Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #1  

Unhappy Can sugar cause a plateau?

So For several months since last year (August) every night ive been having ice cream a big chunk og my calorie amount for the day containing 300+ calories and 30+ grams of sugar. Ive been at a plateau for such a long time over 2 months really between 112-114 and I was 106 and skinnier in august i want t be like that again. Does refined sugar like sweets hinder weight loss? Any experience with it? What happened when you quit? I am almost 2 days free of ice cream and instead have smart pop 100 calorie popcorn as a night snack.
Should I do fruit instead or 100 cal popcorn?

I just can't lose and this plateau is getting on my nerves I just want to fit into my clothes again.
erizek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

If you're plateauing, it may be because you're already at a very low weight, rather than your macronutrient composition.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
If you're plateauing, it may be because you're already at a very low weight, rather than your macronutrient composition.

F.
I was 106 in august i just wanna get back to that how can i break the plateau than?
Old 04-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #4  
Warrior Princess

How tall are you?

How many calories total are you eating per day?
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #5  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Way too little information, but 106 is a low, low weight for most heights. Sometimes a body can reach a low weight, but it's really hard to maintain.

Theoretically yes, sugar can cause a stall. BUT that's dependent on about 700 other variables. You can always experiment with cutting down on how much you eat it or how often without giving it up completely.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
How tall are you?

How many calories total are you eating per day?
900-1300 and i am 5'1.5"
Old 04-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
Way too little information, but 106 is a low, low weight for most heights. Sometimes a body can reach a low weight, but it's really hard to maintain.

Theoretically yes, sugar can cause a stall. BUT that's dependent on about 700 other variables. You can always experiment with cutting down on how much you eat it or how often without giving it up completely.
Since i have been having it since august in that sugar amount so can that be reason? I eat 900-1300 calories a day depending. I am 5'1.5" btw
Old 04-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #8  

Hi erizek
Don't want to over step new to this but you may want to try to raising your calorie intake while also staggering your calories. Like 1200 cal one day, 1400 the next, 950 the next like for 5-10 days just to wake up your metabolism.
And about the ice cream cravings what I do is mix Greek yogurt with cocoa powder and add a little stevia (liquid kind) and chill for about 30 min. Its tastes pretty good. Hope this helps. Have a good day
AnastasiaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #9  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I don't think it is the sugar per se that causing the stall but your lack of nutrition could be unhelpful.

ditch the ice-cream. Eat fruit and/or yoghurt.

Why would anyone want to ruin perfectly delicious greek yoghurt with cocoa powder and stevia. That's sounds gross! Sorry but not good food in my opinion. Weird concoctions like this do not help one learn how to eat healthy and maintain a healthy body weight IMHO.

Erizek, assuming you are talking about still being in your healthy weight range, look up appropriate calories using a calorie calculator. Make sure everything you eat has nutrition in it. i mean protein, vitamins minerals and other beneficial nutrients. Learn about them if you lack a good understanding.

Maybe a bit of calorie cycling would help. Something of the kind is mentioned in the article on seratonin on the nutrition wonderland website. While you are there read about leptin, insulin, fibre, as well.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #10  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Why would anyone want to ruin perfectly delicious greek yoghurt with cocoa powder and stevia. That's sounds gross! Sorry but not good food in my opinion. Weird concoctions like this do not help one learn how to eat healthy and maintain a healthy body weight IMHO.
Lots of people like and eat cocoa powder. Lots of people like and eat stevia.

If I commented negatively every time someone posted something that they enjoy that *I* personally find "gross", I sure would be a Negative Nelly.

Don't be a Negative Nelly.

This post brought to you by the International Board For Tolerance of Other People's Weird Taste Buds (IBFTOPWTB).

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 04-02-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post

If I commented negatively every time someone posted something that they enjoy that *I* personally find "gross", I sure would be a Negative Nelly.

This post brought to you by the International Board For Tolerance of Other People's Weird Taste Buds (IBFTOPWTB).
LOVE this! So true.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #12  
Making it a lifestyle!

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post

Seconded.

(I happen to be fond of the same 'concoction', btw.)
Chronostasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #13  

If you are controlling for calories and eating at a caloric deficit then *what* you eat shouldn't be a problem. I know rail thin people who eat nothing but junk food. Have you tried eating half the ice cream that you would normally eat? I hope you're getting in some more nutrient-dense foods for the rest of your meals.

Last edited by Locke; 04-02-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #14  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by erizek View Post
Since i have been having it since august in that sugar amount so can that be reason? I eat 900-1300 calories a day depending. I am 5'1.5" btw
I would reason that since that's such a significant part of your daily calories, it could be. Just whittle down your portion to begin with and see if that helps.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 140/135/110

Height: 5'2"

You could try eating the ice cream earlier in the day. My Mom eats ice cream for breakfast a lot, and she's really thin. This way you work it off during the day. Also, to break the plateau you could try exercising or fasting, but I wouldn't do both at once.
GetHealthy is offline   Reply With Quote