Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-24-2005, 01:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Default Hurricanes suck!!!

Besides the obvious reasons like damage and loss of life, hurricanes suck because they leave you hunkered down in the house with nothing to do but eat and watch the news...lol. I just know I've gained 5 pounds in 3 days. The stress of waiting to see what's going to happen has just made me a nervous wreck, and when I'm stressed, I eat!!! I ate 8 oreo cookies, 5 little snack bags of Doritos, and 8 chocolate chip cookies yesterday!!! Not to mention that popsicles, ice cream, and other frozen food we ate while we were waiting for the power to go out. Of course, we had to save it to keep it from going bad...lol.

Fortunately, we have no damage. There was a bunch of strong winds, and still is, but our power was only out for a few hours. The only damage we have is the holes all over the house from hammering up plywood and the damage to our health by eating all this junk.

I'm not really complaining. Trust me, I know we are fortunate!!! I am breathing a huge sigh of relief right now, and sort of complaining about this tongue in cheek. I know things could be so much worse, and I just thank God we are all ok. I will make sure to burn off all these extra calories by volunteering to help those who are worse off than me. My heart is with those who didn't fare so well with Rita, and I'm still thinking of all those poor people from Katrina, especially the ones who fled to Houston only to be forced to flee to somewhere else. I volunteered at the convention center here in Houston, and I will never forget the exhausted, desperate looks on the faces of those people the first day they arrived. It saddens me to think that they are facing more stress and another move. It makes me feel stupid to complain about my weight!!!

Those of you trying to lose weight and in hurricane prone areas, what do you usually do with all the junk food and canned goods you accrued before the storm? We got enough cookies, chips, chilli, Gatorade, etc. to last us 2 or 3 weeks just in case...lol. Now I'm debating whether to give it away, save it in case of future storms, or go ahead and eat it (cuz you know how fat people hate to waste food!!! lol).

I hope all of you in Texas and Louisiana are safe. If there is anyone in this area who needs assistance in any way, whether it be a place to stay, food, or just someone to talk to, please let me know.

Last edited by TatianaHdz; 09-24-2005 at 01:58 PM.
TatianaHdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 05:17 PM   #2  

Tatiana.. glad you rode it out safe.. My sister lives between Beaumont and Lake Charles.. took them 2 days to evacuate 4 hours to Ok. She really thinks she is going to have nothing to come home to. They live in a Mobile home.. Lots of folks displaced right now.. Now for those goodies.. pack um up and take them to the nearest sheltor!!
: )
dona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:17 PM   #3  

Great idea, dona! I will pray for your sister. My best friend's family is from Vidor, and they are all waiting to see what has happened to their homes and businesses as well. Some scary stuff. Her grandmother was actually in a mobile home that got torn in half!!! They were drilling holes in the floor to keep all the water draining. I am seeing some sad stories on the news right now and have heard sad thing from friends and family, so now I feel REALLY stupid for complaining about my weight...lol. When I posted the above, I hadn't watched the news or talked to anyone, so I didn't even realize.

Oh, and the evacuations! AWFUL!!! My mother-in-law evacuated from the Clear Lake area and decided to go to Fort Polk, LA, where my brother-in-law is stationed in the Army. At the time, we thought Rita was headed for Houston and Louisiana would be spared. Well, a drive that would normally take her 3 to 4 hours took 24 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!! She nearly ran out of gas twice.

There were also people stranded at Wal-Mart and grocery store parking lots two blocks from our house, because we're right off I-10. It was a mess. People just sitting out in the sun looking desperate. Some people stayed there over night. Fortunately, when my husband and I went back to check on them and see if anyone needed to stay at our house to ride out the storm, most of the people were gone, and the people who were left said they had people coming to pick them up. Cars were abandoned there, but the people were gone, so I am assuming they were offered shelters in peoples' homes. Very heartwarming how disasters and tragedies bring out the best in people.

Ok, I've blabbed enough. Let us know how your sister's home fared. Just remember that homes can be replaced, but lives can not, so thank God that she is ok. I hope she has insurance. I know my best friend's family member do not, so I am very worried for them.

Oh no. I just reread your post about her living in a mobile home. Yikes!!! I was thinking her home should be ok, but then I noticed that. How scary. Please let us know what happens. And if she needs anything, I would be more than happy to help with food, shelter, or whatever. I am about an hour and a half away, so I'm not sure if anyone would want to stay somewhere this far, but just in case, I thought I'd offer.

Ok, so ignore my original post. I don't care about the weight gain! I'm now just worried about people's lives and homes.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:20 PM   #4  

YIKES!!! 2 days to get to Oklahoma????????????? Oh my gosh! What a NIGHTMARE!!! I'm glad she made it there safely though.

Sorry I didn't notice that before. I don't know what is wrong with me today. My mind is just a million places all at once...lol.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:37 PM   #5  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

It's the OREO's talking...sorry (I couldn't resist).

But seriously, I hope everyone is ok....I think it was really neat of you to offer your home to needy strangers. I feel pretty lucky over here in earthquake land - at least we don't stress waiting for it to happen because no one can predict one.

Count your blessings everyone!!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:07 AM   #6  

The time to plan strategy beside eating is before the stress hits. make a list. Have alternative things to do. I went through Hurricane Isabell with the flood waters rising to my door by quilting and knitting as well as having a stack of books to read. I certainly limited by eating since I didn't know when I'd be able to get food again. And we don't have junk food in our house.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote