Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-27-2014, 02:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Default Surprised and sometimes not in a good way

Does anyone feel like this sometimes?

I look at my weight ticker and think " wo I've lost "x" amount of pounds!" but then think soon after that thought, "damn, I can't believe I had to lose that much and still be at "x" weight. " my weight is my demon I suppose. I'm happy I lost, really I am. But I'm very unhappy I had to lose it in the first place. I just want to come to a point where my overweight or my maintance weight isn't my life. Right now it consumes me. What do I weigh today? Did I lose? ( repeatedly in my mind) did I gain? Will I reach goal or under goal? Will I maintain that too? God, sometimes it tiring. Hopefully I will continue to lose and hit under goal and maintain. Because that is something I've never done before. Ever.
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:12 AM   #2  
Still Chubby

S/C/G: 79.8/72.5/66kg

Height: 172cm

I've had ~30lbs to lose for yearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrssssssssssssss. You have lost almost 40lbs!

So when you get discouraged or overwhelmed by the prospect of it all, remember this: To me, you are a wonder and an inspiration. You've succeeded where I've failed for years. You. Are. Awesome. (reread as necessary).
tinneranne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:54 AM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I know what you mean! It's really frustrating and it can be all consuming sometimes. You really have made incredible progress and you must know what you're doing considering how much you've lost already.

I think this is more of a mental battle than anything else. Weighing daily can be very discouraging. Perhaps you could focus on the things you do and just trust in the fact that what you're doing works? Ideally, I think that weighing once a month could take some of that pressure off, but I'm totally speculating here about the scale and it might be a motivating factor for some people.

Ever time you get discouraged, maybe you could remind yourself that in one year from now, you could be where you are now or at a higher weight, or you could be at a much lower weight, even if it's not maybe exactly where you want to be.

So many people lose weight but get frustrated because of how slow it feels and then they just don't think it's worth it and they give up. Personally, I fee like the weight is coming off at a snail's pace....but it clearly IS coming off.

I recently picked up a weighted hula hoop that I have. I think it weighs around 5 lbs. It suddenly occurred to me how much that is! Losing 5 lbs. of fat is SO MUCH. It seems like so many magazines and t.v. programs show us people who lose weight incredibly fast and that sets up unrealistic expectations for us regular folks. Keep in mind that making healthy changes you can live with for the rest of your life is the key. Anyway, back to the hula hoop....it was a visual reminder for me that whenever I lose 5 lbs., I lose this really large, heavy thing and it makes sense that it should take a while....a very long while. So whenever I'm feeling frustrated, I"ll pick it up and remind myself.

Hang in there....just keep doing what you're doing and make changes as needed, get support here and there's no reason why you can't reach your goals.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Yes, you are both right.
TinnerAnne2: such kind words and maybe my confidence is too low. You help me with the words you typed and emotions you feel.

Luckymommy: yes I need to think about 5 lbs differently. Not "just" 5 lbs but " wow 5 lbs!"

It's so hard when your self confidence and esteem are based on the scale. I do compare myself all the time. Sometimes it's a helper but more often than not, it's a damaged. I'm me. That's it. I am who I am and I must be strong willed and strong minded to have lost what I have so far. Thanks ladies
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #5  
maintaining since 9/2013

cheddahcat, I used to always put weight loss as a footnote to the rest of my life. like an unpleasant side show, not the main attraction. 'If I could just lose the weight, I can get to all the things that really matter...' or 'once I get my weight down, iI can do whatever I want , [including eating, unfortunately] I lost and regained a lot about 3 times and then gradually gained more than I had ever gained.

This time, as I turned 60, I reached goal for the first time ever. I've come to realize in the last 11 mo of struggling to maintain my weight that it IS the main attraction, or at least one of them. My quality of life in every sphere is affected by my eating and body size. It's just a fact. It's having energy for the things I love to do, sharper mental functioning, ease of movement, clothes looking well and easy to find, less health worries, on and on. A big one, sad but true, is that people are much nicer to slim people than they are to heavier people. Friends and family stay constant but everyone else--wow! It may be shallow but it's nice to get a smile in return instead of a blank stare or disapproving frown, and all the other non-verbal cues that are exchanged in the course of day.

On one hand, it's good to practice loving yourself for who you are no matter what you weigh. And do go out and live your life to the fullest without waiting to get to your goal--dare to enjoy yourself & your life in any body size! On the other hand, it's a gift to yourself to stick with getting to goal in a healthy way. The process is too darned slow, but it's a good opportunity to work on getting your head in the right place to eat healthy and enjoyably for the long haul.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by mars735; 07-27-2014 at 03:58 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote