Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-23-2006, 12:33 PM   #1  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Default Protein Shakes

I seem to be having a hard time getting the weight off (like I mentioned before). I have started eating more and trying to add some more protein (boiled egg with breakfast, tuna on my salad at lunch, etc). Of course I don’t expect to see results in just two days of trying this. But I was wondering if protein shakes would help? Even if I just had one every two days or something. Do you think that would help get the weight off?
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:42 PM   #2  

Protein is great, it helps repair muscles and it's one of the essential elements of our diets, it also has a saiety effect, making us feel more full and satisfied. However protein won't magically get rid of weight. Only consuming less calories than you use will do that.

I recently started having protein shakes following weight training sessions to aid muscle repair, but nothing magical has happened with the weight.

They're convenient, and good if you find it hard to get enough protein through more conventional sources, but they're not magic, and some people don't like the taste. I only like them with milk and fruit, so it means I have to save some of my calorie allowance for those extras, which can be a pain.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:45 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

In no way did I mean for it to be magical. But I am eating 1200-1500 cal a day and so far that isn’t working. I started walking more - during my lunch time at work. I will just been patient. I just heard somewhere that the protein shakes help – just wanted a second opinion. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #4  

Hey you might not want a magic protein shake but I sure do

Your specific question was "will they help get the weight off" so that's why I added the magic bit.

There's all sorts of theories about protein and I know a lot of people here follow the 40% of calories from carbs and 30% each from fat and protein ratio.

The plan I was given from my trainer was 60% from carbs, 30% from fat and 10% from protein.

I lost weight doing that, I've lost weight doing it the 40/30/30.....at the end of the day, it's just a matter of finding out what your body needs to do to lose weight. Thats the fun/frustrating bit!
Old 03-23-2006, 01:19 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

I have done it before... maybe not always healthy. I did weight watchers and lost 12 pounds the first two weeks (gained that back tho) - but I can’t stand counting the points. I’m eating pretty much the same now anyway and exercising way more and it is just not working - maybe my body doesn't like exercise! haha kidding
Old 03-23-2006, 01:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

hey sotypical, just hang in there. it takes a while to see any difference in our bodies. if you are working out with weights, a protein shake may not be a bad idea. or if you're walking alot and your legs feel sore, maybe you could use a protein shake for repairing your muscles and getting more protein into your diet. I don't drink them, but i may look into it soon. i find it soooo hard to get enough protein into my diet some days. but i am losing weight, so i guess that's all that really matters. true, i may be really only losing half a pound a week, but it is still coming off. they do say slowly off keeps the weight off, so here's to permanent weight loss!! anyways, i believe in the old less calories in, more calories burned to make a deficiant. I haven't got this weight loss thing figured out yet, but I will continue to pluck along, because 20 pounds down tells me I can take off another 20 pounds. It may take me four more months to get down another 20, but at least i know in 4 months, i will be down more than I am now!!

So just keep your head held high, and keep looking to the prize. and if you have a bad day, don't let it stop your effort. just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and try again the next day. If you quit, you will never know how far you could have made it.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:49 PM   #7  
goy

just curious how much weight you have to lose? if that is you in the avitar you dont look like you have to lose any weight, so maybe if you are not too over weight that is hwy it is slow....

also maybe you are not eating enough calories...... i know i followed ww for a long time, and lost, but i am now doing clean eating, and that is just eating great healthy food, but lots of it, like 10-12x your weight to figure out calories you should be eating..... and i have lost 20+ lbs in 2 months
goy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:05 PM   #8  
Julia Havey

I drink Protein shakes every morning for breakfast.
JuliaHavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:46 PM   #9  
Starting Fresh

As for my avatar... yes that is me. And I know, I look fine - but I have it all figured out how to take pictures so I do not look over weight. I believe I carry my weight well but I am 5'2/5'3ish and I weight 210. I started at 215 - I have lost 5 pounds.

As for giving it – I am not going to give up this time; I do not care how long it takes – I want it gone… all of it! I do not lift weight, just walk/run/jog. Maybe I’ll skip the protein shakes for now and just try and eat more things like tuna and cottage cheese.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:08 PM   #10  
DIVA

You may have mentioned this but do you eat/drink alot of sugar. Cutting out Hawaiian Punch and Lemonade without changing my eating habits helped me lose about 7 pounds. Also, drinking water with every meal to help flush the sodium is good as well. I know that I am very carb sensitive and if I eat too many carbs I blow up so I watching my carbs and adding protein into every meal and snack if possible.

Have you noticed inches melting away? The number on the scale is not the only factor.

Good Luck!
Curves4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #11  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Another good shake you can buy in Wal-mart is the AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes--100 calories and 15 g protein!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:12 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 6"

Sorry for the laziness, but I'm about to head to the gym. SOOO... I'm going to copy and paste my response from another thread and modify it a bit.

You should definitely try a protein powder, if you're finding it hard to squeeze in more of it naturally. I know it's hard for me to eat 12 egg whites, haha. I use Isopure low carb after weight lifting on gym days, it has 50g of protein per serving. Due to the high price of the Isopure ($40 for 21 servings), I also use another somewhat more reasonably priced one from Wal-mart on non weight lifting days. (It's called Six Star, and it actually pretty good, taste wise and price. Adds 20 grams of protein in one scoop, the container is about $15 and has a high amt of servings per container) I'll link to the Isopure and Six Star below:

Isopure

Six Star

Also, something that I have found to be one of my best purchases is a "personal blender"... it is a single serving mini blender, that you can detach the cup from the base and drink your smoothie. Super easy, fast, less mess (having the wash the big blender, cups used) and clean up is just a drop of dish washing liquid and some water, blend for 15 seconds and rinse! This is the one I bought, also from Walmart for $13.99, I think:

Hamilton Beach Personal Blender

I just toss from yogurt, no sugar added apple sauce, and frozen fruit in with the powder, and blend. Another thing I like to do to thin out a smoothie is to add some Diet V8 Fruit Medley... also, you can get Mott's flavored apple sauce (pineapple, berry medley, peach) that has no sugar added and is already measured out. Great way to add a twist and change the flavors up a bit.

Good luck!

Renee

p.s. Your hair is gorgeous...
broke away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #13  
Starting Fresh

No - I do not eat a lot of sugar. Maybe one packet every other day in a coffee. That's it. Everything else is in foods (and I stay away from sweet stuff... most of the time! haha) - I do drink diet pop - I try for only one can a day, but sometimes it is two. I drink at least 3 liters of water a day - throughout the whole day. I am watching my carbs - eating waaaay less then I used to.

And no... no inches gone I feel fatter then ever, lol.

Renee - you have the same birthday as me!!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 07:19 AM   #14  

I don't, but have you tried using Fitday and logging your calories. You might be going over somewhere along the line and not burning enough off.

I eat between 1400 - 1600 calories a day and exercise a lot (an hour and a half cardio most days) and do yoga, pilates and weight training as well, and lose about 1 - 2 pounds a week.

I have to fight for every pound. Some people are just like that, others can just whizz the weight off others have to really slog at it.

Or log your food intake for a few days here. With weight loss it can be the littlest changes that make the difference.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #15  

Default Optimal?

has any one her tried Optimal shakes. i drink two meal replacemet drinks a day and one meal a day and was just wondering if and how much someone has lost using this program?
toofatforu is offline   Reply With Quote