Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Default Eating TDEE

So I was looking at the calorie reports for myself over the past couple of weeks from myfitnesspal. I have changed the way I eat. I now eat mostly whole foods, like you would find them in their natural state. I haven't been eating wheat, nor sugar, and the only grains I have been eating are steel cut oats in the morning and occasionally a quarter cup cooked brown rice or quinoa. I do eat legumes, although not daily. I use butter, olive oil and coconut oil for my cooking fats, and I eat a lot of vegetables, with some fruits (less than 2 servings per day). I also occasionally eat sweet potatoes.

My calorie estimate to eat is between 1600-1800, based on my input activity from my fitbit. I have been under this goal every day, not really on purpose, just because I only eat until I am satisfied, and haven't felt the need to eat more.

My question is, has anyone just estimated the total daily energy expenditure for their goal weight and gone with that, instead of something from myfitnesspal or similar? I looked up the TDEE for a 150 pound person, and it is about 2000 for someone exercising 3 times per week. I exercise 5-6 times per week. So conservatively, this would be a little less than what I would need to maintain, but still more than what I am eating now.

I don't really know what kind of input I am seeking, just personal experiences or any comments from those experienced folks out there. I wonder if I am just not eating enough to support my strenuous exercise routine. Also, if I get used to eating 1600-1800, and I really need more than that, if I ever make it to maintenance, that might seem a little much if I am not used to eating it. Thoughts? Comments?
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #2  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

I use the TDEE-% method, rather than MFP's, to create my deficit. I haven't based it on my goal weight, rather my current weight. It should be about 1900 (between what I have tracked while maintaining and as sort of an average between various calculators). I'm going aggressive right now at 1900-20%, so 1520, but will likely cut that back to about 15% or even 10% once I reach 130 again. My goal is to lose body fat, and that needs to go slowly because I don't want to lose a ton of muscle. Now if only I could actually eat at my deficit rather than TDEE...

I think it's a fine idea to eat at maintenance for your goal weight. Just be aware (and accepting of) the fact that the weight might come off pretty slowly. If you can mentally handle that, it's a great idea to try.

The MFP forums have a good variety of suggestions for calorie dense foods if you have trouble making your calorie goal. Just scroll past the snarky responses and look for lists of foods. A couple ideas off the top of my head are nuts and avocado. You didn't mention if you eat meat and/or dairy, but certain meats and full fat cheeses/dairy products could help you meet your higher calorie goal as well if you're struggling.

ETA: I am really liking the TDEE method because I don't have to try to estimate how many exercise calories to eat back. Even though I'm struggling to get to my deficit/be good with tracking, it's useful not to have to worry about figuring out how many calories my exercise burns. Allows me to just track minutes spent and enjoy what I'm doing exercise-wise.

Last edited by atmos; 05-05-2014 at 02:42 PM.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #3  

I do eat quite a bit of lean meat in poultry and pork, some beef. I also eat fish, either fresh caught from the gulf(on our boat), as well as wild caught salmon and light canned tuna in water or olive oil. I do eat eggs, too. I don't have the money to buy grass fed meats(college student), so I try to eat the leaner meats in the land animals. There is a great company here locally that I would love to buy their meat exclusively-they are sustainable, humane and grass fed/pastured meats only. I do eat chia, flax, and walnuts(daily) and some other tree nuts weekly. I do eat full fat cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, because fat free is gross. I don't typically buy low fat cheeses (usually just regular fat content), but I do use skim milk because I mix it with whey protein, and don't want the full fat content there after a workout. I think I will increase my fats and decrease my carbs to hit my calorie goal, and hope I will lose something eventually. It has been nothing for the past few weeks, so I am pretty used to it by now!
Old 05-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis View Post
Also, if I get used to eating 1600-1800, and I really need more than that, if I ever make it to maintenance, that might seem a little much if I am not used to eating it. Thoughts? Comments?
I can't imagine any amount of food seeming like "too much." I wish I could, but I can't.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #5  

I know it seems weird. I never thought any amount of food would seem like "too much" either. I decided I was going to try to increase calories today, and I just couldn't-too full. Oh well. I guess maybe if I make it to goal again this time (the scale says I won't be making it there any time real soon), I will have to figure something out. I know what increases hunger-white starchy things. But I can't stop eating those things. So I guess I will just have to keep eating at a deficit. Or maybe I could do what John P says he does and eat less during the week and eat more for two days...
Old 05-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
I wonder if I am just not eating enough to support my strenuous exercise routine. Also, if I get used to eating 1600-1800, and I really need more than that, if I ever make it to maintenance, that might seem a little much if I am not used to eating it. Thoughts? Comments?
In my opinion you are way over thinking this.

You can always add calories into your diet if you have to. It's very easy to get in more calories. Since you seem to be into the idea of eating "clean" you can always add a couple glasses of coconut water or almond milk a day if you really need more calories.

You also may find that as your life changes you no longer want to strenuously exercise 5-6 times a week.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I think if you could eat at 2000 and knew you were still losing weight, that would be brilliant. If you are finding it hard to meet your current calorie limits, you are probably eating somewhat boringly and could benefit from increasing your calories at least to reach your limits by varying your diet a fair bit more.

I would skip the low fat anything. You won't put the fat back you've just burnt off. It will be burnt off.

I think losing slowly is great. I like it. I like being able to eat more. Food is so much more fun when you can eat more.

But when you increase your calorie intake, i think you should try to do it a bit slowly, not just switch up in one fell move because your metabolism may need to catch up with it.

I would definitely do this if i thought i could get away with it. But as i don't do any exercise i feel i need to be a little more careful but now i'm going to check out what my TDEE is. Thanks for introducing me to this new term which no doubt i will forget the moment i will leave this thread.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #8  

Thanks JohnP. I know for sure I won't be able to keep up the exercise, because school is about to get really intense. I probably am overthinking it. I seem to be comfortable and not hungry with what I eat right now, so I will just keep it up. I didn't think about drinking the calories-that's a good idea.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #9  
banned

Oh wow, i am keen to have a go at this. My TDEE is 1800 for 5.'4", 130 pounds, 8 hours sleeping and 16 hours sitting. So i have not factored in any exercise.

If i can reach my goal eating 1700 calories a day i'm rather inclined to give it a go. I also calculated my TDEE for my current weight and it shows it would be 200 Calories more than my goal TDEE, so i think that sounds all very reasonable and i'll probably still reach my goal by the end of the year. I guess.

But it might mean i will have to do some serious calorie counting work in the beginning which could be a drag.

Last edited by Pattience; 05-05-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #10  

Pattience- the only thing I buy low fat is skim milk, but that's just because I mix it in with my whey after lifting and don't want to slow its uptake. I eat a really good variety of foods, so I don't really feel bored at all. Just full. I was bored to tears when I did south beach, so I pay attention now and vary my foods. I am always buying and trying new veggies, meats and fruits. I really just think that whole food does wonders for my appetite. I fully enjoy my food. I had a wonderful steak the other night, for example, and last night I had some great spinach cooked up with garlic-yum!. At some point, I intend to go out for some chicken wings-my favorite, although far from low calorie! I am just gonna keep keeping on, because I am comfortable and still able to hit the weights (and the streets) hard, so it seems like I will be able to keep going for awhile longer anyway.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #11  
banned

ah well ok. I was thinking of foods like nuts seeds and yummy cheeses. I've recently started including some super dried fruits like figs and dates but ill only be eating those in moderation. I have to be really careful with dried fruit so won't be eating sultanas and most other dried fruit very often. I bought a fresh coconut the other day. I love coconut but my father asked why i bought one as we have them all around the joint for the taking. I said i didnt' want to peel it.

I made fresh ricotta two days ago. So yummy and i love my yoghurt. With lots of cheeses, i don't think food could ever be boring. I don't eat much meat but want to have sauces sometimes on things and pastry sometimes and deep fried things sometimes. And even chips sometimes. I don't really have problems with most of those foods so long as they aren't sweet. Although its meaty, i will be able to have a good old aussie meat pie if the mood takes me though i prefer the seafood pies.

Your TDEE idea is probably the scientific approach to French Women Don't get Fat.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #12  

I definitely eat nuts, seeds and cheese! I have walnuts every day as well as flax and chia seeds, and some other nuts, too. I read something one time about the French, too that said even though the French eat a lot of bread, their bread is waaay different than ours, with less gmo wheat, and perhaps sprouted grains. All I know is I have some issues controlling myself around pasta, bread, sugar, and even certain fruits. I will eat dried fruit all day long, so I just don't eat very much any more. I also think I might have some other issues with bread, because I bought a loaf of Ezekiel bread awhile back, thinking I would have a sandwich. My stomach hurt all day after eating that sandwich, and I had sharp pains in my gut, too. I haven't eaten it since. I don't know if that was the bread or not, but maybe I will try that experiment again. That bread didn't seem to trigger the insatiable need to eat more and more bread, either. Neither does brown rice or quinoa, or other (whole) sources of carbohydrates, like potatoes, though I usually only eat small portions. I eat a fair amount of coconut oil daily, and put some dried flakes ofcoconut on stuff, too. I bought some coconut flour to see if any baked goods made with it would be edible or not.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Pattience- the only thing I buy low fat is skim milk, but that's just because I mix it in with my whey after lifting and don't want to slow its uptake.
You've been misled by advertising and/or BB.com bros.

There is no reason, at all, to worry about the "uptake" speed of your protein shake. Skim vs whole would make very little difference in the speed at which the whey is digested anyways.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #14  

I kind of already suspected that, but old habits die hard lol... also, there are "unpleasant tummy feelings" I suffer when I drink/eat a high fat thing right after exercising-wussy stomach I guess. So if I can avoid that, I am good! I figure if I barf it up, it doesn't do any good at all! It passes through really quick as it's coming back up, I can tell you that much!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:16 AM   #15  
banned

Well that's great you are eating all those yummy things.

Their bread is different but i don't know what gmo is. Its just not the disgusting white slice bits of nothing that is popular in america australia and britain. They like their simple baguettes.

I was in france last year. The bread i liked to eat most of the time called Une Tradition. It is white bread but is made with strong flour. Also they don't fill it up with preservatives and other junky things. The bread is basically stale by the afternoon. But when you get it fresh. its great.

So they always eat bread on the side with a meal such as a salad and or some other stewy vegetable thing. and as Mireille whatever her name said, at restaurants they don't serve you bread as a course before your meal. The bread is to be eaten with the rest of the meal.

Of course they eat sandwiches but they love their vegies and they love it that their foods is always prepared to be delicious and they don't eat lots of prefabricated sauces and junk, although this is gradually changing. There supermarkets are wonderful places but they have good quality in them too.

When i was there, i was eating a fair bit of super yummy sweet things but not being a pig because i was trying to lose weight as well. But i asked a frenchwoman about how they cope with all the delicious things, including croissants and she said, Oh no, only once a week!

I did see that there were more wholegrain breads around and people were buying them. Interestingly, you don't even have to buy a whole loaf. you can just buy half a loaf and the baker person will put the other half back in the basket to sell to someone else. They also still have lesser quality baguettes and breads but most people seem to like the better quality. I haven't heard anything about using sprouted grains. In fact i only heard about this concept for the first time at all just the other day.

I've just decided/realised that now i'm in the healthy weight range, i can deliciously my meals more. I'm having fish tonight and stumbled upon a thing called Quenelles which is a french dish i've had on numerous occasions over there. You can't buy them here so i'm going to get around to making my own, but not today. They will be like a fish sausage made with butter flour, water and milk and you have them with a sauce as if it were pasta. Now that i can fill up on tons of vegies, i know that i can keep my serving side modest and won't worry about the calories in it.

Today at lunch, which i am frenchifying now with courses. i had a side salad of plain cabbage - yes i know hardly amazing. But i enjoy a little bit of raw cabbage. Then i was going to put my ratatouille (stewed vegies ) on toast but decided to have them with pasta instead. I used to eat pasta by the cupful but i went for half a cup which when cooked comes to a cup and 1 tbsp of parmesan. And it was visibly less than i am used to. So that went well but i had a little bit of room left. Rather than eat more of the same, i ate half a cup of stewed pears and a half a cup of natural yoghurt.

Actually it occurred to me, that people could get over their bread pasta thing if they ate something different after their serve. Fruit is a good finisher. It never makes me want to keep on stuffing myself even though i love it.