Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-16-2005, 08:43 PM   #1  
Jump

Default HELP!! I want to give up...ALREADY!!

This is my first "official" day & already I am ready to give it up. First- I have this awful headache from taking myself off of sweetened tea. (I like splenda-just need to go get some & loose the habit of making tea with sugar) Finally went & got a glass of tea & am nursing while I am on line!! Second - My 11 year old wanted pizza for dinner (a long time Friday night tradition for he & I)..so I had 2 slices. Normally, I would have had 3, at least!! Third - I was STARVED all day. Normally I would eat 3 large meals a day...I am trying to be good...but I can't think at work if I am hungry!!

I just hate this...I have no clue how to do this!! Anyone else every feel this way or is it just me. Any tips from anyone who figured it out!! HELP!!

jumpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:54 PM   #2  

Jump,
What else did you eat today? You only mentioned the pizza (which wasn't bad)...

First suggestion I have is to stop stressing -- sometimes it's easier to make small changes over time than to think, "Okay, it's diet time!" and try to make all your habits change all at once. Personally, I think trying to change everything too drastically would set myself up for failure, and put way too much stress on a process that I'm going to be maintaining for the rest of my life. You may or may not agree with me on that.

If you do though, consider making 2 or 3 changes a week for the next few weeks. You mentioned that you took yourself off of sweetened tea -- that's one change for the better! Maybe try incorporating a walk every day, or changing just your lunch from whatever you normally have to something healthier. Or maybe swapping snacks -- if you're used to munching throughout the day ( I know I am!), find some healthy snacks like fruits, vegetables, or if you're really craving something sweet, maybe something like the 100-calories packs that Nabisco put out (I recommend Chips Ahoy -- like little chocolate chip cookies, only the bag is 100 calories so you're not feeling too guilty by indulging).

I've also heard that drinking a big glass of water right before eating a meal helps to cut your appetite -- it fills some of your stomach so that you feel full faster when you're eating. And eat SLOW. The faster you eat, the more you eat after you're full -- it takes a few minutes for the brain to register when the stomach is comfortably full, and many of us have a habit of not giving ourselves the time to register that -- we just eat until we're over-full and then feel bloated and bleh.

It might take you longer to lose weight by easing into it gradually, but you're making changes that will last a lifetime. It also gives you time to read and learn about different tips and techniques for getting healthier, losing weight, cooking better foods, etc.

I hope some of that helped!
Ry73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:05 PM   #3  
Jump

Default You're right!!

Thanks...I know you are right...I am trying to change everything (too much)in one day!

I also ate a Nature Valley honey & Oat Granola bar, a Peanut Butter Granola bar & a special K bar...a fruit cup of diced pears...and a low fat turkey sandwich on white with cheese & sweet & spicy mustard. Usually I eat fast food 1-2 meals a day . The granola bars were supposed to subtitue the fast food...but they did not fill me up like I had planned. Drank lots of water today too!

Old 09-16-2005, 11:13 PM   #4  
playin' for keeps

Holy cow, I'd be starving too if that was all I ate. It sounds to me like you need a little more food in your food. Maybe add a green salad to your turkey sandwich, or some yogurt or maybe eggs for breakfast? A little protein will go a long way toward filling you up.

Great job on the water - I still struggle with that one. I do think that Ry's right about pacing yourself. Trying to change everything at once is overwhelming and icky. I'd set a few small goals for this week (something like...eat 2 kinds of veggies every day and take 3 walks). See how that goes, and then make other changes as you feel comfortable.

The good news is that this really is a downward spiral. The better you treat your body, the better you will feel, and the more changes you'll WANT to make. The pounds will come off more slowly this way, but they'll be more likely to stay gone. At least for me, it's a trade-off I can live with.

Hang in there, and keep coming 'round here. Everyone is super nice and supportive. It's much easier when you've got a little support!

cheers!
paula
cagirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:57 PM   #5  
Determined

Good job for sticking with it anyway! I agree that you need to eat more food. Also maybe just one energy bar and the rest regular food, maybe throw in some fruit and nuts? Those first few days are really hard. So much of the bad eating has become habit that it's weird to change, but you can do it. Good luck girl!
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 12:23 AM   #6  

Here's what I learned. 1. The first few weeks are the hardest, it will only get easier. 2. The headaches and yucky feelings will go away, just think of it as the fat fighting for it's life! 3. FEED YOURSELF BEFORE THE KIDS! If I don't eat before my son eats, I'll eat what he's eating and it's usually not what I need to be eating! 4. You can do this, go through and find some good user sites that inspire you and bookmark them. I visit other people's sites almost daily to see how they're doing and get inspiration. Here, start with mine! If I can do this, anyone can!
txaopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpd
I also ate a Nature Valley honey & Oat Granola bar, a Peanut Butter Granola bar & a special K bar...a fruit cup of diced pears...and a low fat turkey sandwich on white with cheese & sweet & spicy mustard.
I don't think that you need to eat "more" food (as in more calories per day) but you need to definitely make better food choices.

You had three granola/K bars, 2 slices of pizza, and a sandwich. Where are the dairy, fruits, and vegetables? You need to balance your diet out-because you are eating mostly carbohydrates, and not enough protein and the other food groups.

If I eat mostly carbohydrates I am starving TOO. I am not saying to low carb diet-because I am not low carb-but you need to eat more than the bread/starch group.

A slice of pizza now and then is just fine if you keep track of your calories-but instead of your normal 3 slices, or even your two slices today-how about one slice and a large salad on the side?

Tha sandwich is an okay choice, but instead of the three granola bars, how about doing some replacements here. If the granola bars average out at 100 calories a piece totalling 300 calories for example, you could have 3 eggs and 2 cups of strawberries and would have been MUCH more satisfied.

You need protein (meat/eggs/soy) and fruits and vegetables in your diet, because the protein and fiber are what help keep you feeling fuller. Eating starches with no fruits, veggies, or protein would lead me to a huge binge at the end of the day.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 11:20 AM   #8  
Always drink your water..

S/C/G: 215/198.5/119

Height: 5'1"

First of all, Jump, well done for taking the first step - it's the most important step of all, and though it's hard, it'll lead to so many benefits in the long run.

I have to agree with most of what's already been written here - you need to supplement or substitute some of your carbs for some protein, because protein keeps you fuller for longer and will stop the cravings and hunger pangs that go hand in hand with a carb-rich diet.

If you're pushed for time you could try grilling up a batch of low-sodium bacon (it's great cold), and boiling a half dozen eggs, keeping them in little plastic bags in the fridge so that you can grab a bag and eat on the run. Nuts are good sources of protein, too, though you have to be careful with your portion sizes, and so is canned tuna and cottage cheese.

I tend to have around 4oz of a good quality protein for my main meal with a huge side salad or portion of veggies, and usually skip the carbs completely (potatoes, pasta, rice, bread) as I find the carbs just lead to me picking after dinner. If I do choose carbs, I eat the more complex varieties - wholewheat bread and pasta, brown rice - these keep me fuller longer.

Dessert is usually fresh fruit and a low-fat yoghurt.

Then when I'm unwinding at the end of the day I'll maybe have 25g of cashews or a baggie of frozen grapes, and a tall glass of iced-water with some fresh fruit slices in the glass (in a nice crystal glass, so that I can con myself I'm drinking something really special).

The first couple of days are always the worst, but YOU CAN DO THIS! The cravings will start to diminish and you'll find ways of adding variety to your diet - and soon you'll be on your way and the buzz will take over and you won't even WANT to stop!

All the best, Janey
Dippy Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 01:03 PM   #9  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Planning ahead so that you have the right kinds of food in the house for yourself is also key....go get some splenda so you can enjoy your tea.

If you have good choices in the fridge you will at least have a third choice besides a bad food choice and going without...

Keep up the good work - just that you are consciously making choices is half the battle...it does get easier!!!!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 01:06 PM   #10  

When I first started eating more healthily, I deliberately ate 5 or 6 small meals in a day, in order to keep from getting too hungry in between larger meals. I tried to get some protein and some carbs, and either a fruit or veggie in each mini-meal. It worked pretty well in helping me get used to smaller portion sizes, and I've shifted back to a three meals and one snack schedule.

