Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-16-2014, 06:29 AM   #16  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

When my mom worked 2 full time jobs, she still managed to cook. What she cooked though was very simple and usually cooked on the weekends. I am in graduate school part time with a full time job which means I'm not making enchiladas but really it takes me maybe 20 minutes on the days I cook if I'm not cooking anything fancy I think people can make time if they choose to. But it does rely somewhat on having been taught the skills or willing to learn them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #17  

I cook all the time. It's a lost art, sadly. The premade meals have and meals in a box were what was ruining my waistline. When I stopped being lazy and got back to cooking real food I began to lose weight very quickly.
Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationalparker View Post
While i have the time and do enjoy cooking, i recognize that not everyone does have the time. Friends who work two jobs, handle homework trying to get through classroom or online classes, have kids' homework to assist with or check over, in addition to everything else...sometimes the hours, even minutes, just aren't there, using public transit from job to job, and stopping for fresh take out from a market that doesn't HAVE fresh takeout in some cities is just not a viable option. Be careful before judging anyone...we know not their situations. To some, cooking is a luxury, as is using a full amount of detergent in a load of laundry, or being able to sit down on the way home from the night job. Be proud and pleased with your choices, but be wary of thinking everyone has the same amount of time, availability of product, and the same ability.
Who's judging? But I still don't think there's an excuse. It takes better planning. Involve the kids. Shop head. Cook and freeze. "I don't have time" is a strategy to avoid it. We make time for things that are important to us.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #19  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I used to love cooking. I'm fortunate that I learned a lot from my mom, and as a teenager and young 20-something I had a lot of time while living by myself to experiment.

Now, I'd say that actively losing weight AND feeding my boyfriend makes cooking one of my least favorite chores as of late. However, I know I wouldn't be able to lose weight without it. I also wouldn't be able to afford not cooking.

So, I try to find a happy medium during the work week. I have had to unlearn some of my own cooking tactics and remind myself that it is OK to use cheats. Sometimes all I need is to grill a chicken breast and throw some frozen veggies in the microwave and there's nothing wrong with calling that dinner. I make smoothies for breakfast. I save my real "cooking" for the weekends when I have time and it's more enjoyable.

The planning of it is absolutely exhausting. I'm just glad I've finally figured out some decent last minute meals that don't require a lot of time or effort.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #20  

I love cooking, and the older I get, the more I cook. I've had to because I'm a "foodie" but I live in an area where there are no good bakeries (so, I usually make my own bread, pita, and baked goods) and very few places that have food that is up to my standards. So, during the past few years, I've learned to make many of the foods that I would never have thought I could make (I can't tell you the last time I bought canned soup).
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #21  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
<snip> (so, I usually make my own bread, pita, and baked goods) and very few places that have food that is up to my standards. <snip>
Omg, I can only imagine how good your homemade pita would be, I bet it is unbelievable.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #22  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

I wish I was a better cook. My mom never taught me and trying to learn myself has not gone well. I burn water lol. Ill blame it on being bipolar lol I have a hard time following instructions and patience is not my strength.

My sister in law taught me to make fajitas and I feel insanely proud that I can make that. I make it alot lol. And all I am doing is chopping stuff up and throwing it in a pan.

I think the hardest part is where to begin. I have a chicken breast and I am just like ok...what do I do with it? I don't know the basics.

I hate following recipes when I am only cooking for one or two people and even more I hate buying ingredients that Ill only use for one recipe.

That being said I try I love pinterest & get alot of recipes from there that I try. Most do not turn out well. And it can be discouraging when that happens.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #23  

I'm happy to help anyone who needs to learn the basics!

There are also very good cooking forums and blogs that can help you learn.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 250/199/125

Height: 5'1"

I've had a standard housewarming gift for cousins as they grow up and move out for the first time, and now for friends kids who are doing the same. I got funny looks for it when they opened it, and quiet thank yous six months later.

1 Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook (the red checkered one)
1 Set of measuring cups and spoons
1 Casserole dish
1 wooden spoon, and 1 serving spoon

There's half a dozen post it notes in the cookbook for some of the really basic recipes and cooking timing charts.

I had to learn to cook the hard way, and I figured I could give some people a leg up.
vchan000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan000 View Post
I've had a standard housewarming gift for cousins as they grow up and move out for the first time, and now for friends kids who are doing the same. I got funny looks for it when they opened it, and quiet thank yous six months later.

1 Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook (the red checkered one)
1 Set of measuring cups and spoons
1 Casserole dish
1 wooden spoon, and 1 serving spoon

There's half a dozen post it notes in the cookbook for some of the really basic recipes and cooking timing charts.

I had to learn to cook the hard way, and I figured I could give some people a leg up.
That's an awesome gift! And it reminded me quite viscerally of a similar gift I received as a "going to college" gift a long time ago from a family friend. It included a roasting pan, a cookbook, a cutting board, wooden spoons and oven mitts. I kept it for 6-7yrs unused, but 20yrs later I'm still using every single item from that gift. Thanks for bringing back that memory, heck I just used the cutting board to cut up some herbs and lemons for my roast chicken dinner tonight!
Old 12-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I absolutely love to cook. I didn't really learn how to cook well until I taught myself with the help of the internet. Oh, internet, is there anything you can't do?

Seriously though, I credit Allrecipes, America's Test Kitchen, and Epicurious. Mom is a great cook, but she didn't really teach me growing up.

I do love to eat out, and it's so much easier to work in with our good old friend, the Internet, providing the calorie counts. Nowadays, you can even get a salad or some type of healthful convenience food at a gas station, so it is nice to have options when you're just not feeling culinarily inclined.

Oh, and don't let me forget about the crockpot for when you're not feeling like cooking but eating out isn't an option i.e. you're broke.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #27  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I'll add BudgetBytes.com as a great resource for a novice cook. She breaks down each ingredient by price, and gives you step-by-step photos. So not only is it budget friendly, but you'll always know what to do because you can see each step.

She just put out a cookbook too. Darnit, I should have put that on my Christmas list!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #28  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, I was a young wife with virtually no cooking experience and I second the red plaid Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. Everything I've made out of that book came out as promised.

The other thing that really taught me how to cook (how to be confident, at least) was a crock pot. Roast-like cuts of meat really intimidated me and the little cookbook that came with my crock pot was a big help and it helped the budget since crock pots were virtually made for cheap cuts of meat.

My other "beginners" suggestion would be a dutch oven large enough to hold a good sized chicken or small turkey. Maybe the bird doesn't come out "picture perfect" but it makes it super easy to consistently prepare moist poultry that leaves you with drippings to make a gravy with.

Last edited by ReNew Me; 12-17-2014 at 11:41 AM.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

My favorite site right now is Skinny Kitchen. A lot of great recipes on there and they list the WW points (even though I double check them). Plus she has shopping tips for finding some of the more oddball stuff. I also used a little bit of $5 dinners. It's not necessarily diet food, but she breaks things down by price and goes into prep for freezing 20 or so meals at once.

Also, I agree ReNew Me. I absolutely love my crock pot. It's been a life saver both in cook time (cause you can just throw things in and leave it) and in introducing me to cooking.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #30  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

I read your whole post, I know how to cook but I'm not the best at it
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote