Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-29-2005, 10:29 PM   #1  
J.Depp=Male Perfection

Question Hair loss linked to weight gain

Does anyone know if hair loss linked to weight gain? Since my pregnancy when the weight gain started I am losing lots of hair. Its so thin in some places it looks bald. It's really embarrasing. I'm 27 years old.

I've been to the doctor and had tests done, but everything came back perfect. I don't understand why I've lost so much hair.
n2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:06 AM   #2  
Delicious Microwaved!

I'm glad to hear that you've already been to see your doctor. Depending on how worried you are about these conditions, I would consider going back to your doctor, or going to another doctor, to have yourself checked out more thoroughly. The weight gain/hair loss combo smacks of a thyroid problem; however, I'd think that your doctor would have tested for that first thing.

I am not hugely familiar with thyroid disorders. I began looking around on the web and there's honestly more information that I have time to read at the moment. This site at about.com seems to have a fair amount of information if you want to do some quick research: Thyroid disease 101. I would assume that you may have already looked into this or suspected a thyroid condition since you did go to see your doctor.

Personally, I'm hoping that your doctor and the tests are right on and there's nothing actually "wrong" with you. If you feel that's the case, I'd consider your stress level. There have been several studies demonstrating that weight gain and stress levels are often directly related. Furthermore, stress can also induce Alopecia, a condition which causes hair loss. I found some information about Alopecia here if you want to check it out.

I don't know if any of this information will be of help to you. I wish you the best of luck in getting to the root of the problem. I hope you'll keep us posted

Take care
Luciole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 12:57 PM   #3  
J.Depp=Male Perfection

I had wondered if it was a thyroid problem and that was what directed me to the doctor. I was tested a little over and year ago, and just a few weeks ago and all my levels were normal both times. I am really stressed and wonder if that could be it. I don't know how to destress being a single mom of 6 year old twins, working part time, full time student, and all the home responsibilties.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:19 PM   #4  

I thought hair loss was linked to pregnancy actually. That it can do weird things to your hair like make it curly or thick or thinner. hmm I thought I read that somewhere.
Littlepinksock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I also lost hair as soon as I had my second child. It lasted for about 6 months before it started coming back. My doctor explained that this was actually pretty common, and more due to the drastic hormone changes when you become pregnant/stop being pregnant.

Mine started thickening back up again after about a year. Don't fret...yours will as well.

Stress is also a major factor as well and can cause hair loss-so it may be a double shot to you since you are experiencing both situations.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #6  

I also lost my hair, mostly right above my bangs, in the "part" area. It was always thin but when I got pregnant, the hair loss was really noticeable. When my youngest was 3, and I was pretty sure it wasnt coming back, I started to "wear hair". I have a small hairpiece that is bonded to my scalp. I know no one notices because they make fun of other people's toupee etc in front of me. You really only notice the bad ones. Many of us are invisible. So I hope you do not join our ranks, but if you need to, there's an option. I, for one, couldnt stand a "see thru hairdo". My self esteem took a beating. When I first put the hair on, everyone thought I lost weight!!!
beachlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:07 PM   #7  
On My Way!

I lost hair after my 2nd and 3rd babies, because of the hormonal changes. My loss was most noticeable right above my forehead and in my part. When I'd shower, hair would come out in clumps! I was one of the lucky ones, whose hair came back, though. Good luck!
Serafyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:04 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepinksock
I thought hair loss was linked to pregnancy actually. That it can do weird things to your hair like make it curly or thick or thinner. hmm I thought I read that somewhere.
I agree, when I was pregnant my hair got curly at only one spot in the back of my head, it looked like I got a perm just at that spot, I have STRAIGHT hair too... It took a year to get my normal hair back...

During pregnancy there are soooo many hormonal changes in our bodies that it affects every part of our bodies, so I don't think it's the weight gain, it's the pregancy... It's a good thing your doctor checked you but I'm surprised he didn't mention the hormonal thing...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:08 AM   #9  

Height: 5'7

My hair is falling out like crazy. My youngest is turning two this month and it still hasnt slowed down. I don't know if you breafeed or did but my doc says that when you wean your hair can fall out even more. I also thought maybe I had a thyroid problem but blood work came out normal for thyroid, diabetes, infection and a myriad of other things. I also experience blurred vision with the hair loss. In the end the doctors diagnosed me with "high stress"..
Nonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Yes...stress can also cause hair loss. I lose hair vey easily with pregancies, hormonal changes of any sort-and stress. I have had a high workload the past couple months...and I am seeing a little more in the bathtub drain that usual as well.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:36 PM   #11  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

I also know someone who, when she stopped breastfeeding, her hair fell out tons. No thyroid problem at that time, but a year later, she did develop a thyroid problem. Hmmm. Did your doctor do 2 thyroid tests? I recently had the TSH and the T4. I think one is more specific than the other, can catch slighter differences in levels or something. Have you tried shampooing less and not using blow dryers/appliances? That seemed to help me. My hair does seem to fall out more in spring/summer than other times of the year.
HoosierHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:01 AM   #12  
I like jewelry.

I lost hair when I quit the Pill and started Depo. The loss was pretty dramatic and it started almost right away when I was on Depo. I went back to BCP and the loss definitely stopped. My hair feels a little thicker, too. In my experience, then, the hair loss was due to hormones.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:09 AM   #13  
J.Depp=Male Perfection

I rarely use blowdryers, etc. About 10 years ago I used to dye my hair a lot which I have since then stopped because I'm afraid I'll lose more. The doctor did do the complete thyroid tests.

I've noticed too that I have the loss but I also have growth on my neck. I think hormones may be a role in it. I would love to wear my hair down but I have lost so much it looks really bad. I've got to the point where I don't even want to go get my hair cut. My beautician said I probably need to drink more water and take vitamins.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:27 AM   #14  
Going to ONEderland

I've had a few occasions of hair loss in my life. I was never really sure what was causing it. Possibly poor nutrition? Maybe stress? I thought, and my mom thought that it was related to Vitamin B deficiency. Stress will cause a deficiency of the B Complex vitamins.

But I've also heard of rapid weight LOSS causing hair to fall out. I have a friend who lost about 100 pounds in a very short time 6 to 8 months or so, and she lost a lot of hair during that time.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:05 AM   #15  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Lots of likely candidates mentioned above: pregnancy, stress, change in diet...

One more thing to ponder: has there been any change in your water supply? We once moved to a home with incredibly hard water with tons of smellable sulfur (peeyoo) and within 3 weeks, my hair started falling out in clumps. Even my hairstylist was alarmed (I could see it in her eyes when she pulled a comb across my head and came up with a handful of hair ). I think she was afraid I'd blame her -- I reassured her it was NOT her fault!

We had a water softener installed and that seemed to do the trick.

If there's been any drastic change in your environment, that could be a cause.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote