Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

View Poll Results: What do you enter in FitDay.com's Activities Page?
Nothing, I only use it for food 10 25.64%
EVERYTHING I do. (Work, workout, shopping, minor cleaning, computer time, etc) 4 10.26%
Just my workout 12 30.77%
My workout and occasionally something else 13 33.33%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2005, 10:51 AM   #1  
I CAN do this!

Default FitDay Question

I've recently (a week ago tomorrow) started using fitday.com and I absolutely adore it! But I've got kind of a funny question!

Do you use the activities section of fitday? And if you do, do you enter EVERYTHING? (i.e. work, small house cleaning, shopping, etc?)
LegallyBrunette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 11:48 AM   #2  

When I started using Fitday I entered my workouts. I soon stopped, though, because I think their calculations on calories burned is WAY WAY off. For example, it always said that my 1 hour of yoga (which they call yoga/stretching) burned MORE calories than if I walked for an hour at a fairly brisk pace, and that's obviously not true.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 01:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

I enter my workouts only, because the program asks you to enter your average activity level and I assumed that basic activity level included the every-day activities like cleaning house. If I have a day where I spend an unsual amount of time doing something that I don't do every day (for example, if I take my kids to the zoo and spend 3-4 hours pushing the double stroller) then I'll enter that also even if it's not a real workout. I do adjust what I put into fitday to match the calories that I burn during a workout according to the machine I use. They are usually pretty close, but I have to adjust fitday by about 10 minutes most of the time (down - it says I've burned more than I think I actually have).
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 02:50 PM   #4  

I use it to log my food and workouts but not day to day tasks like shopping, cleaning, etc. Like funniegirl, though, I find the calories burned calculators are way off. So, I log my workouts just for the sake of tracking what exercise I did and for how long I did them.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:31 PM   #5  
I CAN do this!

Does anyone know of a good calorie burning formula/calculator??
LegallyBrunette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 09:20 PM   #6  

LB, If you can afford it I would get a heart rate monitor that also calculates calories burned. I have a Mio Petite Strapless . It calculates based on your weight and your heart rate. That is the most accurate way I know to measure the actual calories you have burned. You may be able to find one cheap on ebay.

I started out trying to enter everything in Fitday. It was too hard. Now I just enter my workouts and adjust the times until they match what my heart rate monitor shows I burned.
sherpamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 11:50 PM   #7  
Empress/Queen

I use Fitday PC and I do enter all my workouts as well as daily activities that are above and beyond the basic "sitting and standing" I do on my job.

I find the software's calculations of my calories burned through exercise as well as BMR to be extremely accurate.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 08:46 AM   #8  
LOSING TO LIVE LONGER!

I enter all of my food and all of my workouts. I also enter any activity that breaks a sweat, i.e. mowing the lawn, mopping, gardening, washing the car but that is about it.

Kim
KIMMIFIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

The activity sections are highly inaccurate....overestimate calories burned. It is a great tool for food logs.
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:30 PM   #10  
undeniably moby

I agree with the inaccuracies and inconsistencies of fitday. For exercise, some activities are way off and others seem spot on. Tae bo, for example, is right on the money if you enter it as kickboxing. When I was going to the gym, though, the actual treadmill said I burned way more calories than fitday. I'll side with the treadmill in that case.

Also, I've never tried putting all my activities in before. I'm always tempted to put in sex as an activity, if for no other reason than it cracks me up. Because I'm totally immature like that.
satylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:29 AM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

LOL I have SO entered sex in as an activity. After all, I only see my boyfriend for less than 3 days a week, so it's not an every-day activity. I was disappointed that it said I only burned like 9 calories in 20 minutes of "moderate" sex, though. I'm pretty sure it's more than that!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:00 PM   #12  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I enter both food and workouts. I would also enter in anything I did outside the norm of my daily lifestyle...such as if I mowed the grass and didn't normally. I haven't been entering anything while pregnant because I used it mainly to keep myself honest with my weightloss, and right now...I'm not trying to lose. LOL

I didn't use it for the calculations of calories burned, but to watch my food/caloric intake and to be sure that I was doing my exercise and keeping it pretty even throughout each day...just to track what/how much I did basically.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote