Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #1  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/248/170

Height: 5'5"

Default Diet and bad skin?

Okay so it's been about 3 week from when I started up on my diet and workouts again. And in the past 5 days I've noticed that my skin is starting to break out pretty badly. I haven't changed anything other than my diet and working out. Could it be linked to it?

Has anyone else had this problem?
I'm still using the same soaps and make-up and lotions that I've always used. I had near perfect skin at the start of last month and now I look like I did when I was 15 lol.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #2  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

That seems really weird... when I started eating better, I had WAY less breakouts (not that I had many to begin with) than I did before. My skin is softer, smoother and less dry. Not sure what to tell you.
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Have you been washing your face IMMEDIATELY after working out? This was a big problem I had - let me tell you, if I didn't wash right afterward, I knew it. Try washing your face first thing after you finish your workout, and wash it thoroughly, then moisturize.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Wash any makup off your face before working out. Any makeup mixed with sweat could be blocking your pores. Also, wash good after your work out.

They say that things you eat shouldnt make you break out, but the extra sweat and oil on your skin will.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

I find after my work out my face gets VERY VERY itchy, I have to wash it!
Old 05-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #6  
my baby with bubbles

S/C/G: 180/152/140

I have had the same problems since I started my diet, well kinda, my zits started looking like boils and now this last week and a half my face is soooooo dry. I have had problems with dandruff. I asked my Dr. about the boils and the dandruff and she said maybe it is my bodies way of reacting to all the water I am now drinking. and that it should get better. well the boils did go away and the dandruff is not so bad, but the dry skin has got to go!

She told me to just be patient, it will take my body some getting used to. I have to admit I went from a junk food junky to a health nut over night.
40poundsago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:07 PM   #7  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/248/170

Height: 5'5"

I shower right after working out. I think the showering might be drying my skin out. It always feels kinda tight after showering. So I'll try a good moisturizer to see if that helps.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #8  
I restore Teeth.

usually when you switch to a healthier diet, a nicer complexion takes on. I don't know why, but that works me me!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:36 PM   #9  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

My skin has also been looking better in general lately, but I still get a couple of those pesky blemishes just about every month. As far as the dryness, are you using a deodorant soap, or a really foamy bodywash? They often make my skin feel tight and itchy. If you’re showering more often now the cleanser you’re using may be drying your skin out more than it used to. I use a regular Dove bar for my skin, it doesn’t do very well with anything else.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 150/133/124

Height: 5'3"

you are probably breaking out from sweating during your workout. try washing your face before you go. if you have oily skin like me, i don`t even moisturize, trust me, the sweat is oily enough! then bring something to wash your face with immediately after you finish working out. those moist wipes they have would be good, just to get the sweat off. then, when you get home, try your normal washing/showering routine. also, a good product to try and get rid of those zits is tea tree oil. you can buy it at a health food store. i get mine from trader joes. it works like a charm and its completely natural so it won`t irritate your skin more. it gets rid of a lot of the red ness also.

i noticed that when i quit drinking soda that my break outs diminished a lot. i have been really struggling with my skin since i stopped my brith control about 7 months ago. it was terrible. my breakouts were so bad. but i began to be very diligent about keeping my face clean and using tea tree oil and then when i quit sodas my skin cleared up a huge amount. i still get breakouts around my period, but compared to what it was before, i`ll take it.

meagan
meeegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:55 PM   #11  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Sometimes if you use deodorant body wash on your face it can dry your skin out and tighten your pores so that the impurities are trapped in. There are so many chemicals in commercial soap and a lot of these can be absorbed into your skin.

Try using only a very gentle soap on your face like pure glycerin soap. It will leave your skin feeling soft, not tight.

I used to make a lot of soap and sell it at craft shows & farmers markets (don't have time any more). If you're feeling adventurous you can easily make your own soap with vegetable glycerin soap base you can buy from craft stores (about $9 for 2 lbs. - makes 8 4oz bars). You just melt it in the microwave and pour it in a soap mold (also from craft store for a couple of bucks) and cool in the fridge for a couple of hours. You can use it as-is or add some pure essential oils such as jojoba, almond oil or avocado oil, which are great for most people's skin types. You can also add pure scented oils like lavender, etc. At least you'll know what's in your soap!

Last edited by penpal; 05-09-2006 at 08:22 PM.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:58 PM   #12  
Starting Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpal
I used to make a lot of soap and sell it at craft shows & farmers markets (don't have time any more). If you're feeling adventurous you can easily make your own soap with vegetable glycerin soap base you can buy from craft stores (about $9 for 2 lbs. - makes 8 4oz bars). You just melt it in the microwave and pour it in a soap mold (also from craft store for a couple of bucks) and cool in the fridge for a couple of hours. You can use it as-is or add some pure essential oils such as jojoba, almond oil or avocado oil, which are great for most people's skin types. You can also add pure scent oils like lavender, etc. At least you'll know what's in your soap!
I want to make my own soap!!!!

And yah, I use bodywash one with extra mostiure but I only use it once and a while. I usually use the dove soap, it is a pink bar (http://www.dove.us/your_skin/nutrium_bar.asp) - it is awesome! Doesn't make me feel dry at all - I was using zest and it was SOOO bad. I too have oily skin - my boyfriend (he had REALLY REALLY bad acne, he is actually just finishing up his treatmeant of acutane) and I have switched to neutrogena OIL FREE cream they have one for combination skin and one for sensitive skim (http://www.neutrogena.ca/en/product_details.asp?id=57). My face still gets a shine to it but it hasn't been breaking out like it was with the other cream (that had oil). Another thing I LOVE is the Biore face wash that leaves your face feeling soo nice (http://www.biore.com/usa/products/pr...sp?productId=2) and the cleaning wipes are a MUST have (http://www.biore.com/usa/products/pr...sp?productId=7)

I use all that stuff everyday. It adds up cost wise but has been worth it for me. I buy from costco where I get the stuff in packages a lot cheaper because I used so much of it.

Anyway, hope that helps!

Last edited by sotypical; 05-09-2006 at 08:07 PM.