Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #16  

It's a cliche, but nonetheless true: Losing weight (and eventually maintaining it) is about persistence, not perfection. In fact, I often try to think of episodes like the one you described as opportunities to think about how I might have reacted to such circumstances in past [failed] attempts and think about how I will react to them now: Will I use it as an excuse to overeat even more? (You didn't do that, so kudos!) Will I label myself a failure over that one incident? I try to put it in perspective, thinking about the fact that I will need to keep this weight off for the rest of my life, and I know that I will overeat again in my life, so what can I learn from it? In your case, if it's not a habit, then shrug it off. If you are consistently ravenous when you get home from work, have a game plan---e.g., have a snack planned or some routine (a short nap) that will take you out of that desperate mode of "I must have food now."
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #17  
Obsessed

S/C/G: 265/230/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
It's a cliche, but nonetheless true: Losing weight (and eventually maintaining it) is about persistence, not perfection. In fact, I often try to think of episodes like the one you described as opportunities to think about how I might have reacted to such circumstances in past [failed] attempts and think about how I will react to them now: Will I use it as an excuse to overeat even more? (You didn't do that, so kudos!) Will I label myself a failure over that one incident? I try to put it in perspective, thinking about the fact that I will need to keep this weight off for the rest of my life, and I know that I will overeat again in my life, so what can I learn from it? In your case, if it's not a habit, then shrug it off. If you are consistently ravenous when you get home from work, have a game plan---e.g., have a snack planned or some routine (a short nap) that will take you out of that desperate mode of "I must have food now."
Thank you! Great advice.
CooCooCaChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #18  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Eh, you're just an amateur! When I go overboard, it's by a thousand calories or more. Two-hundred calories doesn't even register on my guilt/disappointment meter. Forget about it and move on!

F.
"Like"

Being perfect is a little like walking a tightrope. It's the times we slip and get back on track that lead to long term success, imho. I've slipped more times than I'd like to admit. Strange as it may sound, I feel more relaxed about it all now because I've managed to get back on track each time. Keep feeling proud of your healthy new style of eating!

Last edited by mars735; 04-05-2014 at 06:08 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #19  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

CooCooCaChoo congrats for not falling completely off the wagon, that's definitely a step in the right direction. The fact that you reached out for help and got back to your plan shows a strong commitment to your lifestyle change.

I'm still sometimes baffled by the way I react sometimes.

You've gotten great advice, it's part of the journey, keep at it, best of luck

Last edited by kelijpa; 04-05-2014 at 10:37 PM.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #20  
Obsessed

S/C/G: 265/230/175

Height: 5'5"

Thank you so much everyone. You have all made me feel so much better. Everything you all have said and shared made so much sense.

This is the kind of thing that would have thrown me off balance permanently before, and I am proud of myself for over coming it and staying on track. I will remember this episode if I stumble again. XOXO
CooCooCaChoo is offline   Reply With Quote