Some smaller-sized meals I used:

a cup of (nonfat sugarfree) yogurt, a piece of fruit, and a half cup of shredded wheat - about 250-300 calories

a small can of tuna (3 ounces), 2 WASA light rye crispbreads, a large coffee with a lot of nonfat milk, a piece of fruit - about 250 calories

a cup of veggies (I used frozen veggie mixes), an egg, and an ounce of shredded cheese - mix up and microwave, it makes a great omelet - about 250 calories

an ounce of cheddar cheese, sliced, 15 Kashi "Tasty Little Crackers", and 8 baby carrots - about 300 calories

a cup of non-fat cottage cheese, mixed with a cup of mixed veggies, and a slice of whole-grain toast - about 300 calories.
oliviacw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 01:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/235/TBD

Height: 5'4

Don't forget that just because you are on a diet dosen't mean that you have to give up ever being satisfied by food. I am like you in that I can't function if I am hungry, period. So when I am hungry, I eat, and I want it to taste good. I eat ALL THE TIME. I snack on bell pepper at work, but the evenings are what really gets me -I am a boredom eater- so I always have things on hand like tomato soup (60 cal per cup), my homemade pumpkin pudding (110 cal per serving and very easy to make) or yogurt with fruit. I am not a big salad eater but I also found that I like romaine lettuce with strawberries, a few nuts and a tablespoon of lite honey dijon dressing. All these taste good to me, fill me up and don't ruin my calorie count.
ElisabethCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:59 PM   #12  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I have a boatload of Splenda if you want it, but might I suggest checking out the local health food store for Stevia? I've switched to it, it's all natural and better for you...and no calories. As for the headache, try weaning. Rather than jumping whole hog into this, take baby steps. Cut down the tea. If you have 3 or 4 glasses a day, cut that in half, then further in half. If you're having headaches, it's likely due to the sugar you completely cut out all at once, and they will get better with time. But using Splenda isn't going to make them stop. Splenda isn't the same as sugar. So while the tea will taste sweet again, you'll still be getting the headaches due to cutting out the sugar suddenly and completely. If you can get through them though, they will ease up then go away. It's like giving up a caffein addiction. Which is also why I say to wean yourself from the tea and move into water. Dropping tea altogether might also make the headaches worse because of the sudden drop in caffein as well as sugar. Try switching to flavored waters in place of half of your daily tea intake, then to pure water eventually.

And Aphil's right. Dump the white bread for whole grain and cut out some of those breads. Nothing wrong with pizza, in moderation of course. Next time though, try ordering a salad to go with yours. Eat that first, then you'll have less pizza and will get your veggies too. Try ditching the fruit cup for whole fruit as well, and get rid of those bars, but perhaps just one a day. Try some veggies, string cheese, yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, fruit, a spoon of peanut butter...along those lines...in place of the granola bars. Better yet, read the label on those things. It might make you think twice. They're not as good as they appear to be sometimes. Loaded in sugars and carbs, and sometimes saturated fats. They just hype them up so you'll buy them.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisabethCK
Don't forget that just because you are on a diet dosen't mean that you have to give up ever being satisfied by food.
I agree totally - I love food too much to ever deprive myself. I also HATE the feeling of being hungry, makes it hard to concentrate at work.

I eat 6-7 small meals a day, something every 2 hours or so. I'm a huge fan of unprocessed, whole foods (plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables) so that's what I concentrate on eating.

Now that I don't eat sugary treats very often, I am amazed by how good "regular" food can taste. A really ripe mango is more decadent than fudge (to me).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:08 PM   #14  
Jump

Thank you all so much for your tips!! I do agree...a drastic change in behavior is not the way to handle this. I especially liked the tip about drinking the water out of a crustal glass...especially since I am a fanatic about fancy plates, cups, silverware, placesettings (well, you get the idea!)!! Everyone here is a huge inspiratrion!! I'm gonna need all the inspiration & support I can get. Especially since everyone around me has these great metabolisms....especially my Mom (60 years old & still a size 8!!) and ets everything in sight-including sodas, my sister-in-law owns her own diner...yet still stays thin, my best friend is a good 7-8 inches taller...so her extra weight is distrbuted out much nicer, and my other good friend gains in her boobs...we should all be so lucky!!!!

I also had a long talk with my son (he's 11 & has always been a little chunky)yesterday on the way to the grocery store...I explained to him that we both need to make some behavior changes in the way we eat. He actually agreed that he could probably stand to loose a few lbs his self!!
Old 09-18-2005, 07:22 PM   #15  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Default Yay for protein!

I agree 100% with everyone else who said you need more protein. It keeps you satisfied WAY longer than carbs or fats (I think the latest statistic I read said for 3 hours or so, but someone please correct me if that's wrong).

Also -- and I think most importantly -- protein is what feeds your muscles, and one "risk" everyone runs while on a weight loss plan is the possibility of losing muscle mass. Which is bad for several reasons:

1. Every pound of muscle you have burns something like 50 calories a day just by EXISTING, whereas fat just sort of sits around and "does nothing" in comparison. So for every pound of muscle you lose, there are 350 calories a week that you don't burn anymore. And unless my math is completely wrong (which is possible), that can result in a 5-pound gain in one year (it takes an extra 3500 calories to gain a pound). This is why most people tend to gain 5 - 10 pounds a year once they hit late middle-age: the older we get, the more muscle we lose.

2. Now lets say a person DOES lose lots of muscle on a weight-loss plan. If that person runs into trouble with their plan and regains the weight, only the FAT will come back...not the muscle. Example: If a person started at 189 lbs, lost 50 lbs without feeding or working her muscles, and then regained back to 189 lbs, she would actually be a "fatter" 189 lbs because fat takes up a lot more space than muscle. I stole this pic from another post (I hope that's okay?!):

3. Picture in your head a celebrity you want to look like. Is she just "thin?" Or does she have defined shoulders, tight calves, and fantastic abs? If she has a "nice bod" versus just being "thin," it's the MUSCLE that gives her that look. You could be "thin" and look like Olive Oyl, or you could be "fit" and look like Jennifer Lopez.

4. In addition to getting your protein, I also -- obviously -- highly recommend weight training. I won't get into it too much here as there is an entire forum on it, but let me tell you a quick story. Back in 1995, I lost about 20 lbs, which brought me to 150 lbs -- which is basically where I am now (again). But back then, I got to 150 lbs by cutting back pretty harshly on calories and doing only cardio -- I paid no attention whatsoever to protein intake or working my muscles through weight training. HERE'S THE KICKER: When I was 150 lbs in 1995, I was a size 12. Today, at 149 lbs, I'm a SIZE 8. And...ah...the last time I checked ONE POUND does not equal 2 dress sizes!!! It's because this time, I BUILT muscle, so I'm a fit 150 -- whereas in 1995 I had LOST muscle and was a flabby (and therefore bigger) 150.

So my point is that your goal (and my goal) should be to lose FAT, not muscle! And you need protein to do that.

Phew. {{{wipes brow, stretches fingers, and reaches for protein shake}}}

Okay, done . Sorry I got kind of carried away and slightly off-topic, but I'm (OBVIOUSLY) a big fan of protein .

BY THE WAY (not done, I guess ) congratulations on just STARTING!!!! That is a huge thing!!! And everyone goes through ups and downs -- especially (IMO) at the start. I mean you didn't just wake up one morning knowing how to drive a car, right? No, you had to stall out in traffic, smash into a few curbs, and hit the brake instead of the gas a few times before you "got it," right? You'll hear/see alot of people around 3FC call it "a journey"...because there's a lot of new and interesting things to learn about nutrition, exercise, and (most importantly) yourself. And the odds are that when you made the (hypothetical) mistake of hitting the brake instead of the gas when you were learning to drive, you learned not to do it again (hopefully ). Same thing with weight loss. Make a mistake, learn from it, and move on .

Last edited by LovesBassets; 09-18-2005 at 08:08 PM.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote