Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-25-2006, 12:52 PM   #1  
Gonna win the battle!!

S/C/G: 226/213/130

Unhappy What is going on here? HELP.......

I have been on this eating healthy and going to curves new lifestyle now since march 1st. The 1st week I lost like 2 pds and the 2nd week 3 pds. And than nothing. I had gotten down to 219 than back to 223 and now back and fourth between 222 and 220. I know our bodys fluctuate, But This has been going on now for almost 2 weeks. I really thought I would lose more weight than this @ first. I know 5 pds is good, I know a real platoue(sp) has to last a month, But this is getting frusterating. I know our bodys slow down @ some point but I thought it wouldnt be for a couple of months. I feel like I have hit a brick wall. I do curves 3 xs a week. I was doing dance dance revolution but it was too high impact and it always made my knee hurt so I quit doing that, but this started before I quit that. I count calories, Its hard but I have stayed on track. I have not cheated with pop or sweets. I have been working my butt off. I use nutridiary to know how many calories to stay @. It is always between 1400 and 1900 depending on my excerise days. I am starting another gym soon and upping my curves days to 4 days a week. But what would make me slow down like this if I have been doing so good. I can't say that I have been perfect, But I eat way better than I use too and I have not cheated with bad foods just portion control on the good ones. But I still stay real close to my calorie allowance. Except for last night We went to this kareioki(sp) bar and I had one beer I didnt even finish it, the bad part is when I got home, I dont know what got into me but I had a whole can tomato soup made with milk, 2 packets of crackers and a pudding cup. I am going to pay for that on the scale. And before bed too, BIG NO NO! I swear I have not done anything like that before. But todays a new day I dont even feel like I have lost 5 pds. My clothes dont fit looser, nothing. After a month I should see or feel something. It has almost been a month. I am staying on track no matter what!! I just need to find out what I am doing wrong and fix it. I need to be more stricked about my portions! and up my excercise I think. I dont know, I better see some results soon or I may be forced to do something drastic like throw the scale in the river. or beat it with a sledge hammer. Well its not the scales fault, its mine, maybe I should kick myself in the a$$. I know I will be after last night.

Has anyone eles hit what I like to call the mini platue so soon, and what did you do to get past it? Am I doing something wrong or is this just how it goes, snail slow? I new it would go slow but man this is crazy. Do I just have too high expectations, Or should I be doing better? Ok enough boo hooing for now. Thanks everyone.
ladybugfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #2  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Whoa whoa whoa!!! You're starting to freak yourself out, sweetie! Step back for a moment and take a nice, deep breath! Ahhhhhhh .

Ok, there could be a lot of things going on. First off, if you've been doing this just about a month, TOM could be approaching, which wreaks havoc with even the most diligent of ladies. (Grrrr TOM). Secondly, have you taken a look at your sodium counts? Sodium can cause you to retain water, which can wreak havoc with scale readings.

A can of tomato soup (or any soup, for that matter), crackers, pudding... IIRC, those are all fairly high sodium items. If those are typical examples of the kinds of things you eat, sodium may be part of the problem.

5 pounds in a month is great! Probably not what you were hoping for (heck, I'm sure we all wish it was 5 pounds a week, I know I do!), but 5 down is darn sure better than 5 up, right?

As far as the clothes fitting looser, I'm down 19 and just now beginning to feel the clothes getting a *little* looser (definitely not falling down by any stretch of the imagination). It's different for everyone. Every body releases pounds in different ways. Some people drop a size or 2 with 20 pounds. Some, like me, and apparently like you, may have to wait a little longer.

Don't give up, sweetie. Hang in there, stay true to your program, do what you can and I'm sure it'll start working for you.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:48 PM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugfun
I dont even feel like I have lost 5 pds. My clothes dont fit looser, nothing. After a month I should see or feel something.
Not necessarily. I started out at about the same weight as you and I didn't notice a difference until I was down about 35-40 pounds.

Relax, you're doing great so far. You've only been at it 4 weeks. Yes, I know we'd all like to lose the weight quickly and see a difference right away, but in someone (like you and me) who's pretty heavy to begin with, it will be a while before you really start noticing a difference. But don't let that discourage you. Keep going, you're doing well. And don't push yourself too hard. You didn't gain all that weight in a month and you won't lose it in a month, either.

