Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 317/170/157

Height: 5'6"

Default I know this is dumb however....I gained a pound

HELP! I feel dumb posting this, but i feel like I need to because this is what this forum is for....support, right? I started dieting about 3 wks ago and when I say diet, I mean felt a rebirth of sorts. I am trying to make a lifestyle change. Anyway, I have been doing really well and weighed in this morning 1 lb heavier than I did on Saturday. I know that people say I shouldn't obsess over numbers on the scale or weigh myself that often, but I feel like every day has been a struggle for me thus far and I need the accountability right now. If not, then 1 bad meal, turns into a bad day that turns into a bad week if I rationalize to myself "well, I don't have to weigh myself for 2 wks." I know that I shouldn't freak out, but I have to admit that I am saddened by the pound. I know that this has happened to many people in a matter of 1 pound or many pounds. Can you please tell me how you brushed it off? I don't want to be sad or get caught up because my mood swings are finally stabilizing. Some of you may be familiar with my previous post about why I was so mad/angry that stirred up a lot of replies. I am no longer angry 1 day, happy the next, tearful the next. Today I am a little worried and just need a little advice. There is somebody who's posts I've seen a few times. The signature is very motivational. It something to the effect of, "if you quit bc of 1 setback, its like slashing the other 3 tires when you have a flat." I've been trying to remind myself of that this morning. Because typically if I did have a setback I usually think, eff it, I'm going to McDonalds. I'm going to fight that urge today. Any words of inspiration would really help

Last edited by kiwi1222; 05-06-2015 at 09:14 AM.
kiwi1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

When I'm following a plan that has me at a caloric deficit and I see a gain, I remind myself that I won't defy the laws of physics. I just stick with the same plan and the loss always comes eventually.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I basically put it down to not having a sh!t (or a big enough sh!t) that day and move on.

8 times out of ten it is that. 1 time out of 10 it is water, especially if I am bouncing back from a hangover or strenuous exercise. And the rest of the time it is something I ate.

If I am up 10 pounds over a series of months that is when the alarm bells start ringing and I adjust. 5 pounds up or down in a given week or on a given day is no biggie.

So, yes, you are being dumb.

Last edited by IanG; 05-06-2015 at 10:36 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #4  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Yeah, it stinks when you feel like you finally got it together, you are doing everything right, you are suffering... and then you are rewarded by gaining weight!

It stinks - but it is the reality. One option of dealing with this is to only weigh weekly; you are much more likely to see a drop after a week of on plan rather than a single day. Another option is to learn to accept the scale number as simply a reflection of the fluctuations that are a normal part of any body.

If I am being really uptight and weighing myself multiple times per day, I usually notice a drop throughout the morning until I eat something. I can lose more than a pound just walking to yoga class, taking the class, and walking home. Did I really lose that much weight in 2 hours? Nope. It's just water presumably. The other day I weighed myself early morning and then later I had lost an entire pound - I really had done nothing in between, just sitting at my desk. Craziness. But that is also why the scale is just one tool to mark fitness.

You have to look at the big picture. Although consistent downward movement on the scale would be nice ... you are doing this for your entire future. Keep at the good habits and the scale will eventually reflect your hard work. (I need to remind myself of that all the time too!) People are waaaay too concerned about what specific number the scale shows. Yes, I am usually one of them but I am trying very hard to overcome that. In the end, who cares what number the scale says (which will be different on another scale anyway) if you look and feel like you want to?

Good luck making peace with the evil scale
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #5  

Remember that you're not trying to lose weight per se, you're trying to lose fat. The scale doesn't just show fat loss/gain. A cup of water weighs half a pound. If you're sticking to your plan then don't worry about it.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #6  
Reluctant Runner

S/C/G: 255/229/150

Height: 5'7"

I have the worst scale in the universe and it is wrong most of the time. If I judged my success by my scale, I'd have given up a month ago and I'd be sitting on my couch eating cake right now.

I recently came off of a three week period where I saw no change on the scale. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong because I was tracking my food so well and working out constantly... it was rough.

But then I realized, I was kind of enjoying eating so healthy for so long and working out so consistently. It was a like a game with myself - how long can I keep it up? I started to feel really good and energized and I focused on that. Yes, maybe the scale wasn't going in the direction I wanted it to but I KNEW I was being healthy and fueling my body. I tried very, very hard to focus on that and not on my weight.

I think if you can work at that - focus on your health as the goal and making it through each day making good choices, you will feel accomplished for that reason alone. Then when you inevitably do end up losing weight it will be an extra bonus.

Good luck! I know it's rough.
VegTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #7  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Like Ian said, my scale fluctuates about 5 pounds in any given week. I think I'm just so used to it that it has never caused me to bat an eye. If you like spreadsheets, you might benefit from tracking daily and taking a weekly average instead of taking too much stock in one day's scale reading. This isn't even a "setback." It's totally normal!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 317/170/157

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for all the replies. I know I was just freaking out, but hearing others opinions on the matter does help. I'm not gonna freak and just go about my business. Today was just the first day in a while that the number moved in the direction I didn't want it to.
kiwi1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #9  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

I ate perfectly over the weekend and the previous week and "gained" a pound. I ate at maintenance yesterday, absolutely no deficit for calories, maybe even over... I still feel SUPER full this morning and I suddenly "lost" a pound. The scale really means nothing

I agree with Ian, often times it's extra fluid or waste still in the body, and if I'm on my period for exampls, I loose nothing for a week until its over, even eating well and exercising. Remember too that what you weigh in the morning is what you are gonna weigh for maybe five minutes of that day before drinking, eating, walking, and it's gonna change in either direction all day. I make a habit of not paying attention to the kgs on the scale and constantly rounding up. For me, 148.2 doesn't equal 148.2. Each weight has its own "range" and because I have mentally decided that and accepted that as a rule, I don't panic. So 148.2 lbs, I'd call that 147-149. And when I think like that, suddenly the next day if it decides to go up a few kgs for some reason, its still in the "range" by being one pound in either direction. Its a helpful way to think I also don't update my weight until I have dropped at least three pounds from my last recorded weight and stayed in that new three pound range for at least two days. I like to only record the positive and it works for me!!!

Someone earlier suggested only weighing once a week and I agree that that can help as well. I did that in the beginning of my journey and it was great. I didn't really need to switch to daily weighing until I got to the halfway point of my loss... And that is only because I don't starve myself. My calorie intake is only like 100-200 calories off what I burn in a day, so I need to pay closer attention.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:28 PM   #10  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi1222 View Post
There is somebody who's posts I've seen a few times. The signature is very motivational. It something to the effect of, "if you quit bc of 1 setback, its like slashing the other 3 tires when you have a flat." I've been trying to remind myself of that this morning. Because typically if I did have a setback I usually think, eff it, I'm going to McDonalds. I'm going to fight that urge today. Any words of inspiration would really help
Oh, that's my signature. I've been offline for a couple of days. Don't worry about that pound. It could be because of where you are in your cycle, it was hot out, you drank more or less water than usual, something snuck more salt in than you thought etc...It's not a big deal, it's just a bump!
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote