Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-08-2016, 09:44 PM   #1  

Default New and struggling

I just started dieting 2 days ago, and I am already struggling. It sure is hard!! I am just counting calories, and trying to make really healthy choices. I'm struggling with feeling like I always need more, and I can tell that I'm going through sugar/carbohydrate withdrawls, because I'm super crabby. I find it hard to think of meals to make for supper because my husband is not dieting. Any suggestions from people who have lost weight, what it was like in the beginning? What kept you going?
Impatientforchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:38 AM   #2  

I personally don't like counting calories. I just eat healthy take bread, potatoe, pasta etc out of your menu. Make healthy meals that don't seem like 'diet food' mornings make eggs with veggies and some kind of meat. Lunch maybe a soup/stew with lots of veggies. Also try and have a veggie shake/juice to get more veggies in your diet. Also drink lots of water. Good luck and don't quit
Campana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #3  
Rin

S/C/G: 250/226/164

Height: 5'8"

Are you eating enough protein and getting some fat in your diet? I snack on nuts (cashews, pecans, or almonds) or eat half an avocado with my lunch. You could grill chicken and different veggies. Or try a stir fry or stew? Veggies are low in calories, so you can eat a lot more of them.

Everyone is different, so it's about finding out what works best for you personally. I don't calorie count cause it drove me crazy (I might again one day but not now). I'm just cutting out most carbs, sugar, and dairy. I eat lots of veggies and protein, and can have limited fat and fruit, although I'll have extra fruit and the occasional dairy. Not sure if any of this helped at all, but I think it's always ok to change something a bit to fit your lifestyle best and into something you can live with.
Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #4  
Rin

S/C/G: 250/226/164

Height: 5'8"

Also, I second drinking lots of water and a green smoothie. I think it helps a lot with energy and not feeling hungry.
Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #5  

One of the reasons why I like counting calories is because of the objectivity. You have a hard number telling you "this is how many calories you've eaten today." When you've got that kind of information, and you're noticing you're hungry or feel low energy it's a good way to reevaluate what you've been eating. For example, when I first started loosing weight, I decided to track my calories and started with 2000 calories. It was an eye opener because my 2000 calories wasn't filled with a lot of nutritious, filling food but the amount of calories should've fulfilled my daily needs. It didn't.

Part of feeling hungry is psychological. Your eyes are always hungrier than your stomach, trust me! What your eyes have been used to seeing will affect how you perceive the new foods and portions you eat today. I would suggest eating healthier foods in larger portions to provide you with some psychological effect. Think a salad with chicken, lots of kale, spinach, cherry tomatoes, and half an avocado. Load that salad up with as much produce as possible. Eat healthy protein options such as the chicken, tuna fish, and experiment with nuts.

The biggest thing too, is I stopped thinking about it as "dieting." Life is going to happen. You're going to get invited out to dinner, weekend lunch, birthday parties, weddings, etc. It's not realistic to continue that dieting mentality. I'm one of these people who gets irritated with the word diet...

If I were you, I'd do myself a favor and figure out a way that works for you and your husband to eat healthier and keep track of your portions. What does your husband eat and what does he like...look at that and then devise a way to make the meals (and make them healthier). For example, my husband likes alfredo pasta and we know how unhealthy that can be. Granted, I'll never be able to make a 100% healthy alfredo, but I created a recipe that's reduced in fat, oil, and incorporates more vegetables. What's nice about counting calories is the app I use analyzes my recipes and I know the serving sizes. I eat a serving appropriate for me, and my husband eats what he likes. It's a win-win, and yes it does require more work.
arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/160/140

Height: 5'4

As far as eating when your husband is not on a diet, can you eat the same thing, minus the bread/rice/potatoes/pasta portion? That's what I do in my house. The only food I have trouble with is pizza - can't take out the carb heavy part! So I try to keep pizza down to once or twice a month. Once my carbs are lowered, cravings go away, my mood recovers, and it's easy to keep the calories low. Hang in there! You may only have one or two more days of feeling lousy until your body adjusts.
Treasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatientforchange View Post
I just started dieting 2 days ago, and I am already struggling. It sure is hard!! I am just counting calories, and trying to make really healthy choices. I'm struggling with feeling like I always need more, and I can tell that I'm going through sugar/carbohydrate withdrawls, because I'm super crabby. I find it hard to think of meals to make for supper because my husband is not dieting. Any suggestions from people who have lost weight, what it was like in the beginning? What kept you going?
Hi impatientforchange, You are definitely not alone! I find that when I am struggling on a diet I need to give myself permission to eat enough food so that I don't feel hungry. Being hungry is only sustainable for so long until you eat something - so I fill up with low-calorie, high volume foods. Fruits and vegetables, soups, blended shakes, and high volume salads really help me feel full because I am eating MORE food for fewer calories. As for dinner prep, I usually try to fill my plate with at least half veggies, stir frys with chicken and fish are really good. I hope this helps!
healthylivingalways is offline   Reply With Quote