I've lost over 80 pounds. I started June the 18th of 2004 and hit 140 this past February. So it's taken me 20 months (4 months short of 2 years) to do it. But ya know what? It went fast. So keep up what you're doing and you'll lose the weight. Your body stalls itself for a reason. It's trying to get used to new calorie levels and activity levels. Give it time to adjust
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:40 PM   #4  
Counting down the pounds

S/C/G: 265/230 (RNY)/147/130

oooo Great advice from the ladies up above who are commenting! I know that it's tough to do such hard work and not see few if any results - I had gastric bypass and it's still hard - and I work my butt off but I cheer each .2 lbs lost! It takes time for your body to realize what you are doing to it, then once it does - watch out! It's mind over body - it's a fight, but a fight you and your mind can win. Just try to make sure you keep great track of what you are eating, get enough proteins by using fitday.com or some other program where you can monitor your foods. I honestly think that using fitday has helped me start losing again after I started to gain weight. You may want to try to lift just a bit of weights as well - muscles burn more calories than fat does. I've found that by lifting 3 times a week just for a bit, that it seems as if my weightloss is picking up some speed (and I like the new look of my biceps!).

Good luck!
chaoskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:52 PM   #5  

LOL-No, i am not laughing at you. I just think I have found my twin, that's all.
I've been crying the blues in another thread about how EVERYBODY else is losing like six lbs. a week and I am losing nothing. So, I am here to read everybody's encouraging words, too. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU, ladybugfan. I am in the same boat.
mudbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: ?/250/160

Height: 5'6"

Same thing happened to me, Angela -- and it has happened the last few times I've tried losing weight. I blame it on my age (46 next month). The difference is this time I'm determined not to throw in the towel. I haven't seen much (or any!) action on the scale the past 2 weeks or more, even after increasing my exercising (I just started making changes in my way of eating & exercising on Feb. 18th).

Yesterday I decided to cut out wheat and fruits, and really increased the amount of veggies I'm eating. (I guess it's pretty close to South Beach Phase 1, except on my plan I'm allowed 2 hershey's kisses a day !) Anyway, I woke up 2.5# lighter this morning; we'll see if the losing streak keeps up. I'm very much into experimenting to find what works, and willing to change if something stops working for me. The most important thing, which you already seem to be doing, is sticking with it, even with a few "off" days. I feel like my battle is with my head, not the scale.

You know, I've lost just over 10# but haven't seen that much of a difference in my clothing yet, either. But I can tell that my face looks thinner, and I believe my shoes seem bigger -- I think I must've been holding a lot of fluid in my feet! So even if no one else notices, I can tell something's going on...

Good luck, and I hope your frustration ends soon!

(another) Denise
dustdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:15 AM   #7  
Gonna win the battle!!

S/C/G: 226/213/130

Oh thank you everyone for all the support. I needed it! I am feeling a little better today. I have still not seen a drop on the scale but I joined the new gym today and had a great work out.
TOM is not due till next week so the scale should be going up soon instead of staying the same, but that I can handle, I know whats causing that. I hope to see A huge loss after she's gone
I am staying with this no matter what! In a few days it will be time to get weighed and measured @ curves, I cant wait to see the results. I hope I can lose a couple more pds before then.
I have cut sodium out of my diet BUT it hides in all kinds of places. I am trying to elimanate those foods too. Its hard because its in EVERYTHING!There is salt in frozen veggies too, not much. We need some salt but the amounts they put in stuff is rediculous(sp). I am sticking to my frozen veggies because they are better than canned. I drink ALOT of water which I hope helps with the retaining water thing that sodium causes. I dont normally eat so badly, These past few days I have been a little off track with my choices and amounts. But Im back on track.

Thanks!!
ladybugfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:44 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there! Just a thought--I was eating around 1500 cals a day and losing no weight at all. I have to drop it to 1200 to lose. That's awfully tight, but it can be done. I have to be careful that it's well balanced food, too. I go to Curves 3 times a week also, and on the other days I walk a couple of miles. That's not a lot of exercise by some standards, but it's all I can manage the time for.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote