Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 09:52 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 160/158/125

Height: 5'4"

Aww Mel, She is adorable. What a beautiful baby. I'm so happy for you. Glad to hear that you both are doing well too. Congrats! I can't get over her. She looks alot bigger than 9#, wow. Can't wait to hear more about the birth. Glad you are back home

WTG Karen on getting all that exercise in. I'm more of a cardio kinda gal. But I know once Baylan gets here (and I have time to heal) I'm gonna need to do some serious toning. I hope you are doing better today and not so sore.

I'm so glad to hear you are loving this diet so much Spryng. I remember last time you did adkins it made you sick. You are doing great with it this time and sounds like you found alot more variety.
About my pregnancy, well I'm 27 weeks and measuring near 30. They joked yesterday and said I was gonna have baby godzilla. Which wasn't so funny to me. But IMHO I believe the OB assistant was reading the wheel wrong or my chart. I measured exactly at my last visit. So with my big gain and the godzilla baby she decided to put me on a pregnancy diet Unwillingly I'm giving it a shot. It's just funny tho because I have horrible cravings all the time. And you just know all the things I crave are not on the diet. Aw well. I guess I need to go, I have to clean house and shop today. Hope you all have a great day!
Old 08-27-2003, 10:56 AM   #32  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Good Morning!

Misty - Really? THey are putting you on a diet at this stage in the pregnancy? I have never heard that except for when women get the pregnancy diabeties. Or when I had to go on the "NO FAT" diet when I had the gallbladder attack when I was 5 Months Prego with DS! Had my gall bladder removed 3 weeks after DS was born.

Spryng - how is the recipe search going? Are you recording your intake on fitday? I am because it keeps me accountable. I am having 75% of my intake as Fat though and that concerns me! Do you have any thoughts on this?

Where is everyone? Kristi? Jen, Ricci? Jackie?

I am off to fix breakfast then it is off to the gym again. Eliptical and lower body today.. and as always - ABS!! This makes 3 days this week with cardio!
Old 08-27-2003, 12:11 PM   #33  
hangin' in there...

Hi gang!

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S to Mel!!!! That baby is gorgeous!!! Enjoy every precious moment with her! And, I hope you are feeling well, also. Please check in and give details when you get a chance.

Sorry I've been MIA. I've had a hard time getting back on track since I was sick. My throat is still a bit raw, but I found some new motivation this morning when I was getting dressed. Everything is just too damn tight! (pardon my language) It won't be long before the cool weather gets here, and I just know my jeans are not going to fit. I am feeling the crunch and have to do something about it NOW, because I refuse to buy new "fat" clothes!!! So, I am going to try to eat very well for the next week. Then when the kiddos go back to school in a week, I hope to get into a regular exercise routine.

Well, don't have tme to get personal........ gotta make lunch for the gang, tne I promised them some pool time. I hope everyone is well.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:31 PM   #34  
soontobethin

Hello everyone.
I haven't been on here much lately cause dh has been taking vacation days from work. So he's either on here, or we are doing something with ds's.
Karen and Spryng, you guys rock. You both are doing so well on atkins. I wish I had the will power. On the plus side, I have cut out alot of carbs, not all though. I need new ideas on exercising. my videos which I have had for almost two yrs are boring me. I forgot who had the baby, but congrats. She is adorable. Spryng, it looks like you guys have had a small cool down today. Not much I know, but better than 100+
Well thats all for now.
Ricci
Old 08-27-2003, 03:01 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Good afternoon all!
Thanks Karen for the recipe site. And yes I use fitday to keep track of my weight and to look up nutritional values for certain things but I don't log everything I eat in it. I use http://atkins.com , I like this site alot better. And 75% of your intake being fat is a good thing! The more fat you get in the more your body uses ketosis to clean it out. I'm always worried I don't get enough fat. So scallops tonight huh? I have that ground beef to use still, we ended up going to MIL for dinner and I had a bunless burger, which was very tasty. So I still need to use that ground beef from yesterday, so tonight will probably be taco salad or taco roll ups.
jen, I hope we can encourage you to get going on your weight loss. I know you said you feel the crunch to do it NOW, because of fall around the corner... well we are here to help you do it? And specific plans in mind? Check out that site I listed above for Karen and just read about the atkins diet. it will definitely get some weight off fast and you are not hungry. Just think about it ok?
Ricci, I know how you feel about being bored of your exercise videos. I am bored of mine too. I think I would like to purchase The Firm series. It combines weight lifting and aerobics for fast slimming results. I have a denise austin video that combines them and I got graet results from it. But it's too high intensity for me right now. I need to get on my recumbant bike again... what I really want is a good treadmill. Hmmm..maybe in a few months.
Well my day is going well. I must say though that at times I feel discouraged with this WOE. I guess I am really starting to miss some things... But I'm trying to stay strong and yes I'm still cheat free which I am proud of. DH leaves this tuesday though so monday he plans to take me out to dinner and all that and I may allow myself a little indulgence and then tuesday right back on plan. But I'm still debating that. I guess it depends on where he takes me.
Anyway... I need to get off here. I think I will steal a nap now. TTYL!
Old 08-27-2003, 03:51 PM   #36  
hangin' in there...

Thanks for the encouragement, Spryng. I actually have done a lot of looking into the Atkins diet, and I did check into your link. For a little while, I thought I might be able to do it temporarily, just to get things kick-started. But, I found out today that in addition to cutting carbs, you can't have sugar either??? I mean sugar like no sugar in your coffee or you have to use sugar substitutes for baking, etc. Well, I just can't do it. All those artificial sweetners give me migraines. So, there is no way.

So, my plan is, fewer carbs, fewer calories, low fat (I pretty much do well to keep fat low anyway) and portion control. In other words, I just want to eat like a "normal" person and not do anything drastic. I know it may not give me quick results, but I think it's the best thing for me, in the long run. I am trying to do things like have only protein for breakfast, because anything with carbs leaves me feeling hungry an hour later. And I am trying to eat small, light snacks during the day, in place of a regular "lunch" meal. Of course, water water water. So, that is my plan, I guess.

gotta run.. kids and I are off to B&N for some books....
Old 08-27-2003, 04:51 PM   #37  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Jen - Atkins recommends Splenda which is made from sugar, with out the carbs. HAve you tried that one. Many people I have met online that have headages with artificial sweetners find splenda isnt a problem. I never had sugar in my coffee just cream so I find that using heavy cream is wonderful as it makes it a little richer!

I LOVE the Firm Videos! I have 5 of them! They are a little high intensity right now for me, but I can still do the Abs one. I use Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to lose weight too. That is the one that helped me lose 56 pounds in 1999!!!

Ricci - I never thought I had the will power either, but the cool thing is that once you get past the first 3 days or so, your body is so cleared out of carbs that you dont crave sweets. Most dont even look good to me. Even popcorn which my hubby loves to make at night when watching TV... I used to LIVE on Popcorn when low fat dieting. What I like about atkins is that you can eat rich foods like my bacon wrapped scallops last night and still lose weight. The other thing I like is that I really dont have that blood sugar crash in the afternoons anymore! That is a major plus for me with 2 little ones!

I went to the gym again today. Did my lower body and man my thighs are killing me. I know I will be sore tmo. I think I have over done the abs a little as my incisions are a little sore today.. so I am taking tmo off the abs. WIll do the treadmill though as I know I will need to stretch my legs!!!

Well, I am off.. I am teaching crochet class tonight and have to get some stuff done around here... talk to you all soon!
Old 08-27-2003, 06:44 PM   #38  
hangin' in there...

Karen, I did try Splenda last year and did not care for it at all. I don't remember it giving me a headache, but I couldn't stomach it in my coffee.... I though it tasted just awful! I am a black coffee drinker, but like it sweet. I hate to sound so anti-Atkins, and I hope you and Spryng won't take offense to what I'm about to say. But Atkins goes against almost everything I know about good nutrition. Remember that I am in nursing school, and I have studied a lot about anatomy and physiology and how the body works and processes things and how all of the systems work together. It's just my opinion that ketoacidosis is not a state you want to purposely put your body into. If a patient comes into the hospital in metabolic acidosis, we do everything we can to reverse it because of the impact it has on the body. Now, I do have plenty of nurse friends who are on Atkins, also. And of course, there are plenty of doctors who sing it's praises. But, I don't see it as a way of life for me. I know that if I were to suck it up and try it, I probably would lose weight. But I could never stick with it forever, and once I was off it, I'd gain all that weight right back. I truly want to change my eating habits forever, by eating good, healthy food, not binging, and eating a well-balanced diet. I think moderation is the key, and that completely cutting out either sugar or carbs or any other specific thing is only a temporary fix.

So, that is just my opinion. You may disagree, and that's fine. If Atkins works for you, then I think that's great, because whatever works to help you get to a healthy weight and maintain it is wonderful! I'm just saying that it's not for me. Of course, I realize my argument has almost no credibility because I am sitting here FAT and you all are losing the weight.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:28 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 160/158/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm starting a new thread
Closed Thread