or 15 pounds failing? Definitely not.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote