Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-31-2016, 11:30 AM   #1  

Default Office Job and Struggling to Lose Weight

I have a desk job where I sit from 8-5. I have a 35 min commute one way.
This desk job has been a nightmare. I'm not used to sitting all day, and not moving much. I have been at this job for almost 2 years. It is devastating to me, as I have gained weight and used to have nice legs/butt and now everything is jiggly..I answer the phone, so I really can't leave my desk a lot..

I don't snack a lot..and try to eat healthy, but my problem is the second I get home, I eat everything in sight, even if I'm not hungry.

I used to be a very active person, and when I get home, I'm fairly active, take the dogs out, make dinner, etc, so I'm moving around at home, but it's not enough to lose weight and get toned again. I don't have time to go to a gym, so when I can in the AM I do a 10 min workout video online.
I think I need about 1,200 calories a day, but I'm trying to shave a couple hundred calories off, but it's hard! I'm horrible with ranch dressing on everything, and binge eating, a brownie here, a bite of this here, even when I'm not hungry..

Can I truly lose weight with little to no exercise?

For breakfast I have 1/2 cup cheerios, with 1/2 almond milk, and for lunch today I brought 1 unsalted rice cake, with 1 tbsp peanut butter powder. I do great at work, I don't have ANY snacks at my desk. It's when I get home that's the problem. I love food, and I get home and I'm into everything, granola, bread, etc. I keep myself occupied, but it's not enough.

Last edited by toomuchfood; 10-31-2016 at 11:34 AM.
toomuchfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:15 PM   #2  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I think managing the food - especially macro rations, types of food, cutting out sugar etc. - rest, and stress management are the secret to weight loss. Getting out of the snacking habit will really help. Tea - and more protein, maybe? At work I eat a small meal right before leaving to stop those munchies.

Can you eat at your desk and then walk at lunch, or do stairs?
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:20 PM   #3  

No stairs at work..only one floor. What are macros? I just started using the calorie counter on my phone, but I find it very hard to use it for dinner since I make almost everything home made..
Old 10-31-2016, 02:55 PM   #4  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

Hi and

I feel your pain! I gained almost 50 pounds during the two years I had a desk job. They're not for me.

My first impressions...

Food - It sounds like you're eating way too little food during the day. It's no wonder that you eat a lot when you get home - your body is hungry! If you're doing 1200 calories a day, maybe try splitting 600 between breakfast and lunch, and saving 600 for dinner/after work eating. Also, most people find protein more satiating than carbs. Your breakfast especially could use a protein boost. Adding in high fiber foods should help too.

Exercise - You can definitely lose weight without exercise, but it'll certainly help you out with weight loss and general health to get in some. It doesn't have to be anything too intense. Walking at a brisk pace for about 45 minutes a day can help drop a lot of pounds. You could split that up into chunks that work for you, like 20 minutes here, and 25 minutes there.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 10-31-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 316/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I agree with Chunkahlunkah, that sounds like far too little to eat during the day if what you listed was a typical day's food. Restrictive eating, especially with all of the temptations of junk food in the office, can definitely cause you to overeat at home. Can you add some fresh veggies or fruit as snacks throughout your workday? Or swap in some healthier options for the foods you binge on at home?

As far as exercise, does your office job offer the option to raise your workstation so that you can alternate standing or sitting? If not, can you get one of those under-desk ellipticals to use while you work every now and again? Or go for walks on your breaks? That can be great for both stress as well as exercise.
Blicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #6  

Thank you for the responses! I guess I restrict my calories because I read about if you take how many calories your supposed to eat in a day (say it's 1500) and you try to eat 500 or so less you can lose weight easily. This doesn't seem to be working for me because the second I get home, I'm constantly snacking. Even in the morning, when I make my husband's lunch after I've ate my breakfast, I'm taking a bite here and there of what I'm packing him..it's like I don't need to do that, but I can't stop!
I'm so mad at myself for having a job that I sit ALL day long at, so that's why I restrict my calories, because I have no time to go to the gym, etc. I'm in the process of looking for other jobs, but that can be a long process.

