Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-12-2005, 10:21 AM   #1  

Default over coming the negative body image

I need some help with a new body image. I am 25 and have lost almost 80lbs, I have gone from squeezing into a size 24 to almost being a size 16, (18s are a bit baggy but 16s are still a bit tight). I have started to get all kinds of attention, so I know the change shows. In fact I went to visit a friend I hadn’t seen in about 6 months and she didn’t even recognize me, and my boyfriend it always telling me how good I look, but when I look in the mirror I can’t help but see the size 24, every once in a while I can see that I look so much better, but then I still see all the places I bulge and I feel like I will never be able to see how far I have come.

Anyone have any tips for over coming the negative body image and being able to see me as I am now, not as I was 80lbs ago?
PrincessBirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:56 PM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I know the feeling, though I haven't lost as much weight as you. I've lost about one and a half sizes since I started dieting/exercising, but I still see "fat" when I look in the mirror, and all I can think about is that I still have almost 30 more lbs to go before I will be at my goal weight. Today I had a momentary panic when I saw stretch marks on my stomach (I think from losing weight), and was suddenly like "oh no, I will look thinner and better, but underneath it will still be yucky!"

My suggestion is to put on some clothes that used to fit you. The two things that really make me feel like I'm making progress, and I'm not fat, are wearing my older clothes and seeing how my pants are basically falling off, or putting on clothes that I bought back when I weighed less, and seeing that they almost fit right again.

You might want to try taking a picture of yourself, and comparing it against old pictures from when you weighed more. Or another possibility (if it is the type of thing that suits you) is to indulge in a visit to a day spa or something really pampering, where you can do something really nice for your body.

I hope that's useful! Congratulations on how much weight you've lost so far! That's really amazing.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:13 PM   #3  

Hi PrincessBirdy! First of all let me just say WOW! And congratulations on your outstanding weight loss thus far! Second, the feelings you're experiencing seem to be pretty common among those who've lost a lot of weight. Sometimes it takes quite a while for our perception of ourselves to catch up with our drastically changed bodies. I still catch myself thinking that I won't fit into a tight place sometimes, and I've been maintaining my weight loss for about 1 1/2 years now! I don't really have any advise other than to be patient. Your brain will, eventually, catch up with your body. Just try to do things that make you feel good about yourself. Enjoy trying on new, more fitted clothing. Try accepting sincere compliments for what they are, an affirmation of a job well done. And remember, it takes time. You and everyone around you has to get used to a whole new you. Good luck and take care!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #4  

Try to consider yourself a work in progress as that is really what we all are. Like any masterpiece we take time to build. Try to focus on small areas of your body where you have made dramatic change. For me it's my thighs. Whenever I see them in the mirror I really look at them. By focusing on them I don't focus on my stomach which is still rather large. I'm sure with 80lbs gone you can find more than 1 good area to focus on. Also try to focus on how much better you must feel and how much added energy you have! Good luck
aweighstogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I think one of the best ways to start retraining yourself to see the "new" you is with photos. Make a little poster or something if you want to for fun-or place them in a small photo album. One at your highest/starting weight, and then one with you smaller, and then another if you are wanting to continue to get a little smaller. Then you can really "see" the difference between now and then.

I think it is hard for someone to really see their own changes, because you see yourself every single day. You may not notice a physical change if you lost 10 pounds over the last 3 months-but for someone who hasn't seen you at all in 3 months-they are seeing it more "like the photos" and not during the small gradual changes.

I also think that great self esteem boosters are to take care of yourself. Doing little things that maybe you don't always take the time to do-like putting on scented body lotion after your bath, painting your toenails, or putting a deep conditioning treatment on your hair. Sometimes it is the little pampering types of things that can make you feel wonderful about yourself. When you do these things you are essentially telling yourself that you are worth taking care of.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote