Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-18-2005, 08:03 AM   #1  
Puggy Balboa

Unhappy My Father Passed

I visited here, made plans, my father was hospitalized, then passed on September 12th.

My father and I are genetically so alike that it's scary. We both are physically strong and solid. Throughout his life, even while being overweight, his cholesterol was non-existent (like mine), as was his blood sugar.

Four years ago he had a heart attack, which was compromised by diabetes. Everything changed for him. He became almost bedridden, in fact.

I want to change my life. Even though at a larger size, I can do so much, I don't want to spend the last few years of my life without a voice, without movement, or hope.

I am getting my house in order today, purchasing his headstone tomorrow, but on Tuesday, I hope to find a few niches here to really help me find my footing.
Looking4TheWayOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

(((((Looking4TheWayOut))))) I am so sorry for your loss

~Liz
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:16 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Emma, hugs and kisses to you !!!
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad's struggles and his passing.
But I am very proud of you for making the decision to get healthy.

We're here for you.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:50 AM   #4  
Puggy Balboa

Thank you two. I'm normally not this flaky, but I know it's understood. After Monday, after I pick out and pay for the headstone, I'm just going to dig in like never before.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:13 PM   #5  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

Ahh Emma Im so sorry for your loss.
Trying to make it thru this time and still trying to get yourself in order to you are trully a strong woman and you can do it.
One day at a time and a new step learned along your new journey to a more healthy you. << Huggs>>> girlfriend you are wonderful.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #6  

I'm truly sorry for your lost.

I know from personal experience that fear of diabetes can be a great motivator for losing weight. My father has it also, and has gone blind from it. And since he and I are the only fat people in our family, I figured I just inherated his body genes. But despite what some people seem to believe, it *is* possible to triumph over one's genes.

I hope we'll see more of you around here as you start your new healtier way of life.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:14 AM   #7  

Height: 5'1"

I'm so sorry to hear about your fathers death.

I know genetics play a big part in the way we look, but those genes aren't everything. Everyone in my family is fat, except me. You can over come most of the problems that come with being over weight. Diabetes, heart problems, high cholesterol. A lot of a family's weight problems come, not with genetics, but with the way they eat. I know mine does.

You can do it. You will get lots of support here.

Hugs to you
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:33 PM   #8  
Puggy Balboa

Thanks, everyone. It has been a whirlwind since I last posted this, but this Tuesday I re-commited to good health and am feeling MUCH better emotionally AND physically!
Old 09-29-2005, 03:42 PM   #9  

Emma, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of you father. It is obvious that you were very close.
What a wonderful compliment to him - that thru him you are changing your life in a loving healthy way. It something you will thank him for daily. You sound very motivated - good luck and hugs.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:55 PM   #10  
Puggy Balboa

Star, thank you. I'm trying. I just can't believe how when I exercise and eat better, I feel better. I mean, I KNOW this, but until I do it, I just don't believe it.

It'll take time, but I am stuck on doing better!
Old 09-29-2005, 05:12 PM   #11  
Hot Momma Material

I lost my Daddy 2 years ago to a massive heart attack, he was only 55. I decided at that point to get my butt in gear and lose the weight. In between I had a baby, but I'm back on that road now. I am so sorry for your loss. I know how difficult it is. I'm sending you HUGS!
Tatteredhydrangea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:07 AM   #12  
Puggy Balboa

Tattered, thank you. I am surprised by how many women have lost their fathers so young to health issues. Sometimes you feel alone until you reach out.

I appreciate being here and all of you.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:46 PM   #13  

I am so sorry about your father-- I lost my father when he was 56 and I was 25-- and it is a void that you can never fill-- you just learn to live one day at a time--

my thoughts are with you and your family
BJLewis is offline   Reply With Quote