Today so far for breakfast I had 1/2 cup cheerios and 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk. For lunch I brought an apple. Nothing until I get home. It's like last night, I make home made ice cream for my DH..I brought him a bowl, but every spoonful I put in his bowl, I had a bite every time. I just can't stop myself.
I have IBS, so I've thought of chewing gum when I get home, and after dinner, but the gum hurts my stomach. What else can I suck on/chew on with no calories? Brushing my teeth doesn't stop me.
A sit-stand desk is not an option here at work..I wish!

Last edited by toomuchfood; 11-01-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #7  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Hi there toomuch,
3 types of macronutrients: carbohydrates, fats, proteins. Some food contain all three.
200 calories of pasta feels different than 200 calories of red meat. Some food types make you feel full longer, don't cause as many cravings, make you feel less bloated etc.
Sometimes experimenting with different macro combinations gives different results (like some people who go high protein or low-carb, or high-fat low-carb.) I can't commit to counting calories, but keeping an eye on my macro balance, portion control and good night sleeps take me surprisingly far. Heavy restriction actually makes me obsessed and binge, so I have to be careful of my mental health.

Do you like mint tea? Or David's Tea type flavoured teas? Maybe some have ingredients that won't cause a reaction?
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #8  

I do like some tea, has to bee caffeine free. I guess I was trying to find something to put in my mouth, food/candy wise that has little to no calories like gum that would suffice. If I have something in my mouth, I'm not tempted to binge eat.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:29 PM   #9  

I feel your pain. I just started a very similar job 1 year ago and have gained 20 lb since I get an hour lunch and 2 10 min breaks. When I'm really trying to be good I try to walk during at least some of that time. Say 1 of the 10 min breaks literally around the parking lot and 30 min at lunch. Still gives me time to eat then walk and be back to work in time. I also have a night time eating issue I need to work on but also a vending machine problem wish it wasn't there. I think it's a skill that will need to be worked on, strengthening will over self sabotaging.
Good luck to you.

Last edited by kar94; 11-03-2016 at 10:30 PM.
kar94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I notice 2 things...I don't think you're eating enough during the day, and it's mostly carb...no protein. Protein tends to be more satisfying and stays with you longer. Carbs tend to increase cravings.

The snacking and tasting everything is a habit. I also have that habit, but habits can be broken. It takes time, and you have to be conscious of doing it each time you do it and stop yourself. Don't eat anything unless you are sitting at the table. If you don't want something bad enough to put in on a plate/bowl and sit down at the table to eat it, then you shouldn't eat it. Start to do this, and write down everything you eat. Find an online tracker and enter your food so you can see exactly how many calories you are really eating. They also show the amount of fat, carbs and protein. If you are not losing, look to see where you can limit certain foods and increase others. Vegetables are very low calorie and you can eat a lot of them without much damage to your weight.

I agree with those who say to take a walk during lunch, even if it's only 10 or 15 min. Do the same after you eat dinner. If you can, join a gym. Somewhere on the way home from work. Stop there after work before you get home. Once you are home, you most likely won't go back out to the gym.

For those who have problems with vending machines, don't take any more money with you than you need for lunch, if you buy your lunch. Vending machine food is so expensive! The money you save each week can be saved to buy a new outfit, or something else you want. Heck, it might pay for a gym membership!

Good luck to you!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 174/174/130

Height: 5'6''

There are tons of things you can do at your desk too if it isn't too embarrassing I do push ups or squats every so often and taken a walking lap or two around my building when it's nice outside.
angeline2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 137.8 22~% / 21.0% / 15%

Height: 5'4 1/2

I have a sitting job, and I feel your pain. I get out every day during lunch time and spend one hour at the gym. That's my life saver. Many times I also exercise in the morning for an hour. After I get home, I am done for the day, no need to worry about working out in the evening, so I can spend the time with my kids.

Now if I can only solve my eating problem in the evening, I tend to eat what the kids eat, if I make them something, I wanna it too. I am good during the day, but usually screw up in the evening.

Last edited by stronggal; 11-10-2016 at 03:16 PM.
stronggal is offline   Reply With Quote