Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #1  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Default Camping

Anyone have any advice on how to stay on track while camping? I had a **** of a time this weekend. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good either. I need to practice this new way of camping. It's always about good food, good conversation and good adult beverages. Help!!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:51 PM   #2  
Enjoy the day!

I would think a camping trip would be an exception to a diet.. to an extent. I mean obviously you aren't going to stuff yourself with all the bad stuff. But if it were me I would allow myself a little of this and a little of that. And then make sure to get in a nice nature walk or a walk along the beach if there is one. I wouldn't stress over it though, you should just enjoy the time and not worry a ton about what you eat.. as long as you are burning it off and throwing in some good stuff in between
Brendalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:57 PM   #3  
28 Yr old Vixen to be...

S/C/G: 480/480/380

Height: 5'5"

exactly! vacations happen what?? maybe once or twice a year??? my exceptions to diet are holidays, thanksgiving, anniversary etc... and vacations....

as long as you are not overdoing it you will be ok, vacations are and indulgence and you should enjoy it thoroughly but in moderation, just like everything else worth doing in life!
Safiyah_is_Fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Well, I have to disagree if it is something that happens frequently. The last few years we had a camper set up on a permanent lot at a campground where other friends and family also stayed, and we were there about 2-3 weekends a month from spring until fall.

If you go primitive camping maybe once or twice a summer-I wouldn't worry so much, but if it is a frequent thing-the key is to enjoy a little of this or that but camping things that are low calorie. Rather than having a Bud Light or Miller Lite in a bottle for around 120-140 calories a bottle, a Michelob Ultra is only 90. There are a few other drink options out there as well-There are lower calorie/lower carb wine coolers, I belive Mike's Hard Lemonade also has a light version as well-and of course, only have one or two in the evening to save calories.
Camping treats around the fire can still be had-a S'more has a lot more calories than just 1-2 toasted marshmallows-so if those are being made, you can partake in a marshmallow or two and enjoy them without feeling like you didn't indulge in something. There are also light hot dogs that can be cooked over the fire or grill, and they have less calories than the regulars. Once they are cooked and have ketchup or something on them-nobody can tell the difference.
Picnics and meals during the day are perfect times to eat naturally healthy summery foods. I usually always take cut up watermelon or cantalaupe or salad to a summer camping weekend or picnic.
Also-if you are camping-take advantage or walking around outside, swimming if it is available, and getting some exercise in that way.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:19 PM   #5  
I restore Teeth.

there's this super awesome bread that they make at campfires, you can have some of it and not feel terribly guilty because its low fat (I forgot the name of this bread!) and since you'll be hiking almost constantly, it shouldnt be a problem! (stay away from the hot dogs and get plenty of water)
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:19 PM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

We often camp during spring, and fall months. I treat it like any other day as far as my eating is concerned. Grilled steak, pork, chicken, burgers or any other meat is great. Always have a large fresh salad. Zucchini , corn on the cob, and other fresh veggies are great on the grill too. Fresh cantalopes, watermelon and strawberries are great for dessert. It can be done but is easiest with a camper instead of tent camping.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #7  

We camp and wakeboard all summer. I try to do the same thing as lilybelle. For dinner, some kind of meat and grilled veggies. I think this year we are trying salmon. I also bring lots of fruit and try not to make eating a sport up there....But, since we are wakeboarding, I do allow myself some bad stuff, just because I know I am burning it off. Also, the more water I drink, the less hungry I am...If there is anyone on here in the Bay Area who wants to wakeboard....let me know!
Infrogwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:37 PM   #8  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

We camp the majority of the summer. I plan on treating the days like any other days only we are outside lots more (I say I plan to as last year I ate whatever I wanted when I wanted - no more of that let me tell you! I was like the smore queen only with reeces cups instead of a hershey bar). I plan on nature walks & peaceful bike rides. I am with Lilybelle - you can still grill your meats, have lots of fruits, salads - besides EVERYTHING tastes better outside
Cafe Ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #9  
Working on Hot!

S/C/G: 242/225/175

I am going camping in June and I am planing what to take with me. I plan on doing alot of walking....and drinking alot of water...
la3y_un1c0rn_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #10  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm not one of those who supports "cheat" times or "off" times. I know it happens, but I think if I got in the mentality of a cheat day I'd eat enough to turn it into a disaster, that's just me though.

I have noticed, in trying to rethink the way I look at food, that a lot of things are different. Why do you want to go camping? Sure, in your mind you are thinking, well I get to see so-and-so and have a good time, but somewhere inside too is the enjoyment that food and alcohol will bring. I think as long as you are aware of that, and aware of the fact that camping is an "excuse" to eat poorly it will be easier for you to think that there will be sooo many opportunities in the future to eat poorly and try to focus primarily on the people aspect of it. You don't need to go overboard just because you're trying to enjoy yourself. Just make sure to bring plenty of veggies, salads, water, etc and don't do seconds on the bad food. When you feel yourself wanting to get seconds, start up a good conversation instead.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Wrap veggies, garlic, and a few squirts of olive oil in aluminium foil and cook over fire.

Bring very large bag of veggies too break out when everyone else breaks out chips.

We take a 10 day trip with all of our college friends each summer. I specifically asked last year that when we shop for our trip (as a group) that we stop buying chips, pop, costco muffins, etc.... And do you know what happened? We got complimented by everyone on the trip (over 20 people).. They all thought it was a great idea, which is getting repeated this summer.
morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote