Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #1  

Question Advice for Calories Intake and Losing Weight Gradually

Hi guys,

I'm new here. I'm 25, female. I am obese. I lost confident as I grow fatter for the past 7 years. I am only 155cm with a weight of 98kg. According to NHS website, my heaviest weight can only be 60kg. I've been wanting to slim down but I clearly know that not much efforts were put in previously. Recently, something happened (not related to health though). I finally spend a lot of efforts reading dietary and exercise articles on the internet. Though I know I cannot fully rely on those articles, at least I know where to start from.

According to NHS calories calculator (something like that), I need to take 1770-2500 cal a day. And according to the advice, if I want to lose weight, I need to stick to the 1770 cal. I believe I can do that since I don't usually crave for a lot of food, I eat just to fill my hunger. On the other hand, I've been reading that if I want to lose more weight, I need deficit in calories. So the nett calories that I should take a day is around 1200-1300 cal.

I weighed myself at the gym each week for better accuracy, I weighted 98kg on 11/9, I then weighted 97kg on 17/9. During that week, I only went to the gym twice, each session I did 350 cal elliptical machine and 200 rowing machine. I also cut down my calories intake to around 1200 cal a day (didn't really starve myself though).

Assuming my gym schedule is going to be consistent, 4 days a week, Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Sunday each week, each session I'm burning 550 calories. That would be a total of 2200 calories burnt a week.

My breakfast intake is estimated to be 400 cal (randomly - biscuits, yogurt, bread, oat, milk+cereal).
My lunch is also about 400 cal (on gym day, I would get myself half small bowl of white rice and 5-6 chicken cubes, non gym day i probably eat only sandwich since I sit all day doing my work on computer).
My dinner is about 300-400 cal (randomly - vege, chicken, fish, banana, yogurt, brioche bread).

Many of my friends who successfully diet told me, if I workout enough, I can eat anything I want. But to me, I think controlling diet is also important if I want to see good result. Now I start to check out the calories whenever I eat something.

I definitely understand I shouldn't be rushing to lose weight as it might affect my health. But is having able to cut down 1kg a week healthy or is it too much? Some people was able to lose more than 1kg a week, I don't think I can do that and I don't think i want that. If 1kg per week is not harmful, I would stick with it. I've got a friend who loses almost 100kg in 9 months. That's totally crazy to me. He cut down all his fast food meals and do 700 cal in gym, 5 days a week. Does this have to do with gender?

This is my very first time being so into losing weight, I'm still trying to gain knowledge in this area, I want to be confident and healthy again. I gained 4-5 kg each year, I think it's time to stop this. Any help/advice would be much appreciated. If anyone see "problems" from the above, could you kindly point it out? Negative/positive are all welcome, I'm very determined to change this time. Thank you very much.
Sap8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 365/223/165

Height: 5'6"

I've heard/read that men lose faster than women, if so might not be the best comparison to make. I know that Weight Watchers starts heavier people out with more food (calories) at first and then gradually lowers it as weight is lost, so looking at that, starting a little higher seems like a good idea. I fail when I go too low, I feel great at first then after a few days I crash and make up for the food I didn't eat, not good!

The greatest obstacle I face is impatience, ironically that one thing can knock me on my butt faster than any food temptation and leads me to start munching out then that makes my goal farther to reach. Personally, staying calm and being patient is the best success I can have.

Michelle Friday is offline   Reply With Quote