Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-04-2005, 06:12 PM   #1  

Question 23 lbs to lose

With 23 lbs to lose. I was wondering how long will it take to lose this weight? I'm 5'4" about medium frame. I exercise everyday: I walk 3 miles a day and also do Tae bo. My calorie intake is about 1400. I also breastfeed so I can't go any lower. I was thinking 5 months. Should I add more to my routine? I've been working out for almost 3 weeks now. should I start increasing so not to hit a plateau?
Rakkoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

It really depends on your body. Your body may also not want to go as low as 120, and as long as you're a toned, healthy 135 lbs. (if you're under 25 years old; 140 lbs. if you're over 25), that's what counts.

IMHO, you should add some weight training 2-3 days a week (resting at least a day in between each session). While you may see an initial weight gain from muscles retaining water, that will pass. Please remember to eat enough to sustain your exercise. Eating too little can decrease or stop your weight loss, and you could be losing muscle. Your calorie intake given that you're exercising a lot (assuming you're walking briskly and doing Tae Bo energetically each day) and breastfeeding seems on the low side to me. Have you spoken with your doctor about your calorie intake and nutrition?

Good luck!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 07:13 PM   #3  

I haven't spoken to a doctor yet. We just switched insurances. I have to make a general appt soon, just to get things roleing with a new doctor. I am 30 y/o, and I was at 120 before I gained all the weight. It takes me an hour to walk the 3 miles, I try to walk as fast as I can mainly b/c I want to get back home before my son (12 month old) starts to fuss lol
I have 8 lbs weights, would that be good enough? Should I wait to do weight training until I lose all the weight?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Nope, don't wait--do it now. You'll be building muscle underneath fat, and, for me personally, I've found it helped with keeping me firm as I lost weight. I don't have a lot of extra skin like some people who've lost significant amounts of weight.

You know, your body often changes after you have a baby so even though you may have been 120 lbs. prior to baby, you may not be able to get that low. Hopefully you can, but just keep that in mind and don't get disillusioned. Plus, just ask the Ladies Who Lift--140 lbs. of toned body weight can look a lot better than 120 lbs. of untoned body weight. Many people are the "flabby thin." I started wearing a size 12 when I weighed 190 (I'm 5'9"), which I attribute to weight training. Mrs. Jim weighs, I believe, between 145-149 pounds, is a size 4/6, and I think is your height.

Start out lifting what you can and then work up from there. This is a great site for exercises and information:

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights_index_revision.html
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:12 PM   #5  

I do have a 15 y/o after I had her I went back to 120, I had to lose only 15 lbs at the time. The only difference between now and then is that I'm actually exercising. This is why I was wondering if you think I will be able to lose this weight in 5 months?