Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 304/253/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Need encouragement to get through this plateau!

I've been on my weight loss life style for 6 months and have hit a plateau that is really rough! Its been about 3 weeks now and no real weight loss. I keep going back and forth between these same 1-2 lbs. Have been stuck at 262 -261 for 3 weeks!

I have gone through a couple other plateaus but nothing like this one.

I know it will pass but sometimes I feel like I am losing faith in myself. Could use some inspiration and encouraging words to get through this! Thanks!
applevalleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/188/150

Height: 5'5"

Number one inspiration should be how much you've lost already! WOW! Amazing!!!! You're an inspiration to many!!

Can you change anything in your exercise habits that might expedite the loss?? Substitute something?? Try drinking water only for a week? (I find when I do my water-only method, I lose weight faster.)

Best of luck to you! And congratulations so far on your loss! Keep going!
spangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #3  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Hold on TIGHT and don't give up!!

Plateaus bite, don't they? The loss IS going to happen and it will probably be as mysterious as the plateau.

Don't forget that you're making improvements in your health even if you're not seeing it on the scale. You're giving your body better things to nourish itself with. Every part of you is getting stronger. Think back to how you felt when you first started...do you feel a change in your energy or are maybe even sleeping better? Sometimes it's the little things like that we miss. And it's so gradual that you kind of forget how crappy you felt when you started. At least I did.

For me, sometimes it can help to shake things up a bit. Maybe have a couple slightly higher calorie days....or lower. Or drink a LOT of extra green tea for a few days (can help if you retain water). And sometimes, it's just a matter of patience.

Just DON'T GIVE UP. Good stuff is already happening and it's going to continue!

Last edited by Vickie Chickie; 07-18-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #4  

Thanks so much! I forgot to think about all the blessings I have received on account of the weight I have already lost. My BP is normal now, my clothes are all loose and I really need to start buying in a smaller size. I definitely have more energy and less aches, pains, headaches, etc. than I used to have. All around I feel so much better than I used to and am more active. So I really do have much to be thankful for! Thanks for reminding me!

I have noticed that my thighs and arms feel thinner during this plateau period and I have more bounce in my step. Just not seeing it on the scales yet. So perhaps I am building muscle and or retaining fluid until my body is ready to let it go.

The good news is whenever I hit a plateau like this, when its over I drop several lbs all at once, so I just need to be patient!
Old 07-18-2015, 11:40 PM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Patience is key.

One thing I learned, is the journey changes, as you go. Tracking, blog, write it on note paper or your hand or whatever.

Don't give up.

Tracking, how ever you do it, gives you feedback, take a breath, and learn from it.

The way I see it, there is no failure, as long as you are willing to learn from feedback.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:28 AM   #6  

Have you taken measurements? I was stuck at a plateau for a good month, but I dropped a clothes size during that period! I was so frustrated until I checked my measurements. Come to think of it, that was right around 40lbs down where that happened.

The thing that broke the plateau for me was interval training. I had been walking for a while but as soon as I started doing the run/walk program c25k, the weight started coming off again.

Good luck and hang in there. I know how frustrating it is but the scale will start moving again!
Chubabub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #7  

Thanks shcirerf! You are so right. Patience is key! and boy do I track my progress. I have a spreadsheet I keep and log my food, calories, fat, etc. So during this plateau time I went back over my weekly logs and could see in black and white how my progression is coming along! Keeping a log has helped me in the past to adjust my diet to include more lean protein and slow burning carbs to help me lose more weight. I actually had to learn to eat more to lose more!

Chubabub-- I don't take arm or leg measurements, just my waist. I measure it weekly. I am steadily losing inches and I did lose 1/2" around my waist during this plateau.

It makes me feel a little better when you mentioned you once had a plateau that lasted a month. Years ago I remember this happened to me once and just after I finished the plateau I dropped 10 lbs the following week. I always drop several lbs right after I finish a plateau so it should be something I look forward to.

Its just having the patience to get through this period that sucks. It seems to take F-O-R-E-V-E-R!!!
Old 07-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #8  

You aren't on a plateau. You have to have no change up or down in weight for 6 weeks to be on a plateau. It's discouraging when the scale doesn't cooperate, but this is the time your body is tightening up.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote