Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-03-2006, 11:13 AM   #1  

Exclamation Exasperated.. please help!?!

Hi,

I'm new here, first post. I have a question which led me here and I hope that I will be able to get some help.

Nine days ago I started exercising every day with a pilates stretch band, using my Tony Little Gazelle, and also walking as much as I'm able on top of both of those. My eating has not been perfect, however, it's been considerably better than it was. I also only drink water, diet soda, and green tea. I am on Prozac for depression and it actually helps kill off my apetite, so that's good.

Now, my problem is this, I started 9 days ago at 300 pounds even. Now I'm up to 305?!?!?!? What gives?!?!?! I just don't understand??

I realize that I may have gained a small amount of muscle, but not 5 pounds worth. I had my monthly cycle and that's just ending, so I should weigh LESS not MORE than when it started. I'm all confused and upset and ready to give up. Can anyone explain what's going on and tell me why I'm gaining when I'm actually doing the right thing finally?!?! Help, please.

El

Last edited by Elektralite; 04-03-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Elektralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #2  
Working on Hot!

S/C/G: 242/225/175

Give yourself time. Watch your salt intake. Drink lots of water. And most of all KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. You just started. Its not going to fall off all in one day. Do you have a plan? Do you have fitday? If not www.fitday.com

Take you time...You got this!!!!
la3y_un1c0rn_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:24 AM   #3  

Hi,

Thank you for the support. I don't do salt, have high blood pressure. I know it won't fall off in a day, it will probably take me a good year or more.. I just don't understand why I'm gaining

El
Old 04-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #4  
Working on Hot!

Just keep going... You cant stop now...You would miss all the fun of shopping for new stuff....lol
Old 04-03-2006, 11:32 AM   #5  

Oh lordy lol.. I've been buying smaller sizes for the longest time and putting them away for when I get there.. even a vintage fox coat - and I'm just FINALLY getting on the bandwagon. I think my DH will kill me if I buy anymore clothes *laugh*.

El
Old 04-03-2006, 11:32 AM   #6  
Dream Big

S/C/G: 233.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2

The same thing happened to me and from what I understand there are others here who've had the same problem. The way it was explained to me was that you body has to adjust to losing the water through exercise, esp if you're not used to it also your body is adjusting to a new routine so it will hold onto the fluid you put into it ( kind of as a back up reserve) until it gets used to the fact that this is not necessary because you are replenishing it regularly then you will start to see the weight and water weight loss. Hope that helps.
timmyshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:35 AM   #7  
Working on Hot!

Tell him its for a good cause....YOU!
Old 04-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #8  

Hi Heather,

Thank you for the insight. Maybe that is what's going on then.. hopefully it will clear up soon because it's seriously killing my motivation

and lol la3y_un1c0rn_37.. I can tell him anything, but it doesn't change the fact that I already have TOO many clothes *giggle*.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:54 AM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Are you weighing at the same time on the same scale under the same conditions (same clothes, empty stomach, etc.)? Also, man home scales are only accurate up to 250 or 275 pounds, so make sure the one you have will work with your weight (I had to buy a new one when I started out at 310.5), and then check it for accuracy! Weigh something that you are SURE of the weight of (like a new bag of sugar or flour or something) to be sure it is correct.

Now, after all that, please do not get discouraged. Your body may be retaining some water even if you're not eating excess sodium because when you work muscles during exercise, they then retain more water while they heal. 5 pounds of water may sound like a lot, but on someone who weighs 300 to begin with, it is a small percentage. And also, of course, do watch your sodium intake, as this can cause water retention.

In any case, the scale is not your friend Try fining other means of measuring success, such as setting water consumption or exercise goals or taking measurments of your body. Because of crazy daily fluctuations, maybe the day you weighed initially was abnormally low for you (empty stomach, dehydration, lack of exercise, etc.) whereas now it's more accurate. I have seen my weight change on an accurate scale by as much as 4-5 pounds in a SINGLE DAY So whatever you do, keep up the great work, and prove to your scale that you don't care what it says because you KNOW you're doing the right things
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #10  
Working on Hot!

You may want to look at two threads I am on:
Lose by July 4
Plan for a nearly perfect day

I like them and I only take it one day at a time that has really help me!
Old 04-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Losing weight takes time. Lots and lots of time. 9 days is just a beginning. You sound like you are making positive, healthy changes in your life stick to them.

Try not to focus on the scale too much. Make goals YOU can do:

1. Try a new healthy recipe every week.
2. Go to bed on time at least 3 nights a week.
3. Drink plenty of water.
4. Exercise at least 3 days a week.
5. Eat enough calories that your body doesn't feel like it's starving. Consult the Mayo clinic calories for how many calories you should consume for your height/weight/age/gender/activity level and then make modest reduction. (3500 calories to lose 1 lb = reduce caloric intake by 500 calorie a day for 7 days). Smaller calorie deficit = big win. Eating fewer calories a day will not necessarily help you lose weight faster!! Letting go of that false interpretation of calories in vs. calories out really enabled my long term weight loss success.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cal...ulator/NU00598

Plan for long-term, healthy success, not short term weight loss.

Read this link!

http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspart...metabolism.htm

As a rule, a calorie surplus is required to build muscle mass. It must come from somewhere - fat does not "turn into" muscle.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #12  

Hey, wow.. thanks everyone! You really cheered me up and I needed that today. Also, I used that mayo clinic calculator and apparently I need less calories than what I was led to believe by another calc. Bummer - so, at least now I know maybe part of the problem.

El
Old 04-03-2006, 06:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

WELCOME!! You're getting the exercise thing down and that's GREAT!!

BTW, how much have you been eating each day?
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:54 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Elektralite,

The key for me in your first post was, "My eating has not been perfect." Usually that means deviation from a program. Combine that with a food calculator that gives you too high a number, and there you go! So, find a food program and stick with it, and keep on going! You're doing just fine.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #15  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyshawn
The way it was explained to me was that you body has to adjust to losing the water through exercise, esp if you're not used to it also your body is adjusting to a new routine so it will hold onto the fluid you put into it ( kind of as a back up reserve) until it gets used to the fact that this is not necessary because you are replenishing it regularly then you will start to see the weight and water weight loss. Hope that helps.
Yes, I've heard that this happens quite often.. especially when someone who normally doesn't drink a lot of water begins to exercise. Your body is not used to being hydrated so it clings to the water.. Obviously it needs time to realize that you will keep drinking so it doesn't have to hoard a reserve..

Keep exercising.. keep drinking (water .. keep posting